Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Doumit trade in the works?!?!

Threads : 6

Default Doumit trade in the works?!?!

What do we know?? According to ESPN Insiders:

Rangers manager Ron Washington proclaimed late last week that the catching competition between Jarrod Saltalamacchia and Taylor Teagarden was "dead even" entering Cactus League play.

Neither Saltalamacchia (.233) nor Teagarden (.217) distinguished himself at the plate last season.

Jesse Sanchez of MLB.com writes that the Rangers are concerned with their catching depth. Does that mean a trade is in the works?

According to Buster Olney:

"The latest example of how unpredictable baseball can be: The Rangers' catching situation. Fifteen months ago, they were viewed as an organization with unbelievable depth at the position, and given Jarrod Saltalamacchia's issues, the team now is scrambling for catching. Wrote here last year that rival evaluators were convinced that Saltalamacchia had developed a Mackey Sasser-like problem in throwing the ball back to the pitcher. One way or the other, he's not right."

We also know that J. Russel is nto a big fan of Ryan Doumit. They already have a solid average catcher in JJ and a seemingly reasonable back-up in Kratz with Tony Sanchez not far behind. I wonder if they're dangling a healthy Ryan Doumit right now at a high price?!?!

Threads : 18
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Doumit trade in the works?!?!

I'd jump on that right away...get a middle-minors arm or two from the Rangers deep pitching and off we go.

I know many of you are mesmorized by Doumit, but I've never been a fan. He's at best a 15 HR guy, but that's only if he can stay healthy, which he's proven he hasn't.

Sanchez figures to be only a year/ year-and-a-half out of a ML debut, I think we can find something to hold us over until then.

Threads : 5
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yup.....Doumit is the classic scrappy Pittsburgh player that fans fall head over heels for. He's this year's version of Nyjer Morgan. But he's not in the long term plans, so why not sell when his value is high instead of waiting until he hurts himself again.
    Hidden Content

Who needs the USC song girls?

Threads : 2

Quote Originally Posted by dcm8299 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What do we know?? According to ESPN Insiders:

Rangers manager Ron Washington proclaimed late last week that the catching competition between Jarrod Saltalamacchia and Taylor Teagarden was "dead even" entering Cactus League play.

Neither Saltalamacchia (.233) nor Teagarden (.217) distinguished himself at the plate last season.

Jesse Sanchez of MLB.com writes that the Rangers are concerned with their catching depth. Does that mean a trade is in the works?

According to Buster Olney:

"The latest example of how unpredictable baseball can be: The Rangers' catching situation. Fifteen months ago, they were viewed as an organization with unbelievable depth at the position, and given Jarrod Saltalamacchia's issues, the team now is scrambling for catching. Wrote here last year that rival evaluators were convinced that Saltalamacchia had developed a Mackey Sasser-like problem in throwing the ball back to the pitcher. One way or the other, he's not right."

We also know that J. Russel is nto a big fan of Ryan Doumit. They already have a solid average catcher in JJ and a seemingly reasonable back-up in Kratz with Tony Sanchez not far behind. I wonder if they're dangling a healthy Ryan Doumit right now at a high price?!?!
    I seem to remember that Saltalamacchia was one of those must-have players according to some people on the old Trib board. Is my recollection correct?

Yes, it would be nice to get rid of Doumit, especially if they can get a decent prospect in return. I really don't think Doumit adds much to the organization, given his defensive deficiencies, spotty hitting and an injury record that has most hospitals salivating. That would almost close the book on the Dave Littlefield era at the ML level.
    Hidden Content Jacket photograph motifed baseball board game of Epoch Inc. Epoch is putting "Sunday vs Magazine Baseball Boar Game" on the market collaborated with charactors of Weekly Shounen Sunday and Weekly Shounen Magazine now. MAJOR's hero Goro Shigeno (茂野吾郎)'s character card will be sold in the future.

Threads : 2

Quote Originally Posted by just_ridin View Post
    I'd jump on that right away...get a middle-minors arm or two from the Rangers deep pitching and off we go.

I know many of you are mesmorized by Doumit, but I've never been a fan. He's at best a 15 HR guy, but that's only if he can stay healthy, which he's proven he hasn't.

Sanchez figures to be only a year/ year-and-a-half out of a ML debut, I think we can find something to hold us over until then.
    I don't think there are very many people here who are mesmerized by Doumit. It seems to me most of the people here want him healthy so he can put up some decent numbers at the beginning of the season in order to grease his way out of the organization.

Personally I was much happier with the platoon system they had in place last season when Doumit was injured. It was a bit short on power but it was decent defensively.
    Hidden Content Jacket photograph motifed baseball board game of Epoch Inc. Epoch is putting "Sunday vs Magazine Baseball Boar Game" on the market collaborated with charactors of Weekly Shounen Sunday and Weekly Shounen Magazine now. MAJOR's hero Goro Shigeno (茂野吾郎)'s character card will be sold in the future.

Location : Pirates fan trapped 11 CTA stops north of Wrigley Field
    Threads : 72

Quote Originally Posted by night9hawk View Post
    "... It seems to me most of the people here want him healthy so he can put up some decent numbers at the beginning of the season in order to grease his way out of the organization."
    This is the main thing. Trading Doumit now, we'd get nobody of any worth in return, as he's gonna have to prove himself all over again. Let him get to the ASB without going on the DL, and that'll be a big plus - not only for trade-return purposes, but to help our offense until then, as well.
    Free your *** and your mind will follow.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

Threads : 1817

The question with Doumit is always IF he can stay healthy. IF he can stay healthy, Doumit can produce offensively and most definitely raise his trade stock. It's questionable if he's got great trade right now. you might be looking at a Jason Bay type scenrio like we had in 2008. There's the possibility to trade but the value increased big time by the trade deadline.

but... man, that Rangers system does have some nice arms. If they are willing to give up one, I'd be all for it, if not... hold on to Doumit and see what he can do for a half of a season

Quote Originally Posted by night9hawk View Post
    [HIGH-LIGHT]I seem to remember that Saltalamacchia was one of those must-have players according to some people on the old Trib board.[/HIGH-LIGHT] Is my recollection correct?

Yes, it would be nice to get rid of Doumit, especially if they can get a decent prospect in return. I really don't think Doumit adds much to the organization, given his defensive deficiencies, spotty hitting and an injury record that has most hospitals salivating. That would almost close the book on the Dave Littlefield era at the ML level.
    I seem to remember this but I can't remember exactly who was drooling all over themselves with regards to Salty. Most like was one of Fyug, Mr.Baseball, buccs72, George Jones, Benny ..

Threads : 158

Salty = Andy Marte

from the old Trib board...

Threads : 85
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

oh good god i hope NH jumps all over this. Doumit is as full of himself as much as the pittsburgh media is in love with him. Someone correct me if i am wrong but i dont recall seeing doumit leading the pirates in any offensive or defensive categories since he has been here (maybe near the top but he is no driving force in the lineup). I for one would love to no longer have to see him lolly-gagging down to first. On the other hand, i really have no idea how the clubhouse feels about him, and if trading him is going to **** off this team right off the bat, well then maybe he should just stick around.

Quote Originally Posted by jleisele58 View Post
    oh good god i hope NH jumps all over this. Doumit is as full of himself as much as the pittsburgh media is in love with him. Someone correct me if i am wrong but i dont recall seeing doumit leading the pirates in any offensive or defensive categories since he has been here (maybe near the top but he is no driving force in the lineup). I for one would love to no longer have to see him lolly-gagging down to first. On the other hand, i really have no idea how the clubhouse feels about him, and if trading him is going to **** off this team right off the bat, well then maybe he should just stick around.
    Trading Doumit now would be better if there's a "closeness" with him than in July but since there's been so much turnover and such I can't see there being much "closeness" in the clubhouse right now. too many new faces IMO.

The question once Doumit is gone is who is the #4 batter before Alvarez comes up?

I'd go with...

1. Mccutchen CF
    2. Iwamura 2B
    3. Milledge LF
    4. Jones RF
    5. Clement 1B
    6. LaRoche 3B
    7. Jaramillo C
    8. Cedeno

It's not exactly a heart of the lineup that creates a ton of fear BUT it's a heart of the lineup that does have power potential if it's ever seized. Milledge looked like he was getting over his injury in September 09 that potentially hurt his power, so that 14+ Homer potential he showed with the Nationals in 2008 is there and if untapped would really be nice. Clement has Jones type power ... at the Minor League level. Nobody has any idea if he can provide it at the MLB level but power is there.

i dont think clement would benefit as much batting after jones, as much as milledge would coming up before him. But i like that lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by jleisele58 View Post
    i dont think clement would benefit as much batting after jones, as much as milledge would coming up before him. But i like that lineup.
    I really don't know to be honest. Milledge and Clement hasn't really proven themselves enough especially in the power department. Milledge proved that he could certainly hit last season...

With players like Cutch and Iwamura who have above average bats and get on base at nice rates, you want a #3 hitter that can hit to drive those potential runs in and also get on base themselves. I think in a situation like this, Milledge makes the most sense as a #3 hitter especially since Jones has the proven power on the team which you want ahead of 3 guys that can get on base above average.

Good chance that Clement could be more of a #6 hitter? I don't know. Andy LaRoche could continue where he left last season being over that thumb injury and provide that 20 HR potential and rate. In which case him batting 5th makes sense .

milledge is going to get pitched to and i would imagine he is going to see a lot of strikes, hes going to come across some nice pitches to hit, if he is not cranking balls out he definitely has a ton of extra base power. Huge benefit there. Jones is going to draw a ton of walks, which leaves the #5 spot to be fought over. Its really gonna be a coin toss as to who has the hot bat. This is all assuming of course that the top of the lineup can indeed hit well and often this year. If not, any ******* can bat #5

Threads : 5
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I was intrigued by the "JR isn't a big fan" comment. I'm sure that has its roots back to the benching incident, but it would seem to me that if JR still feels that way there must be something about RD that still irks him. Remember, we were all told after the incident that everyone was ready to move on and that essentially it was "all good". I agree that yes he might have more trade value at the deadline if he's healthy, but that's a big if. I half expect him to step on a baseball that he drops either as a passed ball or another failed tag at hime and break his ankle.
    "Work fast, throw strikes, change speeds"--Ray Miller

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information