Thread: Sorting through the (Rumor) Muck #1

Threads : 210

Default Sorting through the (Rumor) Muck #1

Zach Boslett | National Hockey League
    Mar 1, 11:39 PM | Hype this story!
    There is a mess of rumors this time of year created by blogging “insiders” striving to break that big trade and over-anxious fans who take general discussion out of context.

It is my job from now through the deadline to sort through the muck to bring to you the credible and substantiated rumors and rumblings around the league from established media sources.

What you’ll read on Faceoff-Factor may technically be considered rumors, but they will come only from the most reliable of sources.

James Mirtle of the Globe and Mail, for example, is one journalist you can trust. He has compiled a list of trade deadline buyers and sellers, also identifying needs and assets.

Now onto the rumors:

Leopold Notes

According to Jordan Leopold’s agent Ben Hankinson’s Twitter account, newly-acquired Pittsburgh Penguin defenseman is going to be playing with Alex Goligoski Tuesday night, which indicates that Jay McKee will be the one to sit.

He also said that Florida Coach Pete DeBoer called Leopold “one of the most underrated guys in the league.”

Hankinson also “Tweeted” that Leopold had a modified No Trade Clause and Pittsburgh was one of the teams he wanted to play for.

According to the Penguins Report (12:31pm update halfway down), Leopold, known for his puck skills, was brought in for his defensive mobility and ability to play against opposing teams’ top lines.

And lastly, Jonathan Bombulie says about the Leopold acquisition:

“I don’t know what to make of that, but regardless, he’s a perfect fit for Bylsma’s defensive philosophy. Don’t pick up guys who are good at slugging it out with opposing power forwards in front of the net. Pick up guys who skate well and manage the puck so you don’t have to spend time in the defensive zone in the first place.”

My Thoughts- Leopold playing with Goligoski makes them probably the most mobile defensive unit in the league. Leopold is the opposite of McKee mobility-wise but is just as solid defensively.

The fact that Leopold wanted to play in Pittsburgh bodes well for possibly retaining him after the season. His defense is underrated and he will likely play top PK time and top 4 minutes once he settles in to the system in Pittsburgh.

Pompeani Weighs in on Torres, Offensive Dman Leaving

KDKA sports anchor Bob Pompeani posted on his Twitter account that the Blue Jackets offered winger Raffi Torres to the Penguins for the 2nd round pick that eventually was traded to Florida for Leopold.

He also says that there is speculation around the league that the Penguins could be moving one of their puck moving defensemen.

My Thoughts- First off, Leopold is a superior player to Torres and fills a need for the Penguins, especially if he is re-signed.

If Leopold re-signs, that allows the Penguins to move one of Gonchar, Letang, or Goligoski — though he isn’t a direct replacement for any of them.

Dreger Reports Hamhuis Is Likely To Move

Darren Dreger of TSN says the Flyers have contacted the Predators about defenseman Dan Hamhuis. The asking price is a young defensemen, probably Ryan Parent.

Several sources picked up on this and reported that it was a done deal but beat writers for both teams have denied that a deal is done or even close to being done. Dan Ellis, who could be on the move in the next few days, is not involved in Philly talks either.

My Thoughts- Hamhuis is likely on the move but the return of a young defensemen makes no sense for Nashville. They have Franson, Klein, Sulzer, Ellis, Blum, Roussel etc… all better than Parent. Young defense is the strength of the Predators. Most sources indicate they are searching for a top-six forward for Hamhuis — and that makes most sense to me.

Jagr to the NHL?

Not really a deadline rumor, but Patrik Elias, Czech Republic teammate of Jaromir Jagr, believes Jagr wants to return to the NHL once his contract is up after the 2009-10 season.

“I think he’d love to,” Elias said. “He certainly showed and proved that he still has it and he can be an effective player, no question about it.” (From Devils Blog Fire & Ice)

My Thoughts- Jagr to the Pens would be a storybook ending to his career and would likely give some still bitter Penguin fans some closure. He told Lemieux he would play for Pittsburgh if called so who knows…

Edmonton Moving Longest Tenured Players

According to the Globe and Mail, Fernando Pisani, Ethan Moreau, and Steve Staios are likely to be moved to contenders by the deadline. .

My Thoughts- Pisani is still a useful player when healthy, as is Staios. Moreau, on the other hand, is pretty much useless, so he may have to stay in Edmonton or be moved in a package.

Pens In On Ponikarovsky

Mirtle of the Globe and Mail said on his twitter account that he believes that the Penguins are in on Alexei Ponikarovsky despite the fact that they traded their 2nd round pick earlier today.

Dreger said on AM640 and on his blog that the Penguins and Kings are interested in Ponikarovsky .

My Thoughts- Ponikarovsky would be great in Pittsburgh, but anything more than a 2nd round pick is likely too high of a price. And, since the Penguins don’t have a second round pick, Shero might have to pull a rabbit out of a hat on this one.

Atlanta… Buyers?

According to Chris Vivlamore, Thrashers general manager Don Wadell plans to be a buyer at the deadline, likely taking Pavel Kubina and Maxim Afinogenov off the market this deadline.

My Thoughts- This likely means that all of the Atlanta players are off limits except Slava Kozlov who has requested a trade

http://www.faceoff-factor.com/nhl/35...e-rumor-muck-1

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Sorting through the (Rumor) Muck #1

According to Jordan Leopold’s agent Ben Hankinson’s Twitter account, newly-acquired Pittsburgh Penguin defenseman is going to be playing with Alex Goligoski Tuesday night, which indicates that Jay McKee will be the one to sit.

He also said that Florida Coach Pete DeBoer called Leopold “one of the most underrated guys in the league.”

Hankinson also “Tweeted” that Leopold had a modified No Trade Clause and Pittsburgh was one of the teams he wanted to play for.

According to the Penguins Report (12:31pm update halfway down), Leopold, known for his puck skills, was brought in for his defensive mobility and ability to play against opposing teams’ top lines.

And lastly, Jonathan Bombulie says about the Leopold acquisition:

“I don’t know what to make of that, but regardless, he’s a perfect fit for Bylsma’s defensive philosophy. Don’t pick up guys who are good at slugging it out with opposing power forwards in front of the net. Pick up guys who skate well and manage the puck so you don’t have to spend time in the defensive zone in the first place.”
    Interesting that mcKee is the one sitting. We'll see how this goes but a lot of great stuff being said not just in this article but everywhere I read about Leopold.

Bombulie ****ing NAILS exactly what I've been trying to tell everyone about that desire of a "physical" defenseman. Physical defenseman are overrated unless you have the small handful in the league that are decent. Outside of them, they are a liability on the ice. Teams like the Pens strength is possessing the puck and playing in the offensive zone. That happens with quickness and slick puck moving from the defense....

The most physicality we really need from a D-man is that they are willing to take hits to retrieve pucks and move them. That is what I truly hated about Ryan Whitney. Whitney was a 6'4" 220lbs. *****, but Hal Gill was an even larger *****. the difference is that gill would take a hit to make a play and get a puck, and Whitney would pull up... we currently have no d-men like that... we need to keep it that way

Threads : 277

Default Re: Sorting through the (Rumor) Muck #1

Unrelated but fascinating.

The Thrashers have signed Chris Chelios (48 ****ing years old!!), awaiting League approval.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information