Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: insight

Threads : 215

Default insight

I have missed pretty much everything, up to this point. How do things shape up this early? I am dependent on you'se for this information, this time around. I am working a lot and it promises to get worse.

I will be a reader, more than a contributor, for a while.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: insight

Well....

There's a tons of pages worth of reading material here ... wait... you were li e one of the first people to register over here, what the hell have you been doing since mid-October?

To be honest Crossbones, we likely won't win 82 games this season, but we do have a young promisiing team that unfortunately has a ton of question marks. If none of these question marks have bad seasons, this team could surprise a lot of people.

All in all, while last season was a start for some newbies it was also the last phase of the tear down... this season is the beginning of answering questions going forward on an individual level more than a team level.

Minor Leagues are very intriguing. There's a log jam of pitchers at certain levels, there's good potential talent at every level and excellent [prospects throughout the entire minor leagues. We've never been able to say this before...

but, like the MLB roster, we have to see how the players develop in the system...

So, the Pirates are a big gigantic ? but it is actually a question mark that has legit talent, it's just a matter of that talent putting it all together, which is the ?

Can Lastings Milledge duplicate the 5 tool potential he flashed with the Mets?

Can Garrett Jones come close to duplicating 2009?

Can Andrew McCutchen avoid a sophomore slump?

Was it a Thumb injury that held back Andy Laroche's power and bad luck that hurt his BA in 2009??

Can Aki Iwamura stay healthy?

Is Jeff Clement an MLB 1B defensively? Can the potential in his bat translate to the big leagues?

Can Ryan Doumit stay healthy?

Did Joe Kerrigan really unlock something in Ross Ohlendorf that showed
    improvement every month last season?

Can Charlie Morton harness the filthy "stuff" he has?

Which one of Maholm and Duke is going to have the down season?

Can the new BP arms (Donnelly and/or Dotel) stay healthy and produce like expected and hoped?

Threads : 13

Quote Originally Posted by CROSSBONES View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have missed pretty much everything, up to this point. How do things shape up this early? I am dependent on you'se for this information, this time around. I am working a lot and it promises to get worse.

Working a lot is a good thing these days in this economy.

Quote Originally Posted by CROSSBONES View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    Well....

There's a tons of pages worth of reading material here ... wait... you were li e one of the first people to register over here, what the hell have you been doing since mid-October?

To be honest Crossbones, we likely won't win 82 games this season, but we do have a young promisiing team that unfortunately has a ton of question marks. If none of these question marks have bad seasons, this team could surprise a lot of people.

All in all, while last season was a start for some newbies it was also the last phase of the tear down... this season is the beginning of answering questions going forward on an individual level more than a team level.

Minor Leagues are very intriguing. There's a log jam of pitchers at certain levels, there's good potential talent at every level and excellent [prospects throughout the entire minor leagues. We've never been able to say this before...

but, like the MLB roster, we have to see how the players develop in the system...

So, the Pirates are a big gigantic ? but it is actually a question mark that has legit talent, it's just a matter of that talent putting it all together, which is the ?

Can Lastings Milledge duplicate the 5 tool potential he flashed with the Mets?no

Can Garrett Jones come close to duplicating 2009? yesCan Andrew McCutchen avoid a sophomore slump?

Was it a Thumb injury that held back Andy Laroche's power and bad luck that hurt his BA in 2009?? no

Can Aki Iwamura stay healthy?yes

Is Jeff Clement an MLB 1B defensively? Can the potential in his bat translate to the big leagues?no not if both jones and milledge produces, there will be no room for him

Can Ryan Doumit stay healthy?he will be traded in September

Did Joe Kerrigan really unlock something in Ross Ohlendorf that showed
    improvement every month last season??

Can Charlie Morton harness the filthy "stuff" he has?not if his mind is on music instead of pitching
    Which one of Maholm and Duke is going to have the down season?Duke, but both get tired arms in August

Can the new BP arms (Donnelly and/or Dotel) stay healthy and produce like expected and hoped?
    1 of the 2 isn't healthy now

Threads : 18

**** abbreviations...in this instance, does BP mean BullPen or Batting Practice?

Threads : 2

Quote Originally Posted by just_ridin View Post
    **** abbreviations...in this instance, does BP mean BullPen or Batting Practice?
    The 2010 Pirate bullpen is strictly prohibited from pitching batting practice during the game.
    Hidden Content Jacket photograph motifed baseball board game of Epoch Inc. Epoch is putting "Sunday vs Magazine Baseball Boar Game" on the market collaborated with charactors of Weekly Shounen Sunday and Weekly Shounen Magazine now. MAJOR's hero Goro Shigeno (茂野吾郎)'s character card will be sold in the future.

Threads : 2

Quote Originally Posted by wiggles View Post
    I've been working 8:30 AM to 1:30 AM for about 2 weeks; does that count?

I'll be even more dependent on insights next week-I'm off to London for a 10 day break. I'm sure I'll get a few rugby scores mixed in to their 24x7 soccer coverage. Needless to say baseball isn't on their radar screens. Look for me at the Waffle House on Queensway W2-can't pass up that free internet!
    Hidden Content Jacket photograph motifed baseball board game of Epoch Inc. Epoch is putting "Sunday vs Magazine Baseball Boar Game" on the market collaborated with charactors of Weekly Shounen Sunday and Weekly Shounen Magazine now. MAJOR's hero Goro Shigeno (茂野吾郎)'s character card will be sold in the future.

Threads : 0

I'm off to London for a 10 day break. I'm sure I'll get a few rugby scores mixed in to their 24x7 soccer coverage. Needless to say baseball isn't on their radar screens. Look for me at the Waffle House on Queensway W2-can't pass up that free internet!

Yes, but where's the loo, can you help me fix my lorry, and would you PLEASE stop smoking that ghastly ***! Cheeky sod! Wot, wot? Stiff upper lip, God save the Queen, pip-pip!!!
    Last edited by williamjpellas; Mar-10-2010 at 01:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by just_ridin View Post
    Lets hope for Bullpen and that without Matt Capps we won't get Batting Practice

Quote Originally Posted by wiggles View Post
    1 of the 2 isn't healthy now
    Between Donnelly and Dotel? They'll be fine. they're just old and need to be taken slowly at this part of the season... It's like an old car, you don't take it out the first warm day of the year and floor it... you ease into the car and let it build itself

but overall those are some of the question marks needed to be answered this year.

Outside of Doumit staying healthy I think all of the others are definite possibilities especially Milldge and this weird gut feeling with Andy Laroche

I mentioned Andy LaRoche in another thread and I mentioned him here as a question mark and saw that Wiggles doesn't believe his thumb injury held back his power... So out of curiosity I went and checked it out....

now, it's well know that Thumb injuries take a good year or more for players to fully overcome. Andy Laroche first had a the Thumb injury in March of 2008 (before we traded for him). He then reinjured the Thumb in May 2008 and also sat out more games in August 2009 (after he joined the Pirates)..

August 2008 was the last time we really heard about the Thumb injury. So let's assume it started to actually heal from that point forward...

From August 2008 to August 2009 (about a years worth), Andy LaRoche's power was pretty non existent. In that time period he was hitting a Home Run every 74.7 AB's. That is bad for a SS/2B or C, positions not expected to provide power but for a 3B that's is atrocious.

Now... August and September 2009 (after that 1 year period of Thumb healing)... LaRoche hit a Home run every 23 AB's which is a pretty nice Clip. Using his AB's from 2009 that number projects to 25.6 Home Runs per season. That's a nice increase over the 12 he finished with in 2009.

Now, I'm not expecting 25.6 Homers from Andy LaRoche but 20 homers is definitely possible and if you think that average of 23 homers per AB in August/Sept seemed ridiculous, LaRoche was hitting a Homer every 19.2 AB's in the month of September...

Like I've said and keep saying, this 2010 team is one of the MOST intriguing Pirates teams I can remember being fielded in quite some time. It is a very mysterious team because there are as I pointed out a lot of question marks but every player has the potential to be good and also the potential to be bad or have subpar seasons. Andy LaRoche seemed like a good player to point out.

Charlie Morton is another. Erase that 1 outting against the cubs where he lasted an inning and gave up 10 runs (ended up pitching a CG shut out of the Cubs later on) and we're talking about a guy that put up a 3.65 ERA and a 1.37 WHIP. That's a nice foundation to build on especially with Morton's "stuff".

Threads : 8
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Minor Leagues are very intriguing. There's a log jam of pitchers at certain levels, there's good potential talent at every level and [HIGH-LIGHT]excellent[/HIGH-LIGHT] [prospects throughout the entire minor leagues. We've never been able to say this before...
    If you replaced "excellent" with "solid" I'd agree.

The Bucs system is much deeper than I can ever remember, but aside from Pedro there's no top-shelf talent. Just a lot of potentially solid players.

Quote Originally Posted by Daskid View Post
    If you replaced "excellent" with "solid" I'd agree.

The Bucs system is much deeper than I can ever remember, but aside from Pedro there's no top-shelf talent. Just a lot of potentially solid players.
    Excellent and Solid are pretty much the same in my definition book

Sometimes a lot of solid potential is all you need if you have a couple of impact bats. sometimes it's finding that "solid" consistent production that is toughest especially when you have the impact. The impact players won't go far without enough solid players surrounding them. The Milwaukee Brewers found this out last season.

Basically i'm, not as worried about the amount of impact players as I would be about above average talent. Personally I favor a system that has a great number of solid potential while missing some impact players than a system with a few possible impact players and a drop off from there... It's like team construction at the MLB level. You want a strong wall rather than a couple strong rocks if you had a choice

system is moving in the right direction

Threads : 215

A fellow fan, told me last night, that Pedro was a cartoon with a 3 pitch curveball introduction yesterday. It sounds like we need Andy!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information