Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Jeff Reed - Public Intoxication @ 9 after the game

Threads : 82
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Jeff Reed - Public Intoxication @ 9 after the game

Quote Originally Posted by bleedBnG58 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't have a problem with Reed, he is a young, living it up, on top of the world, what he did wasn't that bad, stupid...yes...and probably blown out of proportion. No one can deny he isn't a team player. But I would be willing to guess more than half the posters here have been in more trouble than he has been in.

Why does Spaeth get the pass? ****ing in a parking lot...after leaving a bar that most likely had perfectly good restrooms. I sure wouldn't want to be him...would love to be in the room when he has to go eye to eye with MT. Rooney's will love the publicity too.

But once again all the attention went to Reed. I'm jealous.....he gets to live the life most of us can only dream of.
    I am just going to go ahead and agree with ya Bleed because I see that sig you have and I just think YES!

Threads : 58

Quote Originally Posted by sjdrewk View Post
    ....by no means do I think athletes should be choir boys.
    Absolutely.

They should feel free to live how they want and do what they want to do
    Absolutely. If Reed wants to go out every night and become a full blown alcoholic, that is fine with me. I don't care.

...but by all means when you reach a certain age, learn to behave responsibly; putting your hands up to a policeman isn't smart.
    And that's the problem with Reed. The guy just doesn't go out and get hammered. He goes out and get's arrested after getting hammered. It could very well possibly cost him a game or two and put our team in a tricky situation when it comes to our kicking game. I can't imagine the Rooney's or Reed's fellow teammate's being very proud of him right now.

This isn't the first time we've heard a Reed story. I am getting tired of Reed's act.
    And that will be just one of the reasons why he will not be a Pittsburgh Steeler next season in my opinion. At this point, I say good riddance. He's only hurting the team and embarrassing the organization at this point in his career.
    Last edited by Pittsburgh; Oct-19-2009 at 10:31 PM.

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Reed definitely isn't all there. He certainly has a problem lately with alcohol and the law and if he isn't carefull, he'll be out of a job and Adam Sandler will be mocking his life in an upcoming movie.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

sjdrewk

Quote Originally Posted by Pittsburgh View Post
    Absolutely.

Absolutely. If Reed wants to go out every night and become a full blown alcoholic, that is fine with me. I don't care.

I feel the same way. If Mr. Reed likes to get wasted, then fine, drink all you want, it's your life, Reed.

And that's the problem with Reed. The guy just doesn't go out and get hammered. He goes out and get's arrested after getting hammered. It could very well possibly cost him a game or two and put our team in a tricky situation when it comes to our kicking game. I can't imagine the Rooney's or Reed's fellow teammate's being very proud of him right now.

That's it....like you say, he doesn't just get drunk, he has to break the law and put his hands up to PD. When you put your hands up in a fighting stance that is considered a threat to police. You know what happens if you or I put up our dukes to a member of the PD? Two things happen, we get tasered beat with a stick and mauled by a squadron of police then we spend time in jail and then we get a nice felony record for attempted assault on a police officer. Try to get a job with that on your record.

And that will be just one of the reasons why he will not be a Pittsburgh Steeler next season in my opinion. At this point, I say good riddance. He's only hurting the team and embarrassing the organization at this point in his career.
    Yes, you're right. It doesn't look good for Reed staying in Pittsburgh after this season. For more reason than this incident. There is the money issue, then there is his play this year, he has come up short in a couple of games. If we had an 8 ball and asked the question: Is Reed going to play in Pittsburgh next season the answer would be: "All signs point to no."

Here is this guy that I really liked up until now. I thought he was just a quirky kicker with his hair and junk.

When I first heard about his bathroom incident and his cavorting around boozing and woman chasing, I just chalked it up to being wild and crazy and reaping the rewards of being a champion. But now I realize after this incident that it is more than that. Who the hell puts their hands up and challenges a policeman to fight? I've done a complete 180 on him; he is beginning to wear real thin on me right now.

Threads : 67
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by bleedBnG58;5085[HIGH-LIGHT
    ]I don't have a problem with Reed, he is a young, living it up, on top of the world, what he did wasn't that bad, stupid...yes...and probably blown out of proportion. No one can deny he isn't a team player. But I would be willing to guess more than half the posters here have been in more trouble than he has been in.[/HIGH-LIGHT]

Why does Spaeth get the pass? ****ing in a parking lot...after leaving a bar that most likely had perfectly good restrooms. I sure wouldn't want to be him...would love to be in the room when he has to go eye to eye with MT. Rooney's will love the publicity too.

But once again all the attention went to Reed. I'm jealous.....he gets to live the life most of us can only dream of.
    I'm younger than him and never would I even THINK about doing the stuff he does. No I don't have the money or the popularity, if thats what you want to call it but I do know when to shut my mouth and keep it shut. Especially to a cop which could potentially end my career forever. Being young is no excuse.

Threads : 691

Steelers' Reed disputes charges
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009
    By Dan Gigler and Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    The agent for Steelers kicker Jeff Reed said yesterday that his client will contest multiple citations issued to Mr. Reed Sunday night after he was forced to the ground and arrested during a confrontation with police outside a North Side bar.

A spokesman for the NFL said the league also is investigating the incident, involving Mr. Reed and tight end Matt Spaeth, who was cited for disorderly conduct after a police officer said he saw Mr. Spaeth urinating in a parking lot.

Mr. Reed's Atlanta-based agent, Don Henderson, said that his client was wrongfully detained.

"We're contesting it," Mr. Henderson said. "It involved somebody else on the team, he got out to try to help and basically got attacked by the police. He was with his parents. He got out and tried to help and evidently they didn't want to hear that. ... It was somebody else trying to do something and Jeff ended up getting slammed in the middle."

Mr. Reed met with the Steelers yesterday to explain his side of the story, Mr. Henderson said.

Steelers spokesman Dave Lockett said yesterday that the team "is still gathering details and will not have a comment until we have more information." The NFL is also investigating the incident, a league spokesman said.

According to police, the confrontation occurred around 9 p.m. Sunday outside McFadden's bar, several hours after Mr. Reed kicked two field goals in the Steelers' 27-14 victory over Cleveland at Heinz Field.

Police had been dispatched to the 200 block of North Shore Drive for an unrelated incident when the responding officers noticed a man, later identified as Mr. Spaeth, urinating outside a large, white SUV.

The officer was taking information from Mr. Spaeth to issue a citation when, police said, Mr. Reed got out of the passenger side of the vehicle.

He refused to get back into the vehicle, which was driven by his father. Instead, Mr. Reed put up his fists and got "into a fighter's stance," according to a police affidavit.

One officer put Mr. Reed in an arm lock while a second officer forced him to the ground. Mr. Reed continued to resist as the officers struggled to get his hands behind him to be put in cuffs, the affidavit said.

Police said Mr. Reed smelled strongly of alcohol and appeared to be intoxicated.

Police issued a citation for simple assault, resisting arrest, disorderly conduct and public drunkenness. He was released at the scene to his father's custody, police said, and will receive a summons in the mail that will order him to court to face the charges.

Dave Ganser, the manager on duty at McFadden's, said that Mr. Reed and Mr. Spaeth had been in the bar before the incident occurred. Mr. Ganster characterized Mr. Reed as a regular patron of McFadden's and personal friend and said that Mr. Reed has never been the source of any problems.

"I think the incident is being blown out of proportion because he's a name that people know," Mr. Ganster said, adding, "There were two people Tased and five people arrested near our building on Sunday, and no one did a story on them."

It is the second time this year that Mr. Reed has had a run-in with police. Earlier this year in Westmoreland County, he pleaded guilty to disorderly conduct and criminal mischief after police said he damaged a paper towel dispenser and harassed employees at a Sheetz convenience store in New Alexandria in February.

In that incident, witnesses told police that Mr. Reed, 30, went into the store bathroom and then became infuriated that there were no towels in the dispenser. He began banging on the dispenser and hurling profanities at employees, even after leaving the store.

Mr. Reed received a summary citation and was fined $543.50, which included $210 in restitution to the store. The NFL fined Mr. Reed $10,000 for that incident.

Mr. Reed is in the final season of a four-year contract that will pay him $1,375,000 in 2009. He would become an unrestricted free agent if the Steelers do not re-sign him by March.

He first signed as a rookie free agent on Nov. 20, 2002, after a kicking tryout in the middle of the week at Heinz Field. He has been a dependable kicker, especially at home in what are often less-than-ideal circumstances for kickers with the tricky winds and the oftentimes sloppy surface at Heinz Field.

Mr. Reed has made 169 of 206 career field goal tries and ranks second in franchise history with 742 points, behind former kicker Gary Anderson with 1,343. He also has been a clutch kicker, making 22 of 25 field goal tries in the last two minutes of games and in overtime. He did miss two field goal tries in Chicago this year in a 3-point Steelers loss. He is 7 of 10 this season on field goal attempts

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09293...#ixzz0USgBcCFU
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

Threads : 691

"We're contesting it," Mr. Henderson said. "It involved somebody else on the team, he got out to try to help and basically got attacked by the police. He was with his parents. He got out and tried to help and evidently they didn't want to hear that. ... It was somebody else trying to do something and Jeff ended up getting slammed in the middle."
    I don't get where his attorney is coming from. Getting out of a vehical,while the cops are interviewing someone else is a big no.
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

sjdrewk

Quote Originally Posted by buccoray61 View Post
    I don't get where his attorney is coming from. Getting out of a vehical,while the cops are interviewing someone else is a big no.
    Agreed, and not only that, Reed has put himself in these situations once too often and he got out of the car and interjected himself. Once the officer tells you to get the **** back, get the **** back. When is it enough with him? Obviously the answer is he hasn't progressed that far.

Threads : 122

Not sure I agree with this. Spaeth was standing beside Reeds vehicle when the cops came up. He wasn't asked to step out of that vehicle and then Reed got out too. So basically Spaeth was in public domain and Reed got out just like you or I could have gotten out of a vehicle and walked up near the cops. That is no crime and the cops couldn't ask us to get back into our vehicle if we were standing on public property.

So then at that point, and I will just throw this out there.....If Jeff was screwing around and jokingly put up his dukes cause the cop was trying to be a hard *** and tell him to get back into a vehicle that they hadn't stopped (which he didn't have to get back into by law), then who knows, maybe Reed was just being a clown and the cop didn't like it and threw him to the ground knowing he could just charge him with all this crap.

Not saying this is what happened cause I have no idea...but Reed would have to be a moron and tough guy to try and actually fist fight a cop...where I take him to be more like a clown that would jokingly put up the dukes cause someone was tough talking him and it got blown out of proportion.

I also like in the article where the owner of McFaddens says that 2 other people were tased by cops and 3 others arrested or soemthing liek that. Obviously the cops were out in full force tough guying drinkers.

Threads : 29

Quote Originally Posted by bleedBnG58 View Post
    I don't have a problem with Reed, he is a young, living it up, on top of the world, what he did wasn't that bad, stupid...yes...and probably blown out of proportion.
    He's 30 years old. I think that has passed the young and stupid age. I disagree with what he did wasn't that bad. It is bad to try and fight a cop. Most of us would still be sitting in a jail cell this morning if we had done that.

No one can deny he isn't a team player. But I would be willing to guess more than half the posters here have been in more trouble than he has been in.
    I can honestly say I have never been in trouble with the law. I did my fair share of stupid things in my younger days. But beating up paper towel dispensers and bowing up to cops was something even as a teenager I had enough sense to not do, much less even think about it in my 20's or at 30.

I don't think Spaeth should be getting a pass. Like I said in some states taking a leak in public could get you listed as a sex offender. A stupid law. But still there really is no excuse for ****ing in a parking lot when you've just came out of a bar with a bathroom. I guess he could use the excuse with Tomlin and the Rooney's that the line was long. I'm sure Tomlin, Colbert and the Rooneys are not real happy with either of them.

I'm not jealous in the life he gets to live. His millions maybe. But it is honestly looking more and more as if Reed might have a serious problem. If he is an alcoholic that is not something to be jealous of as it usually never ends up well for the alcoholic or his family.

There is no excuse imo for either of them acting like idiots and they have embarrassed their team, coaches and the guys that sign their checks. It could also cost their team if the big head Sheriff decides to suspend them. Losing Spaeth wouldn't hurt, but losing Reed a game or two could put the Steelers in scramble mode.
    But like I said Reed and Spaeth can party all they want and I don't care and don't think most people do care. Just do it and have fun without being an idiot and getting your names in the paper because you carried your fun into getting into trouble with the law.

His lawyer is just playing lawyer now. I think it's pretty obvious on how this all went down. Now it's spin time for Reed and his lawyer. He will make a plastered Reed look like a fellow Pittsburgh Steeler coming to another friends rescue.
    Last edited by Pittsburgh; Oct-20-2009 at 11:01 AM.

Threads : 26

When I was stopped for a traffic violation my wife tried to get out of the car to talk to the cop. She was warned that if she did not get back into the car she would be restrained and arrested.She was known to the officer and he told her later that under no circumstance were any persons allowed to approach the police car.If a police officer is being interferred with while performing his duties(ie: giving a citation) he has the right to control the situation.It's not a hard concept to understand.

Threads : 122

Quote Originally Posted by VtSteeler View Post
    When I was stopped for a traffic violation my wife tried to get out of the car to talk to the cop. She was warned that if she did not get back into the car she would be restrained and arrested.She was known to the officer and he told her later that under no circumstance were any persons allowed to approach the police car.If a police officer is being interferred with while performing his duties(ie: giving a citation) he has the right to control the situation.It's not a hard concept to understand.
    Difference is, your CAR got pulled over and your wife got out of your CAR. Spaeth was standing in a parking lot beside Reeds car. Reeds car didn't get pulled over. So a cop can't tell Reed to get back in his car. Do you honestly think there weren't Steelers fans walking by this in a parking lot down there and seeing it?

The issue is Reed then 'interfering' with the cop writing his citation. Reed probably said some smart assed stuff the cop didn't like, the cop probably threatened Reed, so Reed put up his dukes in a joking manner and the cop decided that he would tough guy him.

Don't get me wrong, the cop can tough guy him if he wants, but I would guess that is what happened. Reed isn't a tough guy that would challenge a cop to a fist fight. He seems more like a clown that would try and joke with a cop and it went wrong.

Lets not forget either.....'intoxicated' doesn't mean he was falling all over the place not able to speak coherently.....intoxicated could mean 3 beers and 2 shots over 2 hours. That would make you legally 'intoxicated'.

I had a friend in college that got a DUI for having two beers in an hour and .....got in his car and left. Got pulled over and the cop gave him a breathalizer right away and he failed it. The dude was a 200+ pound guy and 2 beers did absolutely nothing to impair him.

Quote Originally Posted by cardiacsteelers View Post
    [COLOR="Blue"]I'm not jealous in the life he gets to live.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardiacsteelers View Post
    [COLOR="Blue"]I'm not jealous in the life he gets to live.
    I don't think many are at this point. Unless one is jealous of a 'man' who...

A) Clearly has a drinking problem.

B) Get's kicked out of the Igloo club at Mellon Arena on a regular basis.

C) Attempts to pick up girls 15 years younger than him.

D) Has been arrested on two different occasions.

E) Is quickly becoming known as the city's a-hole athlete of the year.

Frankly, I pitty the person who is jealous of that. The guy is a real class act.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    Not sure I agree with this. Spaeth was standing beside Reeds vehicle when the cops came up. He wasn't asked to step out of that vehicle and then Reed got out too. So basically Spaeth was in public domain and Reed got out just like you or I could have gotten out of a vehicle and walked up near the cops. That is no crime and the cops couldn't ask us to get back into our vehicle if we were standing on public property.

So then at that point, and I will just throw this out there.....If Jeff was screwing around and jokingly put up his dukes cause the cop was trying to be a hard *** and tell him to get back into a vehicle that they hadn't stopped (which he didn't have to get back into by law), then who knows, maybe Reed was just being a clown and the cop didn't like it and threw him to the ground knowing he could just charge him with all this crap.

Not saying this is what happened cause I have no idea...but Reed would have to be a moron and tough guy to try and actually fist fight a cop...where I take him to be more like a clown that would jokingly put up the dukes cause someone was tough talking him and it got blown out of proportion.

I also like in the article where the owner of McFaddens says that 2 other people were tased by cops and 3 others arrested or soemthing liek that. Obviously the cops were out in full force tough guying drinkers.
    The officer was taking information from Mr. Spaeth to issue a citation when, police said, Mr. Reed got out of the passenger side of the vehicle.

[HIGH-LIGHT]He refused to get back into the vehicle[/HIGH-LIGHT], which was driven by his father. Instead, Mr. Reed put up his fists and got "into a fighter's stance," according to a police affidavit.

One officer put Mr. Reed in an arm lock while a second officer forced him to the ground. Mr. Reed continued to resist as the officers struggled to get his hands behind him to be put in cuffs, the affidavit said.
    Sure, there's no problem with getting out of your car, but you're told to get back in and you refuse... well you're asking for trouble and that's what Reed did.

I'm going to have a hard time believing Reed's side of the story simply because he's been known to do stupid **** when he's drunk. There's no doubt that he refused to get back into the car and then got into a fighting position. Reed's been said to be a dumb and aggressive drunk. Everything the Police reports state point completely towards Reed being that.

Let's face the facts, just because one person can get drunk and obide the law and orders doesn't mean another person can. We've all seen dumb ****s drunk that think they are invincible, above the law, are wreckless, overly aggressive. I'm sure a good number of those ******s come out of McFadden's too (if anyone has ever been down to Mcfadden's at night. Place is filled with drunken ******bags)

• Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information