Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jarek Cunningham to start season in Bradenton

Threads : 197

Default Jarek Cunningham to start season in Bradenton

In what I thought was a surprising statement during his Pirates.com chat today, Frank Coonelly said that they expect Jarek Cunningham to begin the season in Bradenton and it isn't for extended spring training, but with the Bradenton Marauders. Interesting when you consider that this is his first full season after being drafted out of high school. I had assumed he'd follow the path as if he were a 2009 draftee and just head to West Virginia. Should be a good test for him.

Jarek Cunningham is fully recovered from the knee injury that he suffered shortly after having a dynamic start to his professional career following his selection in the 2008 Draft. Jarek is an exciting infield prospect who is likely to open the 2010 season with our new High-A club in Bradenton, Fla. In fact, Jarek was -- along with Tony Sanchez -- one of our "models" for the new Marauders jerseys that we introduced in Bradenton last week. Jarek worked extremely hard to rehab from his injury and we look forward to his progression through the system.

Threads : 94

Default Re: Jarek Cunningham to start season in Bradenton

Quote Originally Posted by jnn123 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In what I thought was a surprising statement during his Pirates.com chat today, Frank Coonelly said that they expect Jarek Cunningham to begin the season in Bradenton and it isn't for extended spring training, but with the Bradenton Marauders. Interesting when you consider that this is his first full season after being drafted out of high school. I had assumed he'd follow the path as if he were a 2009 draftee and just head to West Virginia. Should be a good test for him.
    This would be a very very aggressive assignment.

Not saying it won't happen but FC said this not NH or KS and minor league camp hasn't even started yet. I would guess FC is pretty dialed in on their prospects but I am still a little skeptical.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

This defiinitely is very aggressive. Like PFIV said, it's surprising that FC made this comment.

Big time adjustment for cunningham coming up. They weren't even this aggressive with Sanchez

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    This defiinitely is very aggressive. Like PFIV said, it's surprising that FC made this comment.

Big time adjustment for cunningham coming up. They weren't even this aggressive with Sanchez
    I'm as big a Cunningham fan as there is and have said so many times but A+.......Wow!

Threads : 135
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PittFaninVa View Post
    I'm as big a Cunningham fan as there is and have said so many times but A+.......Wow!
    What would the motivation be here? I mean it wouldn't really increase his rise to the majors...he could have easily started lower and gone up quickly if the production was there.

This is interesting.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Threads : 138

Where is Cunningham going to play, SS or 3B?

Threads : 197

Quote Originally Posted by tocchet92 View Post
    Where is Cunningham going to play, SS or 3B?
    He did an interview a couple weeks ago on a Blog Talk Radio show and he mentioned working at 2B. Could end up being all 3 positions.

Threads : 158
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think we will see this more often now that the Pirates are in the FSL and their A+ team is in Bradenton.

I'm still having trouble digesting FC's comments about Jarek Cunningham.

A little history on Cunningham…… he didn't play most of his senior year in HS (2008) because of a torn ACL. He then gets drafted and gets 148 AB's that year in rookie ball. He comes to ST next year and tears his ACL again, has surgery and doesn't play at all in 2009. So by my figures Cunningham has a total of 148 AB’s in the last 2 years. Now 2010 comes around and it is announced by the team president he will start at A+ even before minor league camp begins.

Cunningham was stated to start last year at WV so what has me puzzled is …. What did he do last year while rehabbing to earn a promotion? Wow…double Wow!

I'm still having trouble digesting FC's comments about Jarek Cunningham.

A little history on Cunningham…… he didn't play most of his senior year in HS (2008) because of a torn ACL. He then gets drafted and gets 148 AB's that year in rookie ball. He comes to ST next year and tears his ACL again, has surgery and doesn't play at all in 2009. So by my figures Cunningham has a total of 148 AB’s in the last 2 years. Now 2010 comes around and it is announced by the team president he will start at A+ even before minor league camp begins.

Cunningham was stated to start last year at WV so what has me puzzled is …. What did he do last year while rehabbing to earn a promotion? Wow…double Wow!
    I am with you here. I, like you, really like Jarek Cunningham but I think that this promotion is utterly shocking. I hope it all works out...he has a huge ceiling. I'd love to see him develop at SS.

I wonder, PFIV what do you think about Cain and ZVR in terms of where they will and should start. Do you think that ZVR could see a promotion like Cunningham.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Quote Originally Posted by BigBen2112 View Post
    I am with you here. I, like you, really like Jarek Cunningham but I think that this promotion is utterly shocking. I hope it all works out...he has a huge ceiling. I'd love to see him develop at SS.

I wonder, PFIV what do you think about Cain and ZVR in terms of where they will and should start. [HIGH-LIGHT]Do you think that ZVR could see a promotion like Cunningham[/HIGH-LIGHT].
    If you mean does he start at A+….then no. HS kids just don’t start at A+….that’s what makes Cunningham’s assignment puzzling…… basically he is right out of HS.

I think best case scenario for ZVR would be to start the season at WV if he shows he can handle it during ST but more likely he goes the Q Miller route. He stays in extended ST then goes to SC for a few starts and then later on to WV.
    Last edited by PittFaninVa; Mar-04-2010 at 10:51 AM.

If you mean does he start at A+….then no. HS kids just don’t start at A+….that’s what makes Cunningham’s assignment puzzling…… basically he is right out of HS.

I think best case scenario for ZVR would be to start the season at WV if he shows he can handle it during ST but more likely he goes the Q Miller route. He stays in extended ST then goes to SC for a few starts and then later on to WV.
    Yeah that's what I was thinking about ZVR, but with the Cunningham surprise I was wondering if we could see the same thing with ZVR.
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by BigBen2112 View Post
    Yeah that's what I was thinking about ZVR, but with the Cunningham surprise I was wondering if we could see the same thing with ZVR.
    Cain I believe will be brought along less aggressively especially now he has some sort of lingering injury.

Cain I believe will be brought along less aggressively especially now he has some sort of lingering injury.
    Yeah, I think Cain will, at best, end the year in WV.
    Hidden Content

Threads : 0

Did Cunningham tear the same ACL twice, or did he tear first one, then the other? Either way it would be hard for him to come all the way back from two such procedures. I hope he makes it, but that's tough.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information