Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Canada vs Slovakia

Threads : 47
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Canada vs Slovakia

Yes that's right. The Slovaks upset the defending goal medalist Swedes 4-3. Earlier they beat the Russians 2-1 in a shootout. The Slovaks are playing the role of Cinderella. Will the clock strike midnight against a Canadian team that seems to have found it's A game after pounding Russia? Thoughts/Analysis?

Threads : 2
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Canada vs Slovakia

I can't see a letup on Canada's part at this point, so the clock will strike midnight for Cinderella.

Threads : 206

Nice to see everyone's back on the Team Canada bandwagon. A win over a German team that wasn't interested in scoring ...and another win over a Russian team that never got off the bus will do that.

I think Canada is (still) the favorite to win the Gold. After all they were the pre-tournament favorite, they evented the sport and they're playing at home.

The teams that if Canada trouble are the physical teams. Slovakia is not one of them. Finland or the USA could give Canada trouble in the Finals though.

Quote Originally Posted by (419)BlackNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nice to see [HIGH-LIGHT]everyone's back on the Team [/HIGH-LIGHT][HIGH-LIGHT]Canada bandwagon[/HIGH-LIGHT]. A win over a German team that wasn't interested in scoring ...and another win over a Russian team that never got off the bus will do that.

I think Canada is (still) the favorite to win the Gold. After all they were the pre-tournament favorite, they evented the sport and they're playing at home.
    Personally speaking, I never got off the bandwagon.

As for playing physically, Canada gets in trouble when they don't play physically, which they're able to do better than anyone else. If they decide to do this again and again, it'll be hard to stop them.
    Last edited by Crosby Clan; Feb-25-2010 at 12:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crosby Clan View Post
    Have you noticed how a lot of the Sports "talking heads" are jumping of the Ovechkin bandwagon today! LMAO

How often does a 6th seed (Canada) get to play a lower seed (Slovakia 7th) in the semi-finals of a tornament? Amazing!

How often does a 6th seed (Canada) get to play a lower seed (Slovakia 7th) in the semi-finals of a tornament? Amazing!
    I think they're reseeded as they move on.

Yeah it's nice to see Ovary's ***-kissing stop, 4 points in 4 games for him while Geno had 6.

Threads : 0

I hope to god Canada does even better against Slovakia than they did against Russia. Hossa winning a gold medal is almost as bad as Ovechkin winning one.

Quote Originally Posted by kszielin View Post
    I hope to god Canada does even better against Slovakia than they did against Russia. Hossa winning a gold medal is almost as bad as Ovechkin winning one.
    Bitter?

So are you rooting for Flip or Sparty?

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

As for playing physically, Canada gets in trouble when they don't play physically, which they're able to do better than anyone else. If they decide to do this again and again, it'll be hard to stop them.
    I have to disagree with you and 419 about the importance of playing physical.

Physicality has nothing to do with anything. It usually doesn't mean a whole lot but for some reason, hockey fans think being physical is a difference maker in winning and losing. Reality is that there's not really a big difference between teams in regards to "effective" physical play. A team that is "too" physical can hurt itself mroe than a team tht is overly soft because they spend too much time trying to hit and often take themselves out of position.

If physical play made a difference than the US wouldn't have beat Canada and Canada wouldn't have been able to outshoot the US by the margin they did and still lose.

Canada has more skill but the USA is clearly being coached extremely well. Canada in the US/Canada match up was outschemed and coached. he US went into that game in full pressure mode. Do you know what beat the Red Wings and Babcock last year? An aggressive/pressure scheme. the US brought that in the form of a 3-2 forecheck that was more aggressive than our forecheck against the Red Wings. The problem with the US is that their transition game isn't as good because they have more gritter types than puck moving types BUT when they would get into Canada's zone, Canada and their goalie couldn't handle the pressure at any point in that game...

Despite the shots on goal and time in the USA's end, the USA defense was keeping Canada to the outside and limiting them to a lot of low quality shots.

The US has been playing this way all Olympics and it's of course worked. If Canada wants to beat the US, Babcock needs to alter his transition game and defensive scheme to handle an agressive forecheck of the USA's. It can be done, but Babcock is bullheaded

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    I have to disagree with you and 419 about the importance of playing physical.

Physicality has nothing to do with anything. It usually doesn't mean a whole lot but for some reason, hockey fans think being physical is a difference maker in winning and losing. Reality is that there's not really a big difference between teams in regards to "effective" physical play. A team that is "too" physical can hurt itself mroe than a team tht is overly soft because they spend too much time trying to hit and often take themselves out of position.

If physical play made a difference than the US wouldn't have beat Canada and Canada wouldn't have been able to outshoot the US by the margin they did and still lose.

Canada has more skill but the USA is clearly being coached extremely well. Canada in the US/Canada match up was outschemed and coached. he US went into that game in full pressure mode. Do you know what beat the Red Wings and Babcock last year? An aggressive/pressure scheme. the US brought that in the form of a 3-2 forecheck that was more aggressive than our forecheck against the Red Wings. The problem with the US is that their transition game isn't as good because they have more gritter types than puck moving types BUT when they would get into Canada's zone, Canada and their goalie couldn't handle the pressure at any point in that game...

Despite the shots on goal and time in the USA's end, the USA defense was keeping Canada to the outside and limiting them to a lot of low quality shots.

The US has been playing this way all Olympics and it's of course worked. If Canada wants to beat the US, Babcock needs to alter his transition game and defensive scheme to handle an agressive forecheck of the USA's. It can be done, but Babcock is bullheaded
    We'll just disagree on this one. I'm not saying that if you play physical you'll win - the Cryers are evidence of that fallacy -but controlled, directed physical play can make a difference, especially against teams that don't like it. Obviously, there's a lot more in a winning formula.

We'll just disagree on this one. I'm not saying that if you play physical you'll win - the Cryers are evidence of that fallacy -but controlled, directed physical play can make a difference, especially against teams that don't like it. Obviously, there's a lot more in a winning formula.
    Ya, I agree to disagree as well. Russia (and I suspect Slovakia) is an example of a team that doesn't like physical play (ie hard, body checks.) The Russians weren't intimidated by the Canadians skill. They were intimidated by the Canadians drilling them every chance they got. Even big, bad A.O. was a shell of himself!! The Fins, Swedes, Germans, Swiss are a little more tolerant of hard checking than the former eastblock countries (ie; Russia, Belarus, Ukraine, Czech, etc)

Body checks lead to turnovers and turnovers often lead to goals.

But I agree there's a lot more that goes into winning and losing a hockey game. For instance... a hot goalie like Huet.

Threads : 0

Bitter?

So are you rooting for Flip or Sparty?
    I've disliked him since July 1, 2008. I don't enjoy players pretty much using my team as a free ride. I would like to thank him for making my day though when the Pens won the Cup and beat him.

And, definitely Filppula =]
    The only reason I really root for State in the first place is because my sister went there.
    Last edited by kszielin; Feb-25-2010 at 06:24 PM.

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PSmitty View Post
    The Slovaks are playing the role of Cinderella. Will the clock strike midnight against a Canadian team that seems to have found it's A game after pounding Russia? Thoughts/Analysis?
    The "medal shoes" will not fit the Slovaks, and their horse-drawn carriage into the big game will turn into a pumpkin tomorrow night. Cinderella will be dead.

.... Seriously though, I just do not see it going any further. Yea, it was a great run, but I see it ending tomorrow. Team Canada seems to have found the way to hit on all cylinders and just look too strong for me to pick against... If anything, I think Team USA has the more difficult road into the gold medal game, but we shall see come tomorrow evening... Either way, this has definitely been some of the best Olympic hockey I can remember.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 47

What is the opposite of Eurotrash?

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information