Thread: Pirates believe in outfielder Jones' potential

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Pirates believe in outfielder Jones' potential

Pirates believe in outfielder Jones' potential
    By Karen Price, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Friday, March 12, 2010

Outfielder Brandon Jones got his first at-bats of the Grapefruit League season on Monday, popping out twice and grounding into a double-play.

Perhaps it wasn't the most auspicious start, but for a guy eager for a fresh start with a new team, it was just good to get to the plate.

"I was really anxious to swing the bat," said Jones, the 26-year-old outfielder the Pirates claimed off waivers from the Atlanta Braves on Jan. 19. "I'd probably seen two live pitches since I've been here. Basically, I was just trying to see some pitches and get comfortable at the plate and try not to strike out."

In 2008, Jones was coming off a promising year in the minors as the Player of the Year for Double-A Mississippi. He got promoted to Triple-A Richmond in July and made his major-league debut Sept. 19.

But 2008 wasn't what he was hoping for, and 2009 was even less so, playing just five games with the Braves after 41 the year before. The more he tried, the less it seemed to work, especially at the plate.

"I was putting a lot of pressure on myself (with Atlanta)," said Jones, who was slowed earlier in spring training by a sore knee after having surgery in September. "There was a lot of outfield depth, and it was kind of taking away from my game."

Enter the Pirates, who despite their own depth in the outfield recognized Jones as a guy they still believe has potential.

"If he gets back to where he was a couple years ago, he fits very well as an every-day major-league outfielder," general manager Neal Huntington said. "This year, he's kind of on the outside looking in. He probably has to go to Triple-A and one, get healthy, and two, see if there are some things we can do with him that can help him perform."

In 2007, Jones batted .295 with 33 doubles, 19 home runs and 100 RBI in 138 combined games between Mississippi and Richmond. He led Atlanta minor-leaguers in RBI and was second in hits and runs.

In 51 career games at the big-league level, he has a .257 batting average with 11 doubles, one triple, one home run and 22 RBI.

Jones, a left-handed batter, said he was relieved to be picked up by the Pirates, even if he isn't sure exactly where he fits in with the club.

"All I can do is play," said Jones, who has an option left on his contract this year. "I'm going to try to become the best player I can, and whatever happens, happens."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_671237.html
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Pirates believe in outfielder Jones' potential

If the guy get's it going again, that would be great. You never have too much young talent with pop in his bat.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm with ya Steel. Can never have enough good depth. you never know when you are going to deal with an injury in this sport and you want to make sure you are ready... Jones was a pretty highly regarded prospect at one time I wanna say.

Threads : 197

The Pirates interest in Brandon Jones goes back to the old Jason Bay talks. Apparently they were very close to doing Bay for Brandon Jones, Brent Lillibridge, Jeff Locke, and another player. Baseball America had him ranked 70th in the league at the time.

Looking back at those Jason Bay rumors that came up it doesn't seem anyone really offered a particularly good package for him that could actually be confirmed.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by jnn123 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Pirates interest in Brandon Jones goes back to the old Jason Bay talks. Apparently they were very close to doing Bay for Brandon Jones, Brent Lillibridge, Jeff Locke, and another player. Baseball America had him ranked 70th in the league at the time.

Looking back at those Jason Bay rumors that came up it doesn't seem anyone really offered a particularly good package for him that could actually be confirmed.
    What was the 3 way deal with the Marlins and Red Sox? I want to say that was an "alright" package. Discussions with the Rays really went nowhere since every time it came out in the media that "x" player was going to the Pirates, the Rays came back and stated that he's no on the list. I swear it got to the point where most of the Rays Top 10 prospects weren't "tradeable".

I mention the marlins deal cause that one got sidelined due to the Marlins wanting some cash and the Red Sox not wanting to pony it up so they withdrew from their talks

Threads : 197

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    What was the 3 way deal with the Marlins and Red Sox? I want to say that was an "alright" package. Discussions with the Rays really went nowhere since every time it came out in the media that "x" player was going to the Pirates, the Rays came back and stated that he's no on the list. I swear it got to the point where most of the Rays Top 10 prospects weren't "tradeable".

I mention the marlins deal cause that one got sidelined due to the Marlins wanting some cash and the Red Sox not wanting to pony it up so they withdrew from their talks
    Nobody ever really had a solid list on that Marlins deal. The reports were all so different, I'm not sure how close that ever came to going through. The first report had the Pirates getting Mike Stanton, but everyone in the world denied that part except the original reporter. At different points Grabow was involved, and even Ronny Paulino's name ended up in there, but all that ever really got reported was that the Pirates would get "Jeremy Hermida and prospects".

Threads : 2

Wasn't there a cliff lee/jason bay deal on the table at one point, but we wanted to keep bay and have him prove he was healthy and get more? In retrospect, that would have worked out well (assuming Lee's arm doesn't fall off as soon as he puts on the Pirates uniform)

Threads : 691

Quote Originally Posted by PE1 View Post
    Wasn't there a cliff lee/jason bay deal on the table at one point, but we wanted to keep bay and have him prove he was healthy and get more? In retrospect, that would have worked out well (assuming Lee's arm doesn't fall off as soon as he puts on the Pirates uniform)
    Yes, I'm thinking it was Bay and Paulino for Lee,Kelly Shoppach and Franklin Gutierrez
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

Threads : 9
    Sports Logo Sports Logo

In the end though, even if we had gotten Lee, he would have been traded for marginal prospects. I think that based on the fact that he has been traded for marginal prospects twice in the past year. For some reason, he doesn't get the type of prospects a prospect of his caliber would net.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information