Thread: Steelers Shouldn't Ignore OL in 2010 Draft

Threads : 277

Default Steelers Shouldn't Ignore OL in 2010 Draft

OG/OT Mike Iupati or OT Bruce Campbell should be high in Steelers list at #18.

While I would love Earl Thomas S/CB, because he could likely start at CB while learning the S position behind Clark and Troy, I think you need some quality upfront.

Ideally, for me, it would be to draft and start Iupati at RG, or draft Campbell, move Max to RT, instead of Colon, and move the latter inside to RG (or move him all the way to Center).

(If Iupati is the playing equivalent to Alan Faneca, would more people support the Steelers takig him at #18?)

Threads : 691

Default Re: Steelers Shouldn't Ignore OL in 2010 Draft

18. Pittsburgh
    Maurkice Pouncey, C, Florida

No franchise has a more storied history at the center position than the Steelers, and they could add another great one to the mix with the selection of Pouncey, who is much better suited to handle Shaun Rogers(notes) and Haloti Ngata(notes) twice a year than Justin Hartwig(notes) ever was.

Maurkice Pouncey, C, Florida

The Steelers may or may not be looking for a franchise quarterback sooner than later, but one thing’s for sure – if the guy under center isn’t Ben Roethlisberger(notes), Pittsburgh’s front office will have to stop assuming that their QB can fight off five different pass rushers on every play. Pouncey is tough enough to deal with all the 3-4 nose tackles he’ll face in his new division and elsewhere.
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

IMO, the line definitely needs to be addressed... It's not something that can be "thrown together", but needs to be developed over time... It won't happen overnight, so there is no better time than the present.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 135
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If we're going to draft OL then we should trade down into the mid-to-late twenties.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

I'm for a trade down to get some other team's #2 pick.

If that occurs, since all of the top OTs and Iupati will be gone, I'd take LB Weatherspoon C/G Pouncey, or DE Odrick.

Quote Originally Posted by DCBILL View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm for a trade down to get some other team's #2 pick.

If that occurs, since all of the top OTs and Iupati will be gone, I'd take LB Weatherspoon C/G Pouncey, or DE Odrick.
    I like one, maybe two of those...dont love Weatherspoon...Pouncey is ok...and Odrick would be so-so I guess.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Threads : 29

Pouncey is supposedly on their "short list" at #18. They certainly need an upgrade at C and RG. It wouldn't be "sexy" but I'd have no problem with it.

Saw this on another board:

Said recently by Florida Gators offensive coordinator Steve Addazio about Maurkice Pouncey:

"He is truly one tough dude. He is a 10 on the toughness scale. He's really smart, he understands the game - fronts, blitzes, coverages. He will decleat a guy and look for another guy. He literally plays every down like it's his last. He can adjust all the protections and be a punishing run blocker."

I love Iupati at #18, but will happily take Pouncey--if he comes via Bennie's "trade down"--
    and if we get some other team's Third (or Second), I just would hope OG/OT John Jerry is there when we pick.

(Pouncey, Jerry, CB Patrick Robinson, and OLB Eric Norwood, would be a nice three round haul.)

I will be pretty unsatisfied if the Steelers select a G/C at pick 18. People act like we do not have any players that can fill those roles and I think that's idiotic. Furthermore, we have not even seen some of those players play: Urbik. And the one we have seen, Ramon Foster, played pretty **** well--so well in fact that I think he played like the best OG on our team last season. Does the C position need upgrading? Yes. But at pick 18? No. Where did Nick Mangold, arguably the best center in the NFL, go? Not #18.

Pouncey is a good player, dont get me wrong, and surely the best C in this draft and possibly in the last two/three drafts. However, the value of picking him at #18 versus picking Matt Tennant in the 2nd or 3rd round? Doesn't make it worth it realistically.

The Steelers will do well to sit back...wait and see who falls...and then take BPA, likely and hopefully a defensive player, with their pick at #18.
    Hidden Content

Threads : 215

If you forget about Legursky, he will come back to haunt you while starring for the Bengals, Browns or Ravens!........Draft defense and wide outs!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information