Thread: Perrotto on Morton

Threads : 23

Default Perrotto on Morton

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sp...be-a-star.html

Perrotto: If he can harness his stuff, Morton can be a star
    By: John Perrotto
    Beaver County Times

Friday March 5, 2010 07:19 AM

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. — The closest thing the Pirates have to ace will never say he is that pitcher. He is much too modest and shy for that.

The statistics certainly won’t say he is the closest thing the Pirates have to an ace.

The Pirates won’t put enough pressure on him to say he is the closest thing they have to ace.

But if you are privileged enough to talk to scouts who watch the games from the seats behind home plate, they will tell you Charlie Morton has the best chance to become the Pirates’ ace, regardless of his 9-17 career record and 5.34 ERA in 34 games, 33 starts.

“Some time when he’s pitching, watch the game on television from the center-field camera angle,” a veteran major-league scout said. “Look at how much his pitches move. That’s why the Pirates traded a pretty darned good little player for him.”

Pirates general manager Neal Huntington drew the ire of fans last June 3 when he made the controversial trade that shipped Nate McLouth, coming off a season in which he played in the All-Star Game and won a Gold Glove, to the Atlanta Braves for Morton and a pair of prospects.

Center fielder Gorkys Hernandez, who will begin this season at Class AAA Indianapolis, and left-hander Jeff Locke, who will likely be assigned to Class AA Altoona, are among the top 15 prospects in the Pirates’ improving farm system. Morton, however, will be the one who will make the break or deal.

“If he can ever learn to harness that stuff, he’s going to win a lot of ballgames,” the scout said.

The Pirates’ 4-2 loss to the Atlanta Braves Thursday afternoon was another step in the learning process for Morton. He gave up one run in two innings and walked three, saying, “it truly felt like I hadn’t pitch since September. Everything seemed brand new.”
    Advertisement Claim Free Listing

The 26-year-old has all the tools for success: a mid-90s fastball, a big-breaking curveball, a biting slider and a serviceable changeup. At 6-foot-5, he also creates plenty of leverage on his pitches.

Yet, Morton hasn’t tasted much success in the equivalent of one full major-league season.

“With young pitchers, it takes time,” Pirates manager John Russell said. “It usually doesn’t happen overnight.”

Morton had his ups and down following the trade, going 5-9 with a 4.55 ERA in 18 starts. The biggest downer was his Aug. 14 start against the Cubs in Chicago when he was hammered for 10 runs in one inning. When he returned to Wrigley Field on Sept. 30, he pitched a four-hit shutout in his final start of the year.

“I struck out the side in the first inning of my last start and I thought about the irony of that as I was walking back to the dugout,” Morton said. “I don’t want to say it was a big turning point in my career or something like that. Time will tell if that’s the case but it did make me feel pretty good.”

If it gave Morton a big enough boost to his confidence to make it come even close to matching his raw ability, then he should be on his way to ascending to the top of the Pirates’ starting rotation.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Perrotto on Morton

Just like was mentioned in the other 2 or 3 McLouth Threads ... Morton has the "stuff" to be a #1-2 pitcher and it's true, that some more experience and maturity might perhaps get him there. There's so much more potential and a ceiling with Morton than McLouth will ever have and THIS, these are the types of riskier type moves we should be making..

Wasn't Kerrigan supposed to be working on something of Morton's much like he did with Dorf and is with Hart?

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Kerrigan wants him to slow his wind-up and bring his hands staight up above his head. Kerrigan wants to also give him some focus points to work on.
    This guy has some nasty stuff, which imo, is the best on the staff. I look for him to get 14 wins this year.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Quote Originally Posted by Steelreign View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Kerrigan wants him to slow his wind-up and bring his hands staight up above his head. Kerrigan wants to also give him some focus points to work on.
    This guy has some nasty stuff, which imo, is the best on the staff. I look for him to get 14 wins this year.
    I thought that was what was wanted recently out of Kevin Hart?

Threads : 85
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

14 wins is pushing it especially if kerrigan starts to tweak his delivery, its gonna take some time for him to get used to it.

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Kip, I had read that Kerrigan wanted to take a similar apprpoach with Morton. It was in one of the mags previewing the 2010 season, athlon's or one of those. Anyway JK wants a more deliberate and consistant wind-up from Morton because his upper torso was too far out in front of his release point.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Kip, I had read that Kerrigan wanted to take a similar apprpoach with Morton. It was in one of the mags previewing the 2010 season, athlon's or one of those. Anyway JK wants a more deliberate and consistant wind-up from Morton because his upper torso was too far out in front of his release point.
    Makes sense. Just wanted to make sure we weren't mixing up one with the other...

f one thinks about it, the problem with all 3 (Ohlendorf, morton, Hart) is that they lack/lacked control. so it makes sense that Kerrigan is trying very similar approaches with each of them, especially since it appeared top work well with Ohlendorf last year.

I think Morton defintiely needs a consistent release point. The good/great pitchers have consistent release points that makes it ridiculously tough to read a pitch to the point where it becomes guess work. Morton has the pitches and movement, he just needs to probably not tip batters off with inconsistent release points... His "control" issues should get helped automatically by batters swinging at pitchers out fo the zone that they aren't guessing correctly about ahead of time

Threads : 21

keep it quiet, I am taking him in the last round in my FBl

Location : Pirates fan trapped 11 CTA stops north of Wrigley Field
    Threads : 72

Kerrigan Dave Kerwin wants him to slow his wind-up and bring his hands staight[sic] up above his head.
    Fixed that for ya.
    Free your *** and your mind will follow.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information