Thread: NCAA tourney expansion a money grab

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default NCAA tourney expansion a money grab

Paul Daugherty
    Thursday, March 4, 2010
    NCAA tourney expansion a money grab
    March 4, 2010

More isn't better, unless we're talking kindness, sex or life expectancy, and we're not. More is just more.

Expanding the NCAA basketball tournament from 65 teams to 96 wouldn't be Madness. More like Mild Dementia, i.e. what you'd experience if you had to watch Stony Brook play twice in three days. March Mild Dementia.

This is the talk, though. If 65 is perfect, then 96 is perfect-er. How American. The NCAA can escape its 11-year contract with CBS, after the eighth year. That would be this year. That raises the possibility of a more lucrative deal, with the pot sweetener being more games.

When the answer is "You'll make more money" the response is usually "Where do I sign?" That's true here. If the NCAA can squeeze more swag from a network or two, it will very likely sign off on 96 teams. That's 31 more games than we have now. Thirty-one more chances to sell advertising.

It's a bad idea. It's like making an M&M the size of a manhole cover. Hey, more chocolate!

Moderation is a good way to live and a smart way to run a tournament. At 65 teams, the NCAA has bracket perfection. Everybody fits on an 8-inch by 11-inch piece of paper. The bracket flows, concise and readable, from the copier. At 96 teams, it is a certifiable mess.

This is no small consideration. Casual fans do not watch the tournament unless they bet on it. They do not sit in sports bars for 12 hours, screaming nonsensically "Go you Siena Saints!" at a plasma screen if they don't have a few brackets in their pockets.

"The only people who would be disappointed would be all those people that have already printed out their 64-game (actually, 63-game) bracket sheets," proclaimed Wisconsin coach Bo Ryan.

Well, yeah.

Those "only people" make up a large percentage of the TV audience. When their bracket is busted, they're back watching "Dancing With the Stars." If office pools were somehow made a capital crime and the enforcement of that crime were somehow absolute, the NCAA Tournament would become a cooking show until the Final Four.

If you're planning a 96-team printable bracket, it better come with a magnifying glass.

Meantime, the regular season would be less relevant than it is now. Those of us who junk on college ball would still watch. I like watching the local teams all the way through. Who's getting better, who's not? Which coach has made a deeper mark on his team? I like watching the seasons evolve.

I'm not Bracket Guy or Girl. Those people don't watch Big Monday. They probably aren't even aware of it. They are the folks whose eyeballs the NCAA and the networks need, to bump ratings. Who says a move to 96 teams would grab their attention more than 65 teams does now?

Who says more teams would mean more money for the network(s)? The tournament's ratings have been diving for years. Ten years ago, the UConn-Duke title game earned a 17.2 rating. The North Carolina-Michigan State final last year pulled a 10.8. The average rating for all the games in 1999 was 6.3; last year, it was 5.7.

So, the solution is to give fewer viewers more of what they're watching less. Well, OK.

Coaches are for expansion, because it'd help more of them keep their jobs. But really, how many 17-win teams from the Big East or the ACC do we really need? Making the tournament is still a worthy goal. At 96 teams, making the tournament is the short-pants equivalent of playing in the Fort Worth Bowl.

I don't care that about 56 percent of FBS football teams play in bowl games, while only 19 percent of D-1 basketball teams make the Madness. This isn't tee ball. There are no participation ribbons. And I don't watch the International Bowl unless I've got a relative playing quarterback.

Even now, only half a dozen teams have a realistic chance of having One Shining Moment. The opening-round quaintness has ebbed to a few No. 12s beating a few No. 5s. The selection committee is very good at its work. With 96 teams, you add another 31 Cinderallas. There aren't that many carriages.

It's coming, though, you watch. March Mild Dementia. Stick that in your office copier.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...n+a+money+grab
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 6

Default Re: NCAA tourney expansion a money grab

That would really suck. I know I won't be watching the early games. Duquesne in the NCAAs...WOOHOO.

There are enough little guys in it who bring compelling stories.

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: NCAA tourney expansion a money grab

Quote Originally Posted by ihateusernames View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That would really suck. I know I won't be watching the early games. Duquesne in the NCAAs...WOOHOO.

There are enough little guys in it who bring compelling stories.
    I gotta agree.... Too many "little guys" spoils the pot, IMO....
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information