Thread: One on one with Ben Roethlisberger

sjdrewk

Default One on one with Ben Roethlisberger

PITTSBURGH (KDKA) ―

Click to enlarge
    1 of 1
    Ben Roethlisberger grew up idolizing John Elway, No. 7 of the Denver Broncos, so when he got the chance to wear a number, it was going to be No. 7.
    KDKA
    Related Slideshows

Pittsburgh Steelers
    NFL
    Ben Roethlisberger grew up idolizing John Elway, No. 7 of the Denver Broncos, so when he got the chance to wear a number, it was going to be No. 7.

After five years in the NFL, Roethlisberger has Elway numbers which have upped his national profile even more.

He's been just about everywhere lately, including a stint as guest host for WWE "Raw" and appearing on a segment on the "Jay Leno Show."

He's also been on his game, first in the NFL in completion percentage and second in total yards.

"In order to be competitive and to win you have to keep up with the times, you have to be able to throw the ball and that's why we need to become more balanced as an offense," Roethlisberger said. "Because teams are putting up big yards, big numbers, offensively you have to keep up with those other teams or you're going to lose the game."

Roethlisberger hasn't lost much since he came to the NFL which makes him one of the most popular players in the league.

There is a downside to that, however.

"Not having any not being able to do things that you want to do that a normal person can do," he said. "Being recognized everywhere you go. People always say that, 'It's not that bad,' - they don't really understand what it's like and so that's the tough part just being under the microscope."

"I don't Twitter. My life's already [like] living under the microscope. What's the point I don't understand people that want to complain about that and then they go Twitter and put their life out there even more it doesn't make sense," he added.

While Roethlisberger's jersey is one of the top sellers in the league, KDKA's Bob Pompeani wanted to find out which of the young guns in the NFL Big Ben likes the most.

"Matt Ryan. I think he's a really good quarterback. He's a great kid. I like a guy that's humble, [that justs] wants to do the job and do it as best he can and respects the guys that have come before him and that's Matt Ryan. I think he's a phenomenal player," Roethlisberger explained.

Pompeani: "Who is worth the price of admission to you - you'd want to go out and see?"

Roethlisberger: "For a quarterback, I'd probably want to go see Drew Brees or Tom Brady. But just to watch somebody, probably Troy [Polamalu]. Surprising for an offensive guy to pick a defensive player but just the things he does [are] amazing."

Next week, the Steelers will face off against Brett Favre and the Minnesota Vikings.

Is Ben surprised by Favre's play so far this season?

"No. I mean, yes he's up there, he just turned 40 but he feels he can do it and he's obviously doing it at a high level, he's been doing it for a long time at a high level one of the best that's ever played this game and if he feels he still has it then more power to him," he said.

Pompeani: "Can Ben Roethlisberger find himself at age 40 still playing football?"

Roethlisberger: "I guess I if I can do it at the level he's doing it? Yeah. Hopefully I don't do all the retirement, come back, all that stuff either I'm playing or I'm not. And when it's time to hang it up, I think only you know."

If he is to continue until he's 40 like Favre, Roethlisberger says the rules to protect the quarterback have to be enforced despite what defensive people think.

"I think the reason that they call it is because they want people to watch I mean, who's going to watch it? Does anybody know [who] the backup quarterback for Indianapolis is? The Patriots? No one knows, but they know and they want to see Tom Brady, they want to see Peyton Manning, they want to see Drew Brees. So I think that's part of the reason they do it.

"And you also understand we're really unprotected back there. We're looking down the field, we're not seeing those guys coming into our legs, not seeing those guys come up to our heads and if you call it defenseless just like you hit a defenseless receiver we're basically defenseless most of the time we're in the pocket," he said.

One of the reasons Roethlisberger doesn't get those calls like Brady or Manning is because of his ability to keep the play alive.

It's that improvisational skill that sets him apart.
    ( MMIX, CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved.)

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: One on one with Ben Roethlisberger

He's definitely having an exceptional year... I was sorta wondering how the whole legal issue would effect him, but he's been playing great, out making appearances at events, and guested several tv shows.... Good for him!

...... "Now just keep it going, Ben...."
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

• Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information