Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pirates Radio Announcers

Threads : 122

Default Pirates Radio Announcers

What do you guys think of the job the buccos radio announcers did this season....specifically Tim Neverette. I kind of felt like I was listening to a Braves game on TBS or something with the way Neverette speaks and couldn't decide if I liked that or not. Kind of boring. Brown seems kind of dorky sometimes. I do like Bob Walk though. Wehner is Ok....sounds like he has a mouth full of marbles or something.

Greg Brown
    In 2008, Greg Brown completed his 15th season as a radio and television play-by-play announcer with the Pirates, one of only six with at least 15 years of service behind the mic for the Bucs on radio.

Prior to joining Pittsburgh's broadcast team, he spent five seasons (1989-1993) doing play-by-play and color commentary for the Buffalo Bisons of the American Association as well as hosting a sportstalk show on WGR Radio. Brown also worked as a color analyst and a pre- and post-game show host for the Buffalo Bills of the National Football League for five seasons (1989-93). Also during his time in Buffalo, Brown served as a play-by-play announcer for University of Buffalo basketball on WGR Radio and as a broadcaster for the Empire TV Sports Network.

Greg's association with the Pirates actually began in 1979, when he interned in the Promotions department while attending Point Park College. Following the World Series that year, Brown worked as the clubhouse manager during the Instructional League program in Bradenton, Florida. His 10-year stint in the Bucs front office included work in the Sales, Public Relations and Broadcasting departments. Greg also served as the team's public address announcer during the 1987 campaign. In 1988, he was a sports anchor on WFMJ-TV in Youngstown, OH.

Brown is a native of Washington, D.C. He currently resides in Leet Township with his wife Kim and son Ryan (9).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tim Neverett
    Tim Neverett was named play-by-play announcer on December 18, 2008. Prior to being named to his new position with Pittsburgh, Neverett spent the last four years working for FSN Rocky Mountain, where he spent last season serving as both the pregame and postgame studio host for Colorado Rockies games. During his tenure with FSN Rocky Mountain, Tim also served as a play-by-play announcer for Rockies games, college football, basketball, hockey and lacrosse, as well as arena football and track and field. In addition, he served as the VERSUS Network's national college basketball play by play voice, while also working a number of the network's college football games.

Neverett was one of the original play-by-play and studio voices for the mtn, The Mountain West Conference Sports Network, where he called a number of football and basketball games along with hosting a weekly roundtable studio show.

Neverett worked as a weekend talk show host for the nationally syndicated Sporting News Radio Network, where his show was heard on over 160 stations nationwide. He also served as a Sports Talk Host for ESPN 560 in Denver, Colorado, where he was named the 2005 Best Radio Sports-Talk Host by Westword magazine in its annual "Best of Denver" issue.

Neverett also called baseball, softball, basketball and soccer during the 2004 Athens Olympics and 2008 Beijing Olympics. During the 2002 Salt Lake City Olympics and 2006 Olympic Games in Torino he handled play-by-play duties for hockey and numerous skiing events. The multi-national feeds were seen in more than 100 countries.

Prior to his time in Denver, Neverett lived in Las Vegas, where he called games on radio and TV for the Padres and Dodgers Triple-A teams. He also served as the play-by-play voice for Las Vegas' International Hockey League team for five seasons, then added college baseball and football at UNLV to his duties.

Neverett began his baseball broadcasting career in 1985 with Pittsburgh's Double-A affiliate in the Eastern League. At the age of 19, he had the opportunity to fill in calling radio play-by-play of Nashua Pirates games, which led to more innings and ultimately a schedule of games that season.

Neverett and his wife, Barbara, have three sons ages 14, 12 and 9. Neverett is a graduate of Emerson College in Boston where he lettered in baseball for four seasons.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bob Walk
    After spending 14 seasons in a major league uniform, Bob Walk in 2008 completed his 15th season as a member of the Pirates broadcast crew. He joins Greg Brown as being one of only six men with at least 15 years of service behind the mic for the Bucs on radio.

The former right-handed pitcher spent 10 of his 14 years pitching in the major leagues with Pittsburgh (1984-1993). He compiled a 105-81 lifetime record, which included an 82-61 mark with the Pirates.

Walk's professional career began with Spartanburg in 1977 after he was drafted by the Philadelphia Phillies in the 3rd round of the 1976 June draft. He made his big-league debut with the Phillies in 1980 and was the starting pitcher in Game One of the World Series that October against Kansas City.

In the spring of 1981, Walk was dealt to the Atlanta Braves for outfielder Gary Matthews. He spent three seasons in the Atlanta organization before being acquired by Pittsburgh in 1984.

Bob was a 1988 National League All-Star and he posted six straight winning seasons from 1987 to 1992. One of his finest moments in a Pirates uniform came in 1992 when he pitched a 7-1, complete-game victory over the Atlanta Braves in Game Five of the National League Championship Series.

Walk, a native of Newhall, CA, resides in Wexford with his wife Lorrie. They have three sons; Tommy (28), Johnny (25) and Ronny (18). Tommy and his wife, Dominique, are the proud parents of daughters Makayla (5) and Kylie (2).

Steve Blass
    The 2008 season marked Steve Blass' 49th year of involvement with the Pirates, having been associated with the club since signing his first professional contract on June 27, 1960. The former right-handed pitcher spent 10 seasons (1964-1974) with the Pirates, compiling a record of 103-76 in 282 games. He ranks seventh on the club's all-time list in strikeouts (896) and 14th in wins.

For the fourth straight season, Steve will work only those games played at PNC Park. He will continue in his role as an analyst on both radio and TV. Only Lanny Frattare (32 years) and Bob Prince (28) have spent more years behind the mic than Steve (22).

A member of the 1972 National League All-Star team, Blass won 78 games during a five-year period from 1968 thru 1972. He was a Pirates hero in the 1971 World Series against Baltimore when he picked up complete-game victories in Game Three and Game Seven. On the mound for the final out in 1971, Steve went 2-0 with a 1.00 ERA in the '71 World Series (18.0ip/2er).

After retiring following the 1974 season, Blass remained in the Pittsburgh area and worked in private business, while continuing to do community service for the ballclub. In 1983, he worked with the legendary Bob Prince on Pirate cable telecasts and was also retained the following year when the cable rights were secured by Home Sports Entertainment. Blass joined the Pittsburgh Pirates radio broadcast crew in 1986.

A native of Canaan, CT, Steve and his wife Karen live in Upper St. Clair. They have two sons, David and Christopher, and five grandchildren. In 2002, Steve became the 13th recipient of the "Pride of the Pirates" award, a yearly honor (since 1990) which recognizes a member of the Pirates family who has demonstrated the qualities of sportsmanship, dedication and outstanding character during a lifetime of service.

John Wehner
    Pittsburgh native John Wehner joined the Pirates broadcast team prior to the 2005 season. He serves as an analyst on both radio and TV, working all road games and a handful of games played at PNC Park in Pittsburgh.

Entering the 2009 campaign, John has spent a total of 18 seasons in the Pittsburgh organization (1988-1996, 1999-2001 and 2003-2007). Prior to being named to the broadcast team, John spent time as a coach with the Altoona Curve (2002-2004) after serving the Pirates as a special instructor during spring training in 2002. He saw his last action in the major leagues with the Pirates in 2001.

He hit the last home run in the history of Three Rivers Stadium on October 1, 2000 off Chicago's Jon Lieber and also made the final out. In 11 seasons in the major leagues, John compiled a .249 batting average, hit four home runs and collected 54 RBI in 461 games. In addition, he shares the major league record of playing 99 consecutive errorless games at third base (also Jeff Cirillo).

Wehner is a graduate of Pittsburgh's Carrick High School and attended the University of Indiana, where he played baseball for three years. He resides in Cranberry Township, PA, with his wife Wendy. The couple has four children; sons Tyler (16) and Brandon (14) and daughters Hailey (9)?and Hannah (5).

Threads : 197

Default Re: Pirates Radio Announcers

I like Bob Walk a lot, although sometimes he seems bored up there. It's kind of understandable calling 162 games in a row, particularly when so many of the games this year seemed like the same game over and over again. When he really gets into explaining something that actually grabbed his interest he's very good.

I like Tim Neverett so far. He's a very professional announcer and has a ton of knowledge of a lot of different sports. He doesn't really distinguish himself from other announcers too much, but he's good at what he does. He actually does a pretty decent job with conveying the emotion of an exciting game over the radio in those rare cases. One issue with him is that a lot of the time he'll call flyballs that come about 40 feet short of the wall like they're homers off the bat, then there were a few cases where balls actually left the park and he didn't even think about it until the last second.

The others I'm pretty much indifferent towards. Not a bad crew overall. I've heard far worse around the league.

Threads : 215

The few times that I was involved in conveying the game at the other site, I stole Neverette's style by typing in half the sentence and then waiting for a result, just like he announces.

Threads : 691

It would be a tough job calling games night after night for a team that was so bad.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I didn't think Nevrett was that bad. What I did like about Nevrett is that he didn't have that monotone type of voice. Even if he weren't excited, his voice sort of cut through the broadcast but not in a bad way. The way he called stuff was fairly vanilla in general. He's not a catch phrase type of guy or someone that's going to be very memorable but he's also the only one that announces that I can tell right off of the bat isn't Blass, Walk, Brown or Wehner. Those 4 sound almost idential in voice pitch initially.

Brown and Whener personally don't do a whole lot for me. Blass and Walk share decent stories and share decent insight into the game but both love to get completely off topic and there's times when I think bob Walk is about 2 seconds away from falling sleep. Even when they show him in the booth he looks like he wants a pillow

Threads : 48
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by buccoray61 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It would be a tough job calling games night after night for a team that was so bad.
    Bingo.Same goes for playing on said team.

Threads : 691

Quote Originally Posted by Les View Post
    Bingo.Same goes for playing on said team.
    Yes it would,all the losing would wear on you after a while,you would think.
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I like the announcers for the most part. They atleast are able to hold my attention throughout the game. I loved Lanny, Nellie, Rooker and John Sanders back in the day although The Gunner and Milo were the best.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Threads : 61

Tim Nevrett kinda sounded like Bob Uecker to me....which was rather appropriate considering some of the comically bad play of the Buccos. Made me feel like I was watching a season long remake of "Major League."

Threads : 138

Quote Originally Posted by Steelreign View Post
    I like the announcers for the most part. They atleast are able to hold my attention throughout the game. I loved Lanny, Nellie, Rooker and John Sanders back in the day although The Gunner and Milo were the best.
    Milo Hamilton? He got sacked after one year.

Bob Prince and Nellie King were the best. I can still remember the middle names of the Pirates players of the early 70's because Prince would often give their full names for a a plate appearance.

Renaldo Antonio Stennett, Manuel Dejesus Sanguillen, Wilver Dornell Stargetll, Richard Jospeh Hebener...

"There's a bug loose on the rug!"

Threads : 138

I have a hard time telling Greg Brown and Tim Neverett apart. Blass and Walk sound somewhat similar as well.

Quote Originally Posted by tocchet92 View Post
    I have a hard time telling Greg Brown and Tim Neverett apart. Blass and Walk sound somewhat similar as well.
    I'm somewhat close. Nevrett is the only one I can tell sounds different. Brown's voice sounds really similar to Walk and Blass's to me. Then again, I'm most likely partially deaf from playing in bands for years

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I am a big fan of Milo, I don't know why though. I just have always liked him. I liked him in Atlanta and Houston as well.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Threads : 61

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    I'm somewhat close. Nevrett is the only one I can tell sounds different. Brown's voice sounds really similar to Walk and Blass's to me. Then again, I'm most likely partially deaf from playing in bands for years
    I'm with you. I can tell Walk because of his distinct dry humor. Also, IMO, he's the most knowledgeable, and the least of the homers.

Quote Originally Posted by El Sid View Post
    I'm with you. I can tell Walk because of his distinct dry humor. Also, IMO, he's the most knowledgeable, and the least of the homers.
    Man... i have a hard time telling if any of them are homers, not like every others teams announcers. their teams could suck but they blow rays of sunshine out of the teams ***. Pirates announcers seem like they are dragged in by their teeth

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information