Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nose tackles won't fall off Steelers' radar

Threads : 691

Default Nose tackles won't fall off Steelers' radar

Nose tackles won't fall off Steelers' radar
    Friday, February 26, 2010
    By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    Kevin C. Cox/Getty ImagesAlabama defensive lineman Terrence Cody.INDIANAPOLIS -- Worried that Casey Hampton's new contract will cause the Steelers to forget about drafting a nose tackle who could still be his eventual replacement in an aging defensive line?

Don't be.

Kevin Colbert, the team's director of football operations, said Hampton's new three-year deal -- $21.3 million with a $6.5 million signing bonus -- won't have any effect on what the Steelers might do with their first pick in the NFL draft.

"Absolutely none," Colbert said as he stood inside Lucas Oil Stadium, site of the NFL combine that began yesterday. "We said that anything we did in free agency is not going to change our philosophy of trying to draft defensive players."

Which means, Colbert said, the Steelers will not rule out the possibility of still drafting a nose tackle with the 18th overall pick, especially if one they like is available.

And they should have a shot at two -- Dan Williams of Tennessee and 365-pound Terrence Cody of Alabama.

"Short of a quarterback and a tight end, everything's wide open," he said.

Colbert won't talk specifically about any player at the combine, much less a nose tackle, but he called the entire crop of defensive lineman "the best I can remember in the 26 years I've been doing this."

It starts with Nebraska's Ndamukong Suh and Oklahoma's Gerald McCoy, defensive tackles who could go 1-2 in the draft. But it doesn't stop there. According to NFLdraftscout.com, four of the top 14 prospects and nine of the top 30 at the combine are defensive linemen. One of those is Penn State defensive end Jared Odrick, who can also play nose tackle.

"It's not only depth," Colbert said. "But it's the quality of that depth, as well."

By re-signing Hampton, the Steelers eliminated the urgency to find a nose tackle immediately. But, because Hampton will be 33 in September, that doesn't mean they won't be willing to draft a player they can groom to be his successor.

Especially when the Steelers have a long history of rookies rarely playing, much less starting in Dick LeBeau's defense. Even Troy Polamalu, their five-time Pro Bowl safety, sat for most of his rookie season before he was used only in substitution packages.

"I'm assuming our defense is no more complicated than anyone else' in the NFL," Colbert said. "Sometimes, we expect young players to step in and be impact guys. But it's more the exception than the rule.

"Not only is the competition stepped up dramatically but so is the learning curve. When we get young players playing a significant amount of time early, we think that's a bonus."

The Steelers started the process of re-tooling their defensive line last season when they drafted defensive end Ziggy Hood on the first round. Then, after releasing defensive end Sunny Harris, a sixth-round pick, in the final cut of training camp, they re-signed him to their active roster in October. They are hoping to further his development in the offseason.

"I don't think you can determine a player's success until two to three years down the road because there's a big adjustment," Colbert said. "The younger the player, the harder the adjustment because he might be skipping part of his development, which would be his senior year. I don't think you can honestly judge how a player did or didn't do until two or three years down the road."

Or about the time Hampton retires.

Read more: http://pittsburghpost-gazette.com/pg...#ixzz0gdBFrUNV
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

Threads : 87
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Nose tackles won't fall off Steelers' radar

Quote Originally Posted by buccoray61 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nose tackles won't fall off Steelers' radar
    Friday, February 26, 2010
    By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    Kevin C. Cox/Getty ImagesAlabama defensive lineman Terrence Cody.INDIANAPOLIS -- Worried that Casey Hampton's new contract will cause the Steelers to forget about drafting a nose tackle who could still be his eventual replacement in an aging defensive line?

Don't be.

Kevin Colbert, the team's director of football operations, said Hampton's new three-year deal -- $21.3 million with a $6.5 million signing bonus -- won't have any effect on what the Steelers might do with their first pick in the NFL draft.

"Absolutely none," Colbert said as he stood inside Lucas Oil Stadium, site of the NFL combine that began yesterday. "We said that anything we did in free agency is not going to change our philosophy of trying to draft defensive players."

Which means, Colbert said, the Steelers will not rule out the possibility of still drafting a nose tackle with the 18th overall pick, especially if one they like is available.

And they should have a shot at two -- Dan Williams of Tennessee and 365-pound Terrence Cody of Alabama.

"Short of a quarterback and a tight end, everything's wide open," he said.

Colbert won't talk specifically about any player at the combine, much less a nose tackle, but he called the entire crop of defensive lineman "the best I can remember in the 26 years I've been doing this."

It starts with Nebraska's Ndamukong Suh and Oklahoma's Gerald McCoy, defensive tackles who could go 1-2 in the draft. But it doesn't stop there. According to NFLdraftscout.com, four of the top 14 prospects and nine of the top 30 at the combine are defensive linemen. One of those is Penn State defensive end Jared Odrick, who can also play nose tackle.

"It's not only depth," Colbert said. "But it's the quality of that depth, as well."

By re-signing Hampton, the Steelers eliminated the urgency to find a nose tackle immediately. But, because Hampton will be 33 in September, that doesn't mean they won't be willing to draft a player they can groom to be his successor.

Especially when the Steelers have a long history of rookies rarely playing, much less starting in Dick LeBeau's defense. Even Troy Polamalu, their five-time Pro Bowl safety, sat for most of his rookie season before he was used only in substitution packages.

"I'm assuming our defense is no more complicated than anyone else' in the NFL," Colbert said. "Sometimes, we expect young players to step in and be impact guys. But it's more the exception than the rule.

"Not only is the competition stepped up dramatically but so is the learning curve. When we get young players playing a significant amount of time early, we think that's a bonus."

The Steelers started the process of re-tooling their defensive line last season when they drafted defensive end Ziggy Hood on the first round. Then, after releasing defensive end Sunny Harris, a sixth-round pick, in the final cut of training camp, they re-signed him to their active roster in October. They are hoping to further his development in the offseason.

"I don't think you can determine a player's success until two to three years down the road because there's a big adjustment," Colbert said. "The younger the player, the harder the adjustment because he might be skipping part of his development, which would be his senior year. [HIGH-LIGHT]I don't think you can honestly judge how a player did or didn't do until two or three years down the road."[/HIGH-LIGHT]

Or about the time Hampton retires.

Read more: http://pittsburghpost-gazette.com/pg...#ixzz0gdBFrUNV
    So that would officially make Timmons a bust, right Colbert?

Threads : 164
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I am confused, 78 tackles 7.0 sacks and 4 forced fumbles for 2009 constitutes a bust?

http://www.nfl.com/players/lawrencet...e?id=TIM589720

Quote Originally Posted by bdeff View Post
    I am confused, 78 tackles 7.0 sacks and 4 forced fumbles for 2009 constitutes a bust?

Yep! Those aren't 1st round pick stats. He should be in the 100+ range. He can't cover and that is essential in the 3-4 for his position. Has no head for the game.

If he thinks as he plays and they take him out of coverage situations and move him to OLB it may help and my opinion might change.

Threads : 1817

Looks like pretty solid numbers for a position converter at the young age of 23 to me

Quote Originally Posted by kinsar View Post
    Yep! Those aren't 1st round pick stats. He should be in the 100+ range. He can't cover and that is essential in the 3-4 for his position. Has no head for the game.

If he thinks as he plays and they take him out of coverage situations and move him to OLB it may help and my opinion might change.

And you make this assessment from your vast knowledge of the intricacies of the ILB play in the 3-4 defense from experience? Or from being a fan watching the game on TV like the rest of us? Not trying to be wise guy or a trouble maker, or start a 8 page back and forth, I am just trying to understand how you make such an assessment.

And you make this assessment from your vast knowledge of the intricacies of the ILB play in the 3-4 defense from experience? [HIGH-LIGHT]Or from being a fan watching the game on TV like the rest of us[/HIGH-LIGHT]? Not trying to be wise guy or a trouble maker, or start a 8 page back and forth, I am just trying to understand how you make such an assessment.
    Exactly, what else would it be. If I were an expert, I wouldn't be sitting on this website posting wannabe bull**** like the rest of us. I'd be making millions in the NFL!

Team websites are an alternate reality where we all get to live out our sports expert fantasies.

Now to quote the Rolling Stones "Hey you, get off of my cloud!!"

Threads : 277

Before commenting on Timmons, let me just observe that with Hampton's signing, we have our 2010 NT in the fold and, likely, both our starting OTs (Starks and Colon).

Now, we get to our turn at #18, I would argue that neither of our OTs plays his position as well at "Snack" plays his.

Why then would you draft Hampton's successor and not Colon's or Starks?

Mike Iupati at #18 or Bruce Campbell, instead of Dan Williams (whom I think si great).

Sorry, forgot Timmons. I think he's developed slower than I would have lked, but he has the capacity to be an inside force or to move outside, if we draft an ILB (McClain) who makes it big.

Exactly, what else would it be. If I were an expert, I wouldn't be sitting on this website posting wannabe bull**** like the rest of us. I'd be making millions in the NFL!

Team websites are an alternate reality where we all get to live out our sports expert fantasies.

Now to quote the Rolling Stones "Hey you, get off of my cloud!!"
    Fair enough!

Threads : 60

I feel that by this new season and the season after, Timmons is going to show what he really is. I never had a problem with Foote to tell the truth.

Threads : 21

Timmons will be a star he will take over the postion from Farrior and do just fine in fact he will make a pro bowl in the next 2 seasons.

I think they still go Dt 1st round cause Hampton`s deal is only a 2 year deal imo so that will give the rookie 2 full seasons to learn Dl system. Hoke might not make the team out of camp next year because of our youth movement.
    Harris,Mclunden both good young Dt Mount Cody or Dan Williams.

Threads : 5
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Just a name to chuck out there that probably won't even cost us a draft pick.....Callahan Bright.
    Hidden Content

Who needs the USC song girls?

I want him just for his name, but--exactly--who is Callahan Bright?

Threads : 407
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

This season should tell us if it was a pick that maybe did not warrant a #1.
    I too expect to see him at OLB one day. Just no room for him now. Harrison threw a kink in things once he proved he was Joey's replacement. Thus they thought or hoped Timmons could play inside. He just didn't develop as fast as Woodley and ended up being the odd man out at the time when we were LB healthy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information