Thread: Steelers' Clark will become unrestricted free agent

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Steelers' Clark will become unrestricted free agent

Steelers' Clark will become unrestricted free agent
    Thursday, March 04, 2010
    By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers' Ryan Clark takes out the Ravens' Willis McGahee with a brutal hit in the fourth quarter of the 2008 AFC Championship at Heinz Field.

Ryan Clark will become an unrestricted free agent on Friday after he and the Steelers failed to come to a contract agreement.

Clark, the team's starting free safety the past four years, said consistently that he wanted to remain with the Steelers but the two sides never came close in contract negotiations.

He was one of three players football operations director Kevin Colbert identified as a priority to sign before free agency. They locked up the other two by signing nose tackle Casey Hampton to a three-year contract and making kicker Jeff Reed the franchise player.

Clark was the only other player involved in negotiations with the team before free agency so all of their other perspective free agents will become unrestricted at midnight: Halfback Willie Parker, cornerback Deshea Townsend, quarterback Charlie Batch, linebacker Rocky Boiman, safety Tyrone Carter, defensive ends Nick Eason and Travis Kirschke, wide receiver Joey Galloway and two potential restricted free agents who did not receive tenders from the team, guard Darnell Stapleton and halfback Carey Davis.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10063/1040355-100.stm
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 10

Default Re: Steelers' Clark will become unrestricted free agent

Hope this doesn't come back to bite them in the ***, but I think it is the best way for the team to get a deal done that locks Clark up and doesn't over pay for him at the same time.

Threads : 691

Steelers let Clark become a free agent
    Friday, March 05, 2010
    By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    Peter Diana/Post-GazetteRyan Clark has been the Steelers' starting free safety for four seasons.Ryan Clark's desire to remain with the Steelers made no difference as he failed to come to a contract agreement and became free to sign elsewhere today.

Clark, the team's starting free safety the past four years, likely will move on and sign with another team, just as he did when he joined the Steelers as an unrestricted free agent from the Washington Redskins in 2006.

It's becoming a tradition with the position. The Steelers signed Clark four years ago after they lost their own starting free safety, Chris Hope, to the Tennessee Titans as a free agent. Now, they either will try to sign another to replace Clark, draft one or turn inward to someone such as Ryan Mundy.

The other half of the equation also starts today: The Steelers can start negotiating with other teams' free agents to try to fill holes and add depth to their roster. Since this is an uncapped year for salaries in the NFL, teams are free to spend as much or as little as they want. Steelers president Art Rooney II said the team will stay within a budget as if there were a salary cap.

Traditionally, the Steelers do not move quickly in free agency and when they do, they usually do not sign those among the top-tiered free agents. They signed virtually no one last season but did find halfback Mewelde Moore and special teams captain and linebacker Keyaron Fox in 2008, along with starting center Justin Hartwig, who had been released by the Carolina Panthers.

The Steelers' most notable acquisition in free agency on the team is linebacker and defensive captain James Farrior, signed from the New York Jets in 2002.

Joel Turner, Clark's agent, said Thursday he would have no comment after he and the team never came close in contract negotiations. Clark was one of three players identified by football operations director Kevin Colbert as a priority to sign before free agency. The team locked up the other two by signing nose tackle Casey Hampton to a three-year contract and making kicker Jeff Reed the franchise player.

Early this week, Clark said, "I want to be here, my family likes it here," but he added that he was getting no "love" from the Steelers, such as Hampton and others who signed within the past year have received.

Clark was the only other player involved in negotiations with the team before free agency, so all of the Steelers' other prospective free agents will become unrestricted at midnight: Halfback Willie Parker, cornerback Deshea Townsend, quarterback Charlie Batch, linebacker Rocky Boiman, safety Tyrone Carter, defensive ends Nick Eason and Travis Kirschke, wide receiver Joey Galloway and two potential restricted free agents who did not receive tenders from the team, guard Darnell Stapleton and halfback Carey Davis.

The Steelers' four restricted free agents also can begin negotiations with other teams today, although the Steelers maintain some rights to them and can match any offer. The four are tackle Willie Colon, cornerback William Gay, tight end Matt Spaeth and punter Daniel Sepulveda.

There is a chance half of the team's starting secondary and three of their front five could leave as free agents: Clark, Townsend and Gay. While the Steelers issued Gay a tender, another team can sign him and give up only a fifth-round draft pick if the Steelers decline to match.

Read more: http://pittsburghpost-gazette.com/pg...#ixzz0hJ3lCdOS
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

Threads : 135
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BlackJackGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hope this doesn't come back to bite them in the ***, but I think it is the best way for the team to get a deal done that locks Clark up and doesn't over pay for him at the same time.
    He wants more money than he's worth...but at the same time...Mundy cannot be our starting S.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Threads : 407
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think it is the FO's ploy to get him on the cheap, figuring he will be back, unless someone wants to overpay for him.

Threads : 10

How can it be both cheap for the Steelers or someone else overpaying him?

It's one or the other.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'll say this right now before mass panic really strikes in..

It was a couple seasons ago when the Steelers decided to move on without Chrs Hope who was in all honesty a more talented safety than Clark.

Panic settled in, Troy complained about losing a guy in Hope that he relied on and depended on and we signed a guy from the Red Skins ...

The guy from the Red Skins turned out alright. Now we're moving on again. Whether it be us going in house for the replacement or not... we might just be fine

Threads : 122

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post

It was a couple seasons ago when the Steelers decided to move on without Chrs Hope who was in all honesty a more talented safety than Clark.

Panic settled in, Troy complained about losing a guy in Hope that he relied on and depended on and we signed a guy from the Red Skins ...

The guy from the Red Skins turned out alright. Now we're moving on again. Whether it be us going in house for the replacement or not... we might just be fine
    I have already heard Keenan Lewis name mentioned with shifting to FS. Maybe an in house replacement, as you mention, is already waiting.

Threads : 49

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post

It's been awhile since I've posted. Just had to log on to say - Thank you, Steelers! Great news! Clark is a mediocre at best FS, who's play is elevated when Troy starts, but he still isn't that good, IMO. How many times was he burned last year? At least a handful of times. How many pass plays did he have a positive impact on? I can't think of too many. He seems to be invisible on most pass plays or he's getting burned. How many times did we see a RB or WR blow right by him on the sidelines because he's just not very fast? A LOT.

I appreciate the time that Clark put in for the Steelers, but it's time to upgrade that position. It's been a LONG time since the Steelers had a good FS. Hope might've been slightly more talented than Clark but he sucks too.

It'd be nice if the Steelers got a decent compliment to Troy.

I wouldn't mind Lewis playing that position, but who knows if he can or if the Steelers are even entertaining that thought. The draft just got a little more interesting.

Threads : 23
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

With a healthy Troy, they all look like Pro Bowlers back there.
    Sweet *** sig thanks to Kipper.Hidden Content

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information