Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: In shocking news cooke not suspended

Threads : 85
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default In shocking news cooke not suspended

Cooke escapes suspension

Well at least they are trying to be consistent till next year.

Threads : 137
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: In shocking news cooke not suspended

Holy **** - I thought for sure he was gonna get tagged for 10 games.

i thought a definite 5, but i am very pleased that star power didnt determine the punishment

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I thought 2 games or so just because he's Matt Cooke. Cooke "should" be suspended but I also agree that if the league won't suspend Mike Richards for a more vicious and dirtier hit then Cooke shouldn't be suspended either.

What really worries me is that upon watching about 12 videos at NHL.com and such on the GM's talking about enacting a new rule for these types of hits I'm pretty sure that like mostly every rule they come up with... it's going to have so much "gray" area that the refs and the league are going to be given far too much ability with a judgment call...

I say this because I wanna say it was Joe Nieuwendyk and perhaps Ron Wilson also talking about how they want to eliminate "blindside" hits but almost sounded like they were alluding to not putting in rules to prevent things such as "charging" in the open ice or "open Ice Hits" as a whole. so what we'll be left with is hits like Cooke's continuing to be made since there's not a real clear cut rule against making open ice hits and it will be up to Colin Campbell and those always "awesome" refs to make a judgment call as to whether it was a "blindside" hit or not . seriously, I have a feeling this is going to be a "why can't you just fix it the first ****ing time instead of throwing on a lousy band-aid" type of call.

Just eliminate open ice hits which are pretty much useless except to a few fans that wet their pants seeing it and you eliminate the nastiest head injuries. You also eliminate players in vulnerable and unprotected areas from getting injured by a player "charging". Think about a lot of Ovechkin's hits and you will get this.

Where's BGK? I know he's got to hate on my ideas

its really going to be a no win, i was listening to "the fan" today someone kept saying how GMs want to eliminate these head shots, and they know exactly which hit they want to eliminate, but no one has a clue how to define it, they just know what it looks like. Its exactly the same thing as touching a quarterback in football. Your going to define it, and your going to get calls like brady got, if he felt a breeze near his knees or head he cried he got a flag on the play, weak ****; your also going to get no calls from plays that are obviously against the rules, like driving the quarterback into the ground. Its going to suck at first but hopefully they can get it close

Threads : 82
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I thought he was going to get busted here too. The NHL really confuses me sometimes. I think they are going to get a lot of heat for not doing anything. This game coming up against Boston should be very interesting. Look out for Lucic.

Threads : 2

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just eliminate open ice hits which are pretty much useless except to a few fans that wet their pants seeing it and you eliminate the nastiest head injuries. You also eliminate players in vulnerable and unprotected areas from getting injured by a player "charging". Think about a lot of Ovechkin's hits and you will get this.
    I would not be in favour of eliminating all open ice hits - that's a basic part of hockey. That's why body-checking is allowed. Take it out and you will end up with the proverbial "Euro***** hockey" that the idiot Cherry whines about.

That said, there's a distinct difference between clean, open ice hits, that a guy like Scott Stevens used to throw, and cheap-shotting a guy in the head. Open ice hip checks are great to see, but for some reason they do seem to be somewhat of a lost art. Maybe outlawing these head shots will help bring back more pure body-checking.

As far as enforcement is concerned, there should be clear rules in place, with very little interpretation on the ref's part. If a guy connects to the head area, whether it was with an elbow, arm, shoulder, he pays the price. Whether it was intentional or not, or because a guy lowered his head, etc., it should be irrelevant, and the responsibility of the guy doing the checking.

Threads : 206

I thought he' d get the "just because you're Cooke" suspension too! Good clean hockey hit!

Keep your head up next time Savard!

BTW: How is Savard anyway? I haven't heard and am too lazy to go searching!

Threads : 413

Although I agreed that he didn't deserve a suspension, it is unfortunate to ever see anyone hurt. It's a physical game.

The March 18 rematch will be quite interesting to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by (419)BlackNGold View Post
    I thought he' d get the "just because you're Cooke" suspension too! Good clean hockey hit!

Keep your head up next time Savard!

BTW: How is Savard anyway? I haven't heard and am too lazy to go searching!
    Grade 2 concussion, probably done for the season.
    ďItís a game of emotion, itís a game of hard work.
    Itís a game of passion, Kovalchuk, what he did the other day Ė thereís not one guy who was close to doing something. Maybe Maxime Talbot at the end with one second left. Hes about 5ft8 pfft"

Quote Originally Posted by exNCite View Post
    Although I agreed that he didn't deserve a suspension, it is unfortunate to ever see anyone hurt. It's a physical game.

The March 18 rematch will be quite interesting to watch.

I just cant see it being a "rough and tumble" game. Bruins are in a dog fight for 8th place, Coach Julien is a huge *****, and Campbell/Bettman will probably both be there to keep an eye on things, not to mention the teams will probably be warned before hand to keep things sane. I could be wrong, but we have been let down before.
    ďItís a game of emotion, itís a game of hard work.
    Itís a game of passion, Kovalchuk, what he did the other day Ė thereís not one guy who was close to doing something. Maybe Maxime Talbot at the end with one second left. Hes about 5ft8 pfft"

Quote Originally Posted by Erzo77 View Post
    I just cant see it being a "rough and tumble" game. Bruins are in a dog fight for 8th place, Coach Julien is a huge *****, and Campbell/Bettman will probably both be there to keep an eye on things, not to mention the teams will probably be warned before hand to keep things sane. I could be wrong, but we have been let down before.
    My thoughts as well. Everyone keeps talking about this rematch and that we should watch out for this "*****" or that "*****" on the Bruins team but the Bruins are SOFF. Them getting "mean" and trying to get "retribution" still makes them soffer than most teams in the league

Quote Originally Posted by Crosby Clan View Post
    I would not be in favour of eliminating all open ice hits - that's a basic part of hockey. That's why body-checking is allowed. Take it out and you will end up with the proverbial "Euro***** hockey" that the idiot Cherry whines about.

That said, there's a distinct difference between clean, open ice hits, that a guy like Scott Stevens used to throw, and cheap-shotting a guy in the head. Open ice hip checks are great to see, but for some reason they do seem to be somewhat of a lost art. Maybe outlawing these head shots will help bring back more pure body-checking.

As far as enforcement is concerned, there should be clear rules in place, with very little interpretation on the ref's part. If a guy connects to the head area, whether it was with an elbow, arm, shoulder, he pays the price. Whether it was intentional or not, or because a guy lowered his head, etc., it should be irrelevant, and the responsibility of the guy doing the checking.
    The problem is, like Jleisele said when he used the QB... what the NHL is going to do becomes "guess work". you are now allowing the joke NHL refs and Colin Campbell to "interpret" a rule that is likely going to be a band aid because it can't be defined initially. The only way to solve the problem is to eliminate the action that leads to the possibility of a head shot that results in concussions like this....

and that's eliminating the open ice hit. Head shots along the board, the NHL has done a decent job called penalties and such for, they are easier to determine.

I just would rather see Nothing rather than see something where the refs and the league have to make a determination. That's when *******s like Ovechkin walk away with nothing and your Matt Cooke's lose half their salary. That ****es me off.

Now, I'm all in favor of hitting and physical play but I've rarely seen an Open Ice hit that looks clean or it's intent isn't to **** someone up That's nice and fine but if the league wants to eliminate head shots it has to eliminate the action that leads to it, not create some half assed rule that is nothing but "interpretation". Like I said, I don't trust the league

Threads : 47

I am shocked that he didn't get suspended and I think he should have been. He was suspened earlier this year for 2 games for a similiar hit.

Threads : 34
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

"I know Matt Cooke is a repeat offender, he's been suspended twice in the last year," Campbell said, according to TSN of Canada. "I can't suspend Matt Cooke for being a repeat offender, I have to find a reason. Right now our rules say that shoulders to head are legal. Matt Cooke did not jump, and did not do anything that we found illegal in his actions even though again you don't like what happened," added Campbell.
    Can I do my nana na na naaaa na dance now?

haha

The only player in the NHL more overpaid than MAF is Jordan Staal

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information