Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skipperron

Threads : 215

Default Skipperron

I hope he comes around by spring training.

Threads : 48
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Skipperron

Unlikely.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Me too as well. I sent him an invite but he looked like he had pretty much had it with the Pirates. It was kind of strange, I never thought guys like Skipper or Ranrod would eventually wear out but they did.

Heck, I think I might have personally ****ed Skipper off. He was completely ****ed about the Nate trade which I pretty much was defending the FO since I never felt Nate was more than an average bat with below average defensive range. Then I remember Skipper making a comment about Milledge. He was super ****ed about us bringing in Milledge despite Skipper not liking Morgan. That seemed to have been the last straw for Skipper. I didn't see him around after that.

I'll throw out invites to him every once in a while to try and get him on board. I miss Skipper's posts, rants and GDT's (which he had admitted with injuries were tough for him to do last year)

Maybe another year of Buccos futility plus his back problems caused him to quit??Certainly can't blame him.

Quote Originally Posted by Les View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Maybe another year of Buccos futility plus his back problems caused him to quit??Certainly can't blame him.
    Quite possibly. Some winning and a visible light at the end of the tunnel will bring guys like Skipper and others back, without a doubt.

Threads : 277

I identify with Skip's frustrration and I am afraid that the only light at the end of the Buuccos tunnel--for the next two years--will be a train!!

Quote Originally Posted by DCBILL View Post
    I identify with Skip's frustrration and I am afraid that the only light at the end of the Buuccos tunnel--for the next two years--will be a train!!
    I'm going to go ahead and say it now and when Doyle makes his way over here I'm sure he'll trump me but....

Not only will the Pirates have a better record next season than they had this season, they will have their best record since 1992 at least equaling the 1997 squad.

I really like the makeup of the team. I like it's youth. I like the complete lack of band aids. I think the starting rotation of Duke, Maholm, Ohlendorf and Morton is average to above average and that someone like Daniel Mccutcehn can be a decent enough option as a #5 starter. I think a healthier bullpen if Capps can return to form with Meek, Chavez, Hanrahan, Kartsens, Hart, Dumatrait (free agent lefty) can be pretty effective...... but most importantly, I think for the first time since Neal Huntington came in, this roster is going to stay fairly intact the entire season. There won't be this mass overhaul at the trade deadline that flattens the Pirates in August and/or September. There won't be the whole "I don't know who the **** the guy is in the locker next to me". Good teams win because they are a "team" first. They rely on each other, they know each other, they grow with each other. Next year I think is going to be the start of that.

Barring injuries of course, the 2010 Pirates honestly have a chance to surprise. I'm not saying they will contend for the division or Wildcard. No chance in hell outside of miracles but I think this is one of the more intriguing and interesting lineups going into a season that I can remember in recent years. I can't think of a gaping hole somewhere. In years past when we had some good hitting teams, the starting rotations were butt ****ing ugly or vice versa. I thnk those gaps have been closed. Sure we have some holes and questions marks, but teams that are gong to struggle to hit .500 are supposed to have those. I just don't see the night and days with this team going into next season.

Man, the Kool-ad must be strong

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    I'm going to go ahead and say it now and when Doyle makes his way over here I'm sure he'll trump me but....

Not only will the Pirates have a better record next season than they had this season, they will have their best record since 1992 at least equaling the 1997 squad.

I really like the makeup of the team. I like it's youth. I like the complete lack of band aids. I think the starting rotation of Duke, Maholm, Ohlendorf and Morton is average to above average and that someone like Daniel Mccutcehn can be a decent enough option as a #5 starter. I think a healthier bullpen if Capps can return to form with Meek, Chavez, Hanrahan, Kartsens, Hart, Dumatrait (free agent lefty) can be pretty effective...... but most importantly, I think for the first time since Neal Huntington came in, this roster is going to stay fairly intact the entire season. There won't be this mass overhaul at the trade deadline that flattens the Pirates in August and/or September. There won't be the whole "I don't know who the **** the guy is in the locker next to me". Good teams win because they are a "team" first. They rely on each other, they know each other, they grow with each other. Next year I think is going to be the start of that.

Barring injuries of course, the 2010 Pirates honestly have a chance to surprise. I'm not saying they will contend for the division or Wildcard. No chance in hell outside of miracles but I think this is one of the more intriguing and interesting lineups going into a season that I can remember in recent years. I can't think of a gaping hole somewhere. In years past when we had some good hitting teams, the starting rotations were butt ****ing ugly or vice versa. I thnk those gaps have been closed. Sure we have some holes and questions marks, but teams that are gong to struggle to hit .500 are supposed to have those. I just don't see the night and days with this team going into next season.

Great assessment,Kip.I actually agree with what you are saying here and look for quite an improvement out of this team.

Threads : 5

I'm liking the Kool-Aid also, Kip. Nice way to put the Pirates potential into perspective.

By the way, do you have anymore Kool-Aid? I'm almost out and need some for the offseason.

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

This certainly IMO, a good time to be a Bucco fan. While it has been painfull getting to this point, things seem to be stabilizing now. It is now time to start building a roster. If Laroche moves to 2nd, that would shore up that spot defensively and improve the offensive numbers from that position as well. It would clear the way for Alvarez to take over at third. I wouldn't mind at all, seeing an infield of Alvarez, Cedeno, LaRoche and Jones and an outfield of Millege, McCutchen and Tabata. Combine that with a rotation of Ohlendorf, Maholm, Duke, Morton and McCutchen and you are starting to see a pretty decent line-up. Who knows who will be added during free agency, my gut feeling says there will be a surprise(good) signing.
    This spring training is going to be a good one.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Threads : 215

Give me a drink!

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

There is plenty to go around 'Bones
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Location : Pirates fan trapped 11 CTA stops north of Wrigley Field
    Threads : 72

If he ever does make it here, he still owes me a t-shirt from the contest on the Forum. Bastard.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelreign View Post
    This certainly IMO, a good time to be a Bucco fan. While it has been painfull getting to this point, things seem to be stabilizing now. It is now time to start building a roster. If Laroche moves to 2nd, that would shore up that spot defensively and improve the offensive numbers from that position as well. It would clear the way for Alvarez to take over at third. I wouldn't mind at all, seeing an infield of Alvarez, Cedeno, LaRoche and Jones and an outfield of Millege, McCutchen and Tabata. Combine that with a rotation of Ohlendorf, Maholm, Duke, Morton and McCutchen and you are starting to see a pretty decent line-up. Who knows who will be added during free agency, my gut feeling says there will be a surprise(good) signing.
    This spring training is going to be a good one.
    You're gonna have to wait a little while for that line up.... but... it could be the lineup that finishes the 2010 season and that's a pretty exciting sign.

I'm not really seeing many moves this season at the trade deadline. Ryan Doumit is it if he's not moved this offseason. Duke and Maholm have been rumored but I'm not seeing them go anywhere. The only good SP in AAA is Lincoln and I'm not seeing him making the move to the MLB roster barring an injury until September call ups.

For the first time in I don't know how long, perhaps the 80's... not only should this roster be stable from beginning to end with minimal moves at the deadline and offseason but more importantly we should be pulling up a couple of our best prospects in Alvarez and Tabata by seasons end. Can anyone remember the last time this happened?

That's how it should be. It's been a ***** getting to that point but it's the point that we should have always been trying to get to and wasn't part of Bonifay and Littlefield's plans for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by cocktailsfor2 View Post
    If he ever does make it here, he still owes me a t-shirt from the contest on the Forum. Bastard.
    What contest was that? I must've forgotten it or not taken part in it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information