Thread: With the 18th Pick in the 2010 NFL Draft the Pittsburgh Steelers Select….

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default With the 18th Pick in the 2010 NFL Draft the Pittsburgh Steelers Select….

With the 18th Pick in the 2010 NFL Draft the Pittsburgh Steelers Select….

Bryan Bulaga, OT, from Iowa.

Considering how well the Rooney family and General Manager Kevin Colbert have drafted in the last decade, I have the unenviable task of trying to imitate them in this mock draft process. The Pittsburgh franchise has done an outstanding job of evaluating talent and needs and have hit some serious home runs through the draft, specifically the first round. See Ben Roethlisberger, Troy Polamalu, Casey Hampton etc.

Well, I weighed the needs of the Steelers plus the possibility of going with the best available player and I thought Bryan Bulaga, OT, from Iowa was the best fit here.

Besides, in this mock draft four offensive lineman have already been picked and I wanted to go with the run and not have to seek out second-tier offensive linemen later in the draft.

In my opinion,going into the draft, the Steelers needed to upgrade both the offensive line and the secondary. In a recent post, I thought the Steelers would wait until later rounds to address the offensive line. However, I reconsidered that idea and realized that the Steelers have not properly addressed the line ever since Alan Faneca left.

Bulaga just seems like a natural fit. At 6-6 and 313 pounds, he is a mountain of a man. Roethlisberger has taken a beating over the years and you have to protect the franchise quarterback when you have that much invested in him. Combine both Bulaga’s size and athleticism and you got the makings of a future pro-bowler. Heck, even his college colors will remain the same. When I see Bulaga in photos, it seems I’m already seeing him in the Steeler black and gold. He also possesses a nasty streak that will endear him to the Terrible Towel faithful.

The Steelers have not been the same since they lost Alan Faneca, at least in the trenches. Throw in the fact that Willie Colon is a free agent, and his future with the team cloudy at best, and this pick makes the most sense.

Bulaga had a great career at Iowa. In 2009 he was named the Big Ten Conference Offensive Lineman of the year and first team all-American by Sporting News Magazine. After a fine showing in the Orange Bowl while limiting Georgia Tech’s Derrick Morgan (also a projected first round draft pick) to three tackles, Bulaga declared early for the NFL draft. Bulaga’s stock is at its peak and there was nothing left to be done at Iowa.

The Steelers must reestablish the running game and Bulaga’s game is well suited for the run game. Rashard Mendenhall will love running being Bulaga’s big frame. His big long arms and excellent footwork is something you cannot teach. So you can say Bulaga is a natural.

Under the guidance of Kirk Ferentz at Iowa, Bulaga has learned under one the best teachers though. Iowa’s program has been a hotbed for talented offensive lineman Bulaga has a great work ethic and has shown great determination on the field. And under the watchful eyes of new Steeler Offensive Line Coach Sean Kugler, Bulaga will be receptive and should be ready to make an immediate impact.

The only possible downside to drafting Bulaga is that he relies too much on his size and athleticism and not too much on technique. Bulaga also has shown to being susceptible to physical pass-rushers.

Also, while at Iowa he suffered from a thyroid condition that had him miss three games last year. But that was early in the season and he seems healthy and ready to contribute to the black and gold of the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Hey, even draft guru Mel Kiper Jr.believes the Steelers should go with Bulaga. We all know you can’t disagree with ‘Draft Guru’ Mel Kiper!

http://steelersmill.com/2010/02/24/w...eelers-select/
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 40

Default Re: With the 18th Pick in the 2010 NFL Draft the Pittsburgh Steelers Select….

Well if they do, he won't be wearing a uniform too much different than his college one!

Threads : 277

Default Re: With the 18th Pick in the 2010 NFL Draft the Pittsburgh Steelers Select….

OG/OT Mike Iupati, unless they trade up for ILB Rolando McClain.

Quote Originally Posted by DCBILL View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    OG/OT Mike Iupati, unless they trade up for ILB Rolando McClain.
    ... I like Iupati as well, but I guess we'll see who is available at #18 as well as what sort of philosophy we go with in the draft... To be honest, I'm sorta scared as to what route they go... Time will tell come late April.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 82

I hate to even discuss this one. The most debated subject in recent Steelers history. Anyway I want defense first day if there are good prospects available. I felt like they did alright as a line, I am anxious to see them develop another year. Then they have Legursky and a couple new guys plus you know they will draft a guy somewhere. I am just not sure about spending all the money on trying to keep Ben from getting sacked. For one he might not even be here and for two I think you could have the 5 best guys in the league and he will still get sacked, that is his game. I am telling you if we do lose Ben and someone else is in there, you will watch the sack numbers decrease, you will also see the yardage thrown decrease.

Threads : 135
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by DCBILL View Post
    OG/OT Mike Iupati, unless they trade up for [HIGH-LIGHT]ILB Rolando McClain[/HIGH-LIGHT].
    Indeed.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Threads : 122

Not going to try and guesstimate at this point who it will be at 18, but if they were to.....

Trade up a few spots = CB Haden
    Trade down to early/mid 20's = DE/OLB/ILB? Brandon Graham

Threads : 40

Quote Originally Posted by BigBen2112 View Post
    Indeed.
    Forget linebacker now that Foote is there to give them a hand. CB or Oline is where we are going.

Quote Originally Posted by rbilak View Post
    CB or Oline is where we are going.
    Hopefully O-line.... It takes time/years to develop a quality line, so there is no better time than the present to get the quality players needed to rebuild ours... It's needed... Our O-line had been an emphasis of pride in years past. It's time to get back there again, but it will take time IMO.

Threads : 135
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by rbilak View Post
    Forget linebacker now that Foote is there to give them a hand. CB or Oline is where we are going.
    That now appears to be the case...in terms of ILB...not convinced that's whats best...but its whats happened.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Threads : 122

anyone else think Brandon Graham would have the ability to play inside or outside LB in the 3-4?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information