Thread: Ben unhappy with team's performance

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Ben unhappy with team's performance

October 18, 2009
    Roethlisberger unhappy with team's performance
    By JIM WEXELL
    For The Tribune-Democrat

PITTSBURGH — The Cleveland Browns entered Sunday’s game with the worst run defense in the NFL.

But when the new stats come out today, they may have the worst pass defense, too.

Ben Roethlisberger carved up the Browns for 417 yards through the air and two touchdowns in a 27-14 Steelers win at Heinz Field.

It was the second 400-yard passing day of Roethlisberger’s career, and the natural question is this: Why did the Steelers throw so much against the Browns’ soft run stoppers?

“We came out with the intention of running the ball,” said Roethlisberger. “When I got to the no-huddle, I said, ‘Let’s just get in the shotgun and start slinging it around.’ It worked for us.”

Roethlisberger completed

23 of 35 passes and was intercepted once. He threw touchdown passes of 8 yards to Heath Miller and 52 yards to Hines Ward in the second quarter after turning to the no-huddle, in which Roethlisberger calls the plays.

Roethlisberger nearly had a third touchdown pass in the quarter, a 13-yarder to Ward that was reviewed and disallowed after Ward rolled out of bounds and then dropped the ball.

Ward finished with eight catches for 159 yards, the third-highest yardage total of his career and the most since he had a personal-best 171 at Atlanta in 2006.

Santonio Holmes also crossed the century mark with 104 yards on five catches, giving the Steelers a 400-yard passer and two

100-yard receivers in the same game for the second time in team history.

The other time, the Steelers tied the Atlanta Falcons in 2002.

Roethlisberger notched his first winning 400-yard performance, having lost to Denver in 2006 when he threw for 433 yards, but the quarterback wasn’t satisfied on Sunday.

He called it “a subpar performance by our offense.”

If that was subpar, what’s the ceiling?

“I don’t know,” Roethlisberger said. “I don’t know if we even know what it is. We’ve just got to keep reaching for it.”

Offensive coordinator Bruce Arians’ game plan had nothing to do with picking on Cleveland’s tight-pressing cornerbacks. He stood by his and Coach Mike Tomlin’s earlier positive assessment of Brandon McDonald and Eric Wright, and instead thought Roethlisberger’s success had more to do with the play of the Steelers’ offensive line and the zone-blitzing of the Browns.

For example, Miller’s touchdown catch was made over 265-pound DE/OLB David Bowens at the end of a nine-second play.

Miller had five catches for

80 yards and agreed with Arians’ breakdown, but had a simpler explanation for the Steelers’ prolific production in the passing game.

“This is the best I’ve ever seen (Roethlisberger) play,” Miller said. “I’ve seen him play pretty darn good sometimes. I just think the more you do something, the more comfortable you are with it, and Ben has full command of this offense. He’s had full command for a few years now, but he just keeps getting better and better.”

And the ceiling remains out of sight.

“The points didn’t match the performance,” said Arians. “When we put it all together, I think we can be pretty daggone good.”

http://www.tribune-democrat.com/spor...291235228.html
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 691

Default Re: Ben unhappy with team's performance

The points didn’t match the performance,”
    That's probably my only complaint.

Threads : 137
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Well he admits having the game plan of running the ball. I guess they abandoned the run since it wasn't effective and went to the pass.

That's my biggest concern.

Threads : 135
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by buccoray61 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's probably my only complaint.
    I would definitely agree with that...417 yards passing...and yet only 27 points? That's not what you wanna see in terms of the scoreboard.

I do think its interesting...I am wondering (as Ben now leads the NFL in passing yards) if someone who leads the league in passing has ever won a super bowl that year.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Quote Originally Posted by BigBen2112 View Post
    I do think its interesting...I am wondering (as Ben now leads the NFL in passing yards) if someone who leads the league in passing has ever won a super bowl that year.
    Off the top of my head, maybe Peyton?
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    Off the top of my head, maybe Peyton?
    In 2006-2007 season Drew Brees was the #1 passer in the league yardage wise.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Quote Originally Posted by BigBen2112 View Post
    In 2006-2007 season Drew Brees was the #1 passer in the league yardage wise.
    Well there you go... I said it was "off the top of my head", and you see where that got me...

..... I'd look it up and do some research, but the web browser here at this hotel is S-L-O-W.... We're talkin' something just a little better than dial-up... So I'm not going looking for stats today thru multiple pages...

But while Ben is obviously having a stellar season so far, I'm not even going to start thinking Super Bowl till I see more consistency and shut-down ability on defense (can't believe I just said that...).

Going back to 1990:

1990-91= Warren Moon, Houston
    1991-92= Warren Moon, Houston
    1992-93= Dan Marino, Miami
    1993-94= John Elway, Denver
    1994-95= Drew Bledsoe, New England
    1995-96= Brett Farve, Green Bay
    1996-97= Mark Brunell, Jacksonville
    1997-98= Jeff George, Oakland
    1998-99= Brett Farve, Green Bay
    1999-00= Steve Beuerlein, Carolina
    2000-01= Peyton Manning, Indianapolis
    2001-02= Kurt Warner, St. Louis
    2002-03= Rich Gannon, Oakland
    2003-04= Peyton Manning, Indianapolis
    2004-05= Daunte Culpepper, Minnesota
    2005-06= Tom Brady, New England
    2006-07= Drew Brees, New Orleans
    2007-08= Tom Brady, New England
    2008-09= Drew Brees, New Orleans

SB Winners=
    1991, NY Giants
    1992, Wash Redskins
    1993, Dal Cowgirls
    1994, Dal Cowgirls
    1995, San Fran 49'ers
    1996, Dal Cowgirls
    1997, GB Packers
    1998, Den Broncos
    1999, Den Broncos
    2000, StL Rams
    2001, Balt Ravens
    2002, NE Patriots
    2003, TB Buccaneers
    2004, NE Patriots
    2005, NE Patriots
    2006, Pit Steelers
    2007, Ind Colts
    2008, NY Giants
    2009, Pit Steelers

I dont see, at least since 1990-91 season, any team win a SB who's QB led the league in passing that year.

Quite startling actually.

Now, no team had ever won a SB as the last seed in the playoffs either...and we did. So who knows...but I do find it interesting...and the biggest reason, I think, is that the passing game can fail for you and if you dont have anything else you lose in big games where the best teams play--the playoffs--and you're forced to be one-dimensional.

We need to be able to have a running game that can help us win games...and our D certainly needs to be better too.
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    Well there you go... I said it was "off the top of my head", and you see where that got me...

..... I'd look it up and do some research, but the web browser here at this hotel is S-L-O-W.... We're talkin' something just a little better than dial-up... So I'm not going looking for stats today thru multiple pages...

But while Ben is obviously having a stellar season so far, I'm not even going to start thinking Super Bowl till I see more consistency and shut-down ability on defense (can't believe I just said that...).
    I completely agree with you on that...but we also need a running game too...to take SOME pressure off of Ben.
    Hidden Content

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information