Thread: Pirates' Jaramillo still in developmental stage

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Pirates' Jaramillo still in developmental stage

Pirates' Jaramillo still in developmental stage
    By Rob Biertempfel, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Thursday, February 25, 2010

BRADENTON, Fla. Some of the biggest strides Jason Jaramillo made last season happened hours before each game began.

"The biggest thing I took from it was just making sure I studied scouting reports and was prepared," Jaramillo said. "I credit (pitching coach) Joe (Kerrigan) for a lot of that. He made it easy to go to him and ask questions. Just staying confident and knowing I need to play my game. It worked out, and I'm building off that now."

Manager John Russell said Jaramillo still must improve calling games, throwing and consistency at the plate.

"He's not an older player, so there's still development (to do)," Russell said.

Jaramillo was behind the plate for most of Ryan Doumit's two-month stint on the disabled list last season. In his 58 starts, Jaramillo hit .260 with three homers and 26 RBI.

"We'll have to monitor how much he plays (this season)," Russell said. "We don't want him to get stale."

In nearly the next breath, Russell cautioned against assuming Jaramillo will have the backup job by default.

"It's competition," Russell said. "J.J. did a nice job last year, and that puts him in a good position. But he understands that we just can't give it to him. He's got to continue to work."

In addition to Jaramillo and Doumit, there are four non-roster catchers in camp. The group includes Tony Sanchez, last year's first-round draft pick.

[HIGH-LIGHT][/HIGH-LIGHT] Fourteen pitchers threw the first live batting practice of the spring Wednesday. The group included Kevin Hart, Ross Ohlendorf, Paul Maholm and Brad Lincoln. Each pitcher threw two, 17-pitch "innings."

[HIGH-LIGHT][/HIGH-LIGHT] Facing Hart, Pedro Alvarez blasted an opposite-field homer far over the left field fence at Field 3 onto an adjacent golf course.

"You're going to see that swing in Pittsburgh real soon," said former Pirates catcher Manny Sanguillen.

[HIGH-LIGHT][/HIGH-LIGHT] The starting pitchers were given T-shirts with an image of their face on the front, which were used to film a snippet for the video screen at PNC Park. Zach Duke grabbed a thick, black pen and wrote his teammates' names and numbers on the back of the shirts. The back of Princeton-grad Ross Ohlendorf's shirt reads, "Dorf" and his uniform number is "7-squared," instead of No. 49.

[HIGH-LIGHT][/HIGH-LIGHT] Brendan Donnelly will not throw batting practice today as originally scheduled. He will work in the bullpen. Donnelly made a few max-effort pitches Tuesday and while his velocity seemed good, his control was lacking.

[HIGH-LIGHT][/HIGH-LIGHT] Second baseman Akinori Iwamura was asked if he sees any similarities between the Pirates and the Tampa Bay Rays, who two years ago were in the World Series.

"There's a big possibility for this (Pirates) team to win a World Series," Iwamura said through an interpreter. "Just like Tampa Bay, we have good coaches and good, young players."

[HIGH-LIGHT]QUOTABLE[/HIGH-LIGHT]

"I look at him and I see the situation I was in a couple of years ago, just taking it all in. He seems to be doing a great job with that." The Pirates' Jason Jaramillo, on fellow catcher Tony Sanchez

[HIGH-LIGHT]DIGITS[/HIGH-LIGHT]

.317 Tony Sanchez's batting average in 161 career games at Boston College.

27 Home runs, out of 32 in Jason Jaramillo's career, hit off right-handers

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_668858.html
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Pirates' Jaramillo still in developmental stage

The starting pitchers were given T-shirts with an image of their face on the front, which were used to film a snippet for the video screen at PNC Park. Zach Duke grabbed a thick, black pen and wrote his teammates' names and numbers on the back of the shirts. The back of Princeton-grad Ross Ohlendorf's shirt reads, "Dorf" and his uniform number is "7-squared," instead of No. 49.
    SWEET!!!

I looked around the web a little last year to see what people were calling Ohlendorf and I saw "Ohlie" or something to that affect and it simply bothered me cause it reminded me of Oliver Perez. so I started calling Ohlendorf "Dorf" which can be found in the old GDT's of course.

nice to know that Zach Duke is a fan of mine...

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

This is going to be a season to remember (in a good way). Mark my words, good things are on the way.
    Thank you for your time,
    Steelreign.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Location : Pirates fan trapped 11 CTA stops north of Wrigley Field
    Threads : 72
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    SWEET!!!

I looked around the web a little last year to see what people were calling Ohlendorf and I saw "Ohlie" or something to that affect and it simply bothered me cause it reminded me of Oliver Perez.
    See, Kip - there's the difference: "Ollie" was Perez, "Ohlie" is 'Dorf.
    Free your *** and your mind will follow.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information