Thread: Steelers GM Colbert speaks

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Steelers GM Colbert speaks

Steelers GM Colbert speaks
    February, 25, 2010
    By James Walker

INDIANAPOLIS -- The Pittsburgh Steelers are having a very busy Thursday. So it was timely that Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert addressed the media at the NFL combine.

Here are several key notes from Colbert's news conference:

[HIGH-LIGHT]*[/HIGH-LIGHT] First and foremost, Colbert was happy to get the Casey Hampton deal out of the way. The Pro Bowl nose tackle reportedly signed for three years and $21 million. Colbert said he feels Hampton, 32, still has some good football left in him and hopes Hampton retires a Steeler.

[HIGH-LIGHT]*[/HIGH-LIGHT] Pittsburgh will continue to negotiate with kicker Jeff Reed, who received the franchise tag Thursday. The expectation is that both sides will reach a long-term deal before the start of the 2010 season.

"We've been in contact with Jeff and he's aware of the situation, and his agent is aware of the situation," Colbert said. "My goal is to lock Jeff up long term and have him finish his career with the Steelers. He's aware of that and aware that sometimes the process gets to this point where we all need to buy some time."

[HIGH-LIGHT]*[/HIGH-LIGHT] Colbert added that there are no concerns about Troy Polamalu's knee injury and that the safety is progressing fine this offseason.

[HIGH-LIGHT]*[/HIGH-LIGHT] The Steelers also view the rapid development of 2009 third-round pick Mike Wallace as a "bonus." Not much was expected of Wallace in his first year, but he caught 39 passes for 756 yards as a rookie and helped add a deep threat to Pittsburgh's offense.

[HIGH-LIGHT]*[/HIGH-LIGHT] Colbert said he's very impressed by this year's crop of college defensive linemen.

"This draft, however, there's more defensive linemen than I can remember in really 26 years of doing this -- not only the depth but the quality of depth as well," Colbert said.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Steelers GM Colbert speaks

Is that a hint that maybe D-line ain't gonna be the 1st round pick?
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Quote Originally Posted by Steelreign View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is that a hint that maybe D-line ain't gonna be the 1st round pick?
    I hope not... I still say that we need to draft Hamptons' replacement this season so as to groom him effectively... But that's just me.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 407
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    I hope not... I still say that we need to draft Hamptons' replacement this season so as to groom him effectively... But that's just me.
    I see us with one of the guys from East Carolina....later in the rounds.....for Casey's replacement.

Threads : 277

Mike Iupati (OG-OT) or Bruce Campbell (OT); In the Fourth, go for NT's Cam Thomas, Linval Joseph, or Torrell Troup, whomever is available.

I'd love to see the Steelers get the CB/S from IUP. Akwasa Owusu-Ansah. (Yes, he's Jewish....just a little humor there, guys!)

BAA at Cornerback or Safety in the Second and Toby RB Gearhart in the Third.

Filling out my draft--with our 6th and 7th Round choices, plus our one or two "comp" picks--another O lineman, another D lineman, plus a real fullback and a blocking TE.

We can scrap the FB, if the Steelers sign FA Owen Schmidt.

Quote Originally Posted by DCBILL View Post
    ... Once again, I would not mind this one bit.... But I doubt we go after him.

Threads : 407
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by DCBILL View Post
    Mike Iupati (OG-OT) or Bruce Campbell (OT); In the Fourth, go for NT's Cam Thomas, Linval Joseph, or Torrell Troup, whomever is available.

I'd love to see the Steelers get the CB/S from IUP. Akwasa Owusu-Ansah. (Yes, he's Jewish....just a little humor there, guys!)

BAA at Cornerback or Safety in the Second and Toby RB Gearhart in the Third.

Filling out my draft--with our 6th and 7th Round choices, plus our one or two "comp" picks--another O lineman, another D lineman, plus a real fullback and a blocking TE.

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    ... Once again, I would not mind this one bit.... But I doubt we go after him.
    Something tells me....they will shock us....like always.

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The Steelers are high on Sonny Harris and believe in his potential. If he has made progress since he re-signed and into the offseason, that would be 2 young D-lineman for the future. Drafting 2 more this draft would give us 4 young bodies to work with along the line and suddenly it doesn't look so bad there.
    I am still on the Taylor Mays bandwagon when it comes to the secondary. With his athletic skills top notch, Troy can get him pointed in the right direction mentally because USC boys take care of one another. Toby Gerhart would be an awesome addition in the draft to pair with Mendy.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information