Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A few thoughts about today’s game….

Threads : 94

Default A few thoughts about today’s game….

1) Eric Katz is a very good depth guy at AAA in case of injury

2) Delwyn Young is no 2nd baseman…..his roster spot is in jeopardy

3) Tabata looks like a completely different guy physically from last year. He has lost a lot of weight and looks to be in much better shape which should help his overall game.

4) Clement looked very comfortable at 1st .

5) For all the talk about Alvarez losing a lot of weight it looks like he could drop a few more.

6) No hit Argenis Diaz …..didn’t look too good in the field.

7) Jack Taschner looked good …and looks to be good AAA depth.

8) Virg Vasquez….WTF

9) Jean Machi….96 mph FB…..nuff said

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: A few thoughts about today’s game….

Im with you on all of the above points...

Tabata did look much thinner. It was funny seeing Pedro. Most video of Tabata hitting is always from behind or from the side, not that TV camera angle we're all used to seeing players. From that angle, Pedro looks like a very big boy. He might very well be a big guy like is said from a physical stand point.

10) Gorkys Hernandez is looking for like Gorkyz Kernandez . His plate discipline is terrible

11) Outside of Jackson and Vasquez, all of the pitchers looked very good which is a good sign since we threw out 9 of them . A lot of K's for Pirates pitchers as well which is a nice welcomed addition that I really hope stays. We need it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Im with you on all of the above points...

Tabata did look much thinner. It was funny seeing Pedro. Most video of Tabata hitting is always from behind or from the side, not that TV camera angle we're all used to seeing players. From that angle, Pedro looks like a very big boy. He might very well be a big guy like is said from a physical stand point.

10) Gorkys Hernandez is looking for like Gorkyz Kernandez . His plate discipline is terrible

11) Outside of Jackson and Vasquez, all of the pitchers looked very good which is a good sign since we threw out 9 of them . A lot of K's for Pirates pitchers as well which is a nice welcomed addition that I really hope stays. We need it.
    Jean Machi made me look good today......

Threads : 197

Honestly I didn't know a whole lot about Machi outside of the numbers, but I always kind of assumed he was a soft tossing type who put up decent minor league numbers but wouldn't cut it in the bigs. Not sure where I got that impression. I was pretty impressed when I saw him in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by PittFaninVa View Post
    Jean Machi made me look good today......
    Yeah he did. Hopefully he keeps it up. with the way injuries happen and the age of our BP... a hard thrower would be much needed

Quote Originally Posted by jnn123 View Post
    Honestly I didn't know a whole lot about Machi outside of the numbers, but I always kind of assumed he was a soft tossing type who put up decent minor league numbers but wouldn't cut it in the bigs. Not sure where I got that impression. I was pretty impressed when I saw him in the game.
    I remembered he had control issues and that was about it. Since you mentioned it, I'd have assumed the same as you. No idea he could touch mid 90's

Quote Originally Posted by jnn123 View Post
    I saw him a few times at Altoona last year......man among boys.

Threads : 24

Watched the whole game and....

I thought the whole infield defense was sharp, esepcially LaRoche,and they all had a lot of action, since the Yankees didn't hit one out of the infield until the fifth inning.

Ohlendorf had lots of movement on his pitches.

Ken Singleton (the Yanks color man on the broadcast), for what it's worth, said he thinks the Pirate rotation might come of age this year.

That was some crazy wind in the outfield. Yankee outfielders made some good plays on some decently hit balls by Bucco bats.

Seeing the lineup out there for the first time impressed more than I thought it would, except for one position: SS. Are Cedeno and Crosby really the best the GM could do?

Threads : 135
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by buccoman View Post

I thought the whole infield defense was sharp, esepcially LaRoche,and they all had a lot of action, since the Yankees didn't hit one out of the infield until the fifth inning.

Ken Singleton (the Yanks color man on the broadcast), for what it's worth, said he thinks the Pirate rotation might come of age this year.

That was some crazy wind in the outfield. Yankee outfielders made some good plays on some decently hit balls by Bucco bats.

Seeing the lineup out there for the first time impressed more than I thought it would, except for one position: [HIGH-LIGHT]SS. Are Cedeno and Crosby really the best the GM could do?[/HIGH-LIGHT]
    Nothing on the immediate horizon either. D'Arnaud maybe a couple years from now.

I think that we have a good start to a rotation: Ohlendorf, Morton, and Maholm...depends if Duke keeps it up...if he can be successful consistently...then we have 4 decent starters...we will need another top starter though...and I dont see that right now in our system (at least nothing that is gonna be close any time soon).
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Threads : 23

Quote Originally Posted by BigBen2112 View Post
    Nothing on the immediate horizon either. D'Arnaud maybe a couple years from now.

I think that we have a good start to a rotation: Ohlendorf, Morton, and Maholm...depends if Duke keeps it up...if he can be successful consistently...then we have 4 decent starters...we will need another top starter though...and I dont see that right now in our system (at least nothing that is gonna be close any time soon).
    lincoln certainly has the potential to be better than all 4 of those you list... not sure what more you want.

Threads : 135
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by irahuss View Post
    lincoln certainly has the potential to be better than all 4 of those you list... not sure what more you want.
    Lincoln has the potential to be better than Morton? I dont think so. He's not a strikeout pitcher...he's unlikely to ever be better than a #3.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

That's your criteria? whether someone is a strikeout pitcher? there are plenty of examples of guys who weren't strike out pitchers but were top of the rotation guys and guys who were strike out pitchers but never amounted to jack **** because they couldn't put things together, mentally or control-wise.

His k/IP numbers in the minors, eventhough he's been dealing with injuries, have been in line with or better than a lot of great pitchers (about 7/per 9 IP)

I think it was pretty well accepted when before lincoln was hurt that he had the pedigree of a top of rotation guy.

Forgot to mention that Lincoln's K/9 numbers have been better than morton's were the past couple of years and even if you include Morton's minor league numbers they are both right around 7k/9

[HIGH-LIGHT]That was some crazy wind in the outfield[/HIGH-LIGHT]. Yankee outfielders made some good plays on some decently hit balls by Bucco bats.

Seeing the lineup out there for the first time impressed more than I thought it would, except for one position: SS. Are Cedeno and Crosby really the best the GM could do?
    Spring winds in FLA are always present and a problem.

Seeing the lineup out there for the first time impressed more than I thought it would, except for one position: SS. [HIGH-LIGHT]Are Cedeno and Crosby really the best the GM could do?[/HIGH-LIGHT]
    Free Agency was pretty much garbage for SS. You weren't going to find a good SS that could also hit for average. In which case you have to go with the glove first and take the hit offensively until you can develop your own player... Cedeno has the ability to be average/above average defensively. Bobby Crosby has been average/above average defensively his entire MLB career..

I say Defense first because we have far too many contact pitchers that you can't ignore defense. It's why there were never any way in hell without spending $100 million alone on pitchers that the 2008 outfield of Bay/McLouth/Nady would've been helpful. Their defense cost more runs than their offense could produce behind a contact pitching rotation

Quote Originally Posted by PittFaninVa View Post
    Spring winds in FLA are always present and a problem.
    Those winds were definitely pretty crazy yesterday. I mean, some decent OF'ers for the Yanks were struggling to catch some. That one that went over Tabata's head, the wind kept that one sailing...

Its always easy to forget about the winds down there

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information