Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mendenhall vs. Slow Willie

Threads : 88
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Mendenhall vs. Slow Willie

There's still a minimum of 10 games to go (assuming nothing too radical happens by the trade deadline) so we'll see how it all goes. It's always a case of permanent reassessment, but Willie's productivity (oo-er, Missus!) seems to be a diminishing return right now.

Threads : 60

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think the catch/stumble was due to his "specially designed hard-fiberglass" shoes by Nike... No flexibility so as to protect the toe.... But sorta like walking in ski boots.

I'm not ready to crown Mendy the starter just yet... I say platoon them alot over the balance of the season and get use out of both of them. Hell, it's better to have semi-fresh backs than a tired one going down the stretch.... I think even Parker knows his days are numbered here in Pgh, so why not let him "play hard" for a contract with someone next season, and gain the rewards from it?.... Assuming that can happen.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo......... ..............These guys are professionals and in the best shape of their life. Does Peterson need to be platooned? What about Steven Jackson? I don't buy into this platooning crap. If we continue to keep trying to make Willie happy we are only delaying Mendy's progression. Mendy needs to carry the ball 25 times a game with Willie maybe carrying it 5 anything more then that we are asking for trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Les View Post
    Yep.Willie is certainly a change of pace back...................if you want your running game to cease.

Les, you have made me very proud.

Threads : 135
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think the catch/stumble was due to his "specially designed hard-fiberglass" shoes by Nike... No flexibility so as to protect the toe.... But sorta like walking in ski boots.

I'm not ready to crown Mendy the starter just yet... I say platoon them alot over the balance of the season and get use out of both of them. Hell, it's better to have semi-fresh backs than a tired one going down the stretch.... I think even Parker knows his days are numbered here in Pgh, so why not let him "play hard" for a contract with someone next season, and gain the rewards from it?.... Assuming that can happen.
    A tired back? The way the team is playing now even if one of the backs got all the carries he wouldn't get enough to be tired at the end of the season.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegasGuy View Post
    Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo......... ..............These guys are professionals and in the best shape of their life. Does Peterson need to be platooned? What about Steven Jackson? I don't buy into this platooning crap. If we continue to keep trying to make Willie happy we are only delaying Mendy's progression. Mendy needs to carry the ball 25 times a game with Willie maybe carrying it 5 anything more then that we are asking for trouble.
    What I'm getting at, LVG, is the fact that you need more than one back... Peterson and Jackson are a different breed than any of the horses in our stable IMO.... Besides, when was the last time we went an entire season with just one, and did so successfully? We've consistently needed more than one to get the job done, then you can start talkin' the injury thing on top of that... Most teams (yea, not all, but most) have seen the advantages to utilizing multiple backs... Including the Steelers.... I'm not saying it should necessarily be evenly distributed, but just spread it around enough that they are all somewhat fresh in late December and January.... If we're lucky enough to be playing in the post season.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Quote Originally Posted by Lup View Post
    Most teams now employ RB by committee. I think the Steelers would be best served doing the same. Give Mendenhall 75% of the work WP can get his change of pace carries, and Moore is excellent in his 3rd down role.
    I'd almost rather see Mendenhall get 75% and Moore get 25% of the rest of the touches...whether receiving or rushing. I think that right now Moore might be the most established, complete back we have...sadly.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegasGuy View Post
    I will say this much...your argument about Jackson and Peterson lacks some historical relevance. I mean...its arguable that what Peterson is doing is akin to what LT was doing in San Diego...and LT has just been worn down. LT is just 30 years old and done. He carried the ball/touched the ball more than anyone in the league who wasn't a QB for years...and he's paid for it dearly. Sure they got 7+ good years out of LT before he went down hill...but this league has too much abuse to dole out on RBs to simply have one back carry the load for a team...unless you want that back's career to be shortened.

Maybe the argument is/should be that you should run one back until the tires fall off for 5 years and then get a new one. That could well be the direction that the NFL is headed. But I think that in terms of history...its tough to say that riding one back doesn't cause problems down the road--but hell...maybe we need to forget the future and look at the present and make that work and worry about the rest later...that argument would carry some weight in a league that is all about "win now."
    Hidden Content

Threads : 122

Quote Originally Posted by BigBen2112 View Post
    I'd almost rather see Mendenhall get 75% and Moore get 25% of the rest of the touches...whether receiving or rushing. I think that right now Moore might be the most established, complete back we have...sadly.
    BINGO! Mendenhall and Moore give you the opportunity to run or throw on any down. When Willie is in there, sure, you can throw to him....but he has to be standing still to catch the ball. Look at the Browns game. On the play before he fumbled Ben throws to him, and he jumps up in the air to catch a pass that hits him in the hip, then he stumbles around to get going again and picks up like 3 or 4 yards where if he catches the ball while still moving and turns it upfield right away he could of picked up 15 yards.

If I was on D, I wouldn't pay much attention to him at all in the passing game. Where with Mendy & Moore they are both good dump off options.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    BINGO! Mendenhall and Moore give you the opportunity to run or throw on any down. When Willie is in there, sure, you can throw to him....but he has to be standing still to catch the ball. Look at the Browns game. On the play before he fumbled Ben throws to him, and he jumps up in the air to catch a pass that hits him in the hip, then he stumbles around to get going again and picks up like 3 or 4 yards where if he catches the ball while still moving and turns it upfield right away he could of picked up 15 yards.

If I was on D, I wouldn't pay much attention to him at all in the passing game. Where with Mendy & Moore they are both good dump off options.
    And make no mistake about it...Moore could take the ball 10-times a game and carry it for a decent gain. I'd really like to see Moore get the ball 8-12 times per game...b/c I think he's a yardage eater...a little like Ward...and he normally will get ya a first down. That means if he's seeing the ball 8-12 times...we're probably movin' the chains and being productive on O.
    Hidden Content

What I'm getting at, LVG, is the fact that you need more than one back... Peterson and Jackson are a different breed than any of the horses in our stable IMO.... Besides, when was the last time we went an entire season with just one, and did so successfully? We've consistently needed more than one to get the job done, then you can start talkin' the injury thing on top of that... Most teams (yea, not all, but most) have seen the advantages to utilizing multiple backs... Including the Steelers.... I'm not saying it should necessarily be evenly distributed, but just spread it around enough that they are all somewhat fresh in late December and January.... If we're lucky enough to be playing in the post season.
    Just like Benny said. We are a passing team first and a running team second. When was the last time we actually committed to the run and kept with it the entire game? If we rush 20 times a game then I see no reason why Mendy can't take all the touches and still be fresh for the playoffs. Willie is just hampering an already suspect running game.

I will say this much...your argument about Jackson and Peterson lacks some historical relevance. I mean...its arguable that what Peterson is doing is akin to what LT was doing in San Diego...and LT has just been worn down. LT is just 30 years old and done. He carried the ball/touched the ball more than anyone in the league who wasn't a QB for years...and he's paid for it dearly. Sure they got 7+ good years out of LT before he went down hill...but this league has too much abuse to dole out on RBs to simply have one back carry the load for a team...unless you want that back's career to be shortened.

Maybe the argument is/should be that you should run one back until the tires fall off for 5 years and then get a new one. That could well be the direction that the NFL is headed. But I think that in terms of history...its tough to say that riding one back doesn't cause problems down the road--but hell...maybe we need to forget the future and look at the present and make that work and worry about the rest later...that argument would carry some weight in a league that is all about "win now."
    Do you really think we are riding Mendenhall's back? When we go back to running first, passing second offense, then yes, maybe it would be wise to go to a dual rushing attack but right now Mendy should get all the carries.

Threads : 48

Been saying that all day.

Threads : 164
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I usually give players the benefit of the doubt, but Willie Parker and Limas Sweed are dead to me!

Threads : 48

Quote Originally Posted by bdeff View Post
    I usually give players the benefit of the doubt, but Willie Parker and Limas Sweed are dead to me!
    Correct me if I'm wrong,but doesn't something being dead constitute it once being alive.I have serious doubts about Sweed being that.

Threads : 10

I think the chick in LasVegas Guy's siggy shaves.

Just sayin......

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information