Thread: Nutting dismisses sale rumors

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Nutting dismisses sale rumors

Pirates owner Nutting dismisses sale rumors
    By Rob Biertempfel, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010

BRADENTON, Fla. The Pirates are not going anywhere, and for the first time in years, neither are many of their best players.

Principal owner Bob Nutting staunchly repeated Tuesday that the franchise is not for sale. And, speaking at a team meeting, Nutting said the Pirates could be a buyer at the trade deadline if they are in the playoff hunt.

"The last couple of years. there's been the concern of who's going to be with the team in September," Nutting said. "That's much less of a discussion now. This team needs to jell, to set its own standards and perform.

"We're going to see, throughout the season additions to the team, I would hope."

Team president Frank Coonelly also addressed the players and coaches before yesterday's first full-squad workout. He raised comparisons between this club and the 1960 Pirates, which won the World Series after a decade of futility.

"The expectation level has been raised," Coonelly said. "We believe this team can be the one that turns this franchise around. And instead of being concerned about subtractions from the team, this is a core to which we can add."

That's welcome news to the players, most of whom grew weary of what seemed to be an endless cycle of trades.

"It's good, knowing we're not going to dismantle it again," third baseman Andy LaRoche said.

The Pirates should have the financial flexibility to add players. Their expected Opening Day payroll of about $35 million likely will be the lowest in the majors.

Coonelly gave what he called "a strong vote of confidence" to general manager Neal Huntington and manager John Russell. However, neither Nutting nor Coonelly would discuss the management team's contract status.

"That's not a great topic on the first day of spring training to speculate on who's going to be here," Nutting said. "Organizations are build on long-term (commitments), not speculation. They are built on people who are performing effectively. I have a lot of faith in the leadership that's been put in place, both on field and in the front office."

Last year, one week into spring training, the Pirates extended Russell's contract for 2010. He has a club option in his contract for 2011. Huntington is in the final year of a three-year contract.

Nutting bristled when asked about a recent offer by Penguins co-owners Ron Burkle and Mario Lemieux to purchase the Pirates.

"It's pretty clear," Nutting said. "The team has not been for sale, the team is not for sale, and the team is not going to be sold."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_668595.html
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 10

Default Re: Nutting dismisses sale rumors

That must be some strong **** these guys are smoking. The next dynasty? Comparing this team to the 1960 Pirates? This is like the Gong Show on crack!

Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is like the Gong Show on crack!
    Well.... Chuck Barris.... Crack.... Not out of the question....
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 10

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9R28b8XXoXs"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9R28b8XXoXs[/ame]

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    Pirates owner Nutting dismisses sale rumors
    By Rob Biertempfel, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010

BRADENTON, Fla. The Pirates are not going anywhere, and for the first time in years, neither are many of their best players.

Principal owner Bob Nutting staunchly repeated Tuesday that the franchise is not for sale. And, speaking at a team meeting, Nutting said the Pirates could be a buyer at the trade deadline if they are in the playoff hunt.

"The last couple of years. there's been the concern of who's going to be with the team in September," Nutting said. "That's much less of a discussion now. This team needs to jell, to set its own standards and perform.

"We're going to see, throughout the season additions to the team, I would hope."

Team president Frank Coonelly also addressed the players and coaches before yesterday's first full-squad workout. He raised comparisons between this club and the 1960 Pirates, which won the World Series after a decade of futility.

"The expectation level has been raised," Coonelly said. "We believe this team can be the one that turns this franchise around. And instead of being concerned about subtractions from the team, this is a core to which we can add."

That's welcome news to the players, most of whom grew weary of what seemed to be an endless cycle of trades.

"It's good, knowing we're not going to dismantle it again," third baseman Andy LaRoche said.

The Pirates should have the financial flexibility to add players. Their expected Opening Day payroll of about $35 million likely will be the lowest in the majors.

Coonelly gave what he called "a strong vote of confidence" to general manager Neal Huntington and manager John Russell. However, neither Nutting nor Coonelly would discuss the management team's contract status.

"That's not a great topic on the first day of spring training to speculate on who's going to be here," Nutting said. "Organizations are build on long-term (commitments), not speculation. They are built on people who are performing effectively. I have a lot of faith in the leadership that's been put in place, both on field and in the front office."

Last year, one week into spring training, the Pirates extended Russell's contract for 2010. He has a club option in his contract for 2011. Huntington is in the final year of a three-year contract.

Nutting bristled when asked about a recent offer by Penguins co-owners Ron Burkle and Mario Lemieux to purchase the Pirates.

"It's pretty clear," Nutting said. "The team has not been for sale, the team is not for sale, and the team is not going to be sold."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_668595.html
    I guess that's what owners do... get overly optimistic

I'm just trying to figure out if it's a requirement for everyone in the Pittsburgh media to write an article about how Bob Nutting is NOT selling the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    I'm just trying to figure out if it's a requirement for everyone in the Pittsburgh media to write an article about how Bob Nutting is NOT selling the team.
    Well... It's gotta be "thought about" with the way things have gone recently. But a strong or at least decent season could go a long way at quelling these sort of rumors/comments... The same sort of strong/decent season would also go a long way to filling the seats and make them a little less apt to making such comments... Who knows, but just my opinion.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    Well... It's gotta be "thought about" with the way things have gone recently. But a strong or at least decent season could go a long way at quelling these sort of rumors/comments... The same sort of strong/decent season would also go a long way to filling the seats and make them a little less apt to making such comments... Who knows, but just my opinion.
    That;s not it though. It's not the reason for making an article on the subject. That's justifiable. I'm just trying to figure out why the same story keeps being rehashed by the next writer in Pittsburgh. We learned days and days ago Nutting wasn't selling. It was said in a podcast and was captured on video days and days ago... Does Bob Biertempfel WHO IS AT SPRING TRAINING not really have anything else he can write an article about instead of a topic that others have covered multiple times?

Not even a World series will stop the demand for new ownership Mainly because people are dumb and the equate success with how much payers are paid and payroll amounts... I take that back, a payroll in the Top 5 of the league or a salary cap is what will be needed

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information