Thread: Penn State's Odrick good fit for Steelers

Threads : 691

Default Penn State's Odrick good fit for Steelers

Penn State's Odrick good fit for Steelers
    Tuesday, March 02, 2010
    By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    Michael Conroy/Associated PressPenn State defensive lineman Jared Odrick runs a drill at the NFL combine in Indianapolis, Monday.INDIANAPOLIS -- Penn State's Jared Odrick did more than wear the same number as Aaron Smith. He is built like the Steelers' defensive end, sheds blocks and stuffs the run like him and was used in much the same selfless manner with the Nittany Lions.

The style and resemblance is so uncanny that, if you close your eyes, you can almost see Odrick in a Steelers uniform. Not that it is a far-fetched possibility.

"One of the great things that impressed me is that he can do so many things," Penn State defensive coordinator Tom Bradley said. "He's never been a personal stat guy. Sometimes in our defense he's not doing glamorous stuff. He doesn't draw a lot of attention to himself. Like, last year, he opened up lot of stuff for Aaron Maybin to make plays."

Sound like anyone you know?

Bradley called Odrick "the best three-technique in the country," football nomenclature for a defensive tackle position in the 4-3 defense. That is what Odrick, the Big Ten Conference defensive player of the year, played for three seasons at Penn State.

But defensive tackles in a 4-3 defense become defensive ends -- or a "five-technique" -- in a 3-4 defense, and that is what Odrick would be if he were taken with the 18th overall pick by the Steelers.

"I think I bring a lot of versatility at multiple positions that I've played before and am capable of playing in the future." Odrick said.

Odrick is considered among the top five defensive tackles in the draft, usually ranking behind Nebraska's Ndamukong Suh and Gerald McCoy of Oklahoma and somewhere between Brian Price of UCLA and Dan Williams of Tennessee. Odrick measured 6 feet 5, 304 pounds at the NFL Scouting Combine.

But, after running times of 4.98 and 5.04 in the 40-yard dash Monday at Lucas Oil Stadium, it's possible he could be the first defensive tackle selected after Suh and McCoy, who are expected to be among the first three picks, if not the first two.

"He was a dominant football player for us," Bradley said. "He's a big guy with great movement. And he takes great pride in what he does. When he comes out to practice, he comes out with a purpose. He's always trying to find out ways to get better."

Odrick seemingly has all the prerequisites the Steelers look for in their defensive linemen. He wouldn't be much of a project for defensive line coach John Mitchell, who likes to strip away everything his pupils already have learned to teach them the Steelers way.

Even though he played on the interior at Penn State, Odrick showed the ability to disrupt plays in the backfield and even pressure the quarterback. He is strong enough to move double-teams and quick enough to chase plays down in pursuit.

And he is a lean and fit 304 pounds, meaning he has plenty of room on his frame to easily add another 10-15 pounds.

"I like to think I'm a high-character guy," Odrick said. "I get along with everybody on the team. I'm somebody who's going to work hard. You're going to get a hard worker out of me, somebody who is going to fight for a starting spot and earn respect. That's what you're going to get when you're dealing with Jared Odrick."

Director of football operations Kevin Colbert said the signing of nose tackle Casey Hampton last week to a three-year, $21.3 million contract will not have any effect on the Steelers' decision to draft a defensive lineman in the first round. They need youth and depth on the line to develop a better rotation and get players ready to replace Hampton and Smith, who will be 34 in April.

"Teams have come to this draft looking at all of us," Odrick said. "If you want to stand out, this is a chance to kind of separate yourself."

Looking a lot like Aaron Smith should help

Read more: http://pittsburghpost-gazette.com/pg...#ixzz0h0YM1uY4
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

Threads : 5
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Penn State's Odrick good fit for Steelers

The problem is this. Odrick is projected as a end of the first round/start of the second round guy. So taking him in our draft slot would probably be seen as a reach. If the club waits until the second round, he'll probably be gone.

Plus Penn State lineman have been kind of a dissapointment in recent years, I'm not sure I'd jump on Odrick in the 1st round.
    Hidden Content

Who needs the USC song girls?

Threads : 691

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The problem is this. [HIGH-LIGHT]Odrick is projected as a end of the first round/start of the second round guy. So taking him in our draft slot would probably be seen as a reach.[/HIGH-LIGHT] If the club waits until the second round, he'll probably be gone.

Plus Penn State lineman have been kind of a dissapointment in recent years, I'm not sure I'd jump on Odrick in the 1st round.
    Maybe the Steelers are thinking of trading down to pick up extra picks in a deep draft? Just a thought.
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

Threads : 3263

Yea... I like him....

I'd put him in the list of kids I wouldn't mind with the first pick along with Mays, Spiller, and Iupati.... But that's just me.

The upside is that he fills the positional need we might be looking at.... Who knows....
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 2

Add me to the list who would love to see Odrick as a Steeler.

I'm sort of in a quandry though. Is he worth the 18th pick? I think so, but maybe I'm also a bit biased.

Would an O-lineman be better. I'm not sure. I keep hearing about Iupati's Wonderlick score and I'm far from impressed so is he worth the gamble of him not being able to pick up the various schemes?

I think we need someone who can step in with significant playing time. Secondary is where I'd like to see if they don't trade down.

Threads : 277

I don't like PSU players as professionals, because they just don't seem to pan out.

But, IF the Steelers went DE at #18, I'd take a flyer on this kid, although I don't think that's the position they will try and fill in the First.

Threads : 122

If they drafted Odrick I hope it is in a trade down scenario.

Maybe if they are loading up for one last Superbowl run with this aging core that gave us so much, they will think trading up for the best CB in the draft that would shut down half the field, would be worth it. Especially if they knew it was pretty much a sure thing a lockout will happen and waste a full season yet there would still be a draft. This would give them the 2011 draft class and 2012 draft class all coming into camp in 2012 to battle it out for certain positions. Thus, trading some picks this year wouldn't hurt and would, and this all hinges if they think Haden could start from the get go pretty much, but it would totally solidify the obvious weakness we had last year that was a controllable weakness. You can't control injuries but this would be an option to take control and add that shut down corner.

So the questions are, is Haden worth it and could he start year one?

Threads : 3263

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    If they drafted Odrick I hope it is in a trade down scenario.
    I honestly haven't been following the "predictions" from the so-called "experts" this season at all as far as where the various players will fall... When is he predicted to go?
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 48
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post

So the questions are, is Haden worth it and could he start year one?
    If you're talking about replacing William Gay,then Corky from Life Goes On could do the job.

Threads : 135
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    I honestly haven't been following the "predictions" from the so-called "experts" this season at all as far as where the various players will fall... When is he predicted to go?
    Late 1st early 2nd.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Threads : 122

Quote Originally Posted by BigBen2112 View Post
    Late 1st early 2nd.
    Wouldn't be too upset if they traded down and took DE/OLB Brandon Graham either....guy can just flat out play some football regardless of how tall or how much he weighs.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information