Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lolley: Moving forward

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Lolley: Moving forward

Wednesday, March 17, 2010
    Moving forward

With the Steelers apparently done with their flurry of free agent signings and things dying down in the Ben Roethlisberger saga - it has been nearly two weeks and no charges have been filed - it's time to start thinking more seriously about the draft.

The Steelers met with a number of rookies at the combine and will have more visiting Pittsburgh in the coming weeks. Normally, their draft picks come from the group of players they've checked out the most - though there have been exceptions to that rule over the years.

Here are the players with first-round or high second-round grades who they've already spoken to or will bring into Pittsburgh soon. I'm sure there are more, but these are the guys we know about so far:

Golden Tate, WR, Notre Dame
    Patrick Robinson, CB, Florida State
    Sean Weatherspoon, LB, Missouri
    Rolando McClain, ILb, Alabama
    Earl Thomas, FS/CB, Texas
    Mike Iupati, G, Idaho

Of those players, the last four would make the most sense to me.

With the signing of Antwaan Randle El, the Steelers really don't have room or the need for Tate, though I think he's one of the best offensive playmakers in this draft.

Robinson, to me, is more of a low-first, second-round pick. I watched him play a couple of times last season and just wasn't that impressed with him.

Weatherspoon could be added as the future replacement for James Farrior and if he were eventually paired with Lawrence Timmons, would perhaps give the Steelers more speed at ILB than they've ever had. But the signing of Larry Foote would make both he and McClain luxuries.

McClain has been viewed as a possible top-10 pick, but his admission to having Crohn's disease at Alabama's pro day recently, could cause his stock to drop. Fatigue, weight loss and abdominal pain are just a few of the symptoms of the disease and none are anything you want a player to suffer through during a grueling 6-month long season.

McClain would provide value at pick 18 to be sure, but like Weatherspoon, he would be something of a luxury item on this roster at this point.

That brings me to the last two guys who the Steelers have or will talk to.

Thomas played free safety for Texas and picked off eight passes last season. But he has the speed to line up at cornerback. In fact, he's actually faster than the player considered the top CB prospect in this draft, Florida's Joe Hayden.

The only knock on Thomas is his height. He's 5-10. Then again, so is Troy Polamalu.

Thomas would fill a definite need for the Steelers, even with the signing of Ryan Clark and Will Allen, particularly if he could be used immediately as a CB.

He would give the Steelers an immediate upgrade in terms of ball skills, something that is seriously lacking in the current group - Polamalu aside.

As for Iupati, frequent readers of this blog will remember that prior to the Senior Bowl, I touted the big man as a player to watch at the Senior Bowl as a possible first-round pick for the Steelers.

Nothing has changed in that regard. He's an excellent run blocker and though his pass blocking needs some work, that is often the case with kids coming out of college. His size and demeanor cannot be overlooked.

For the Steelers, a first-day pick remember, the draft is three days long this year - of Iupati or Thomas would be outstanding.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sidelines/
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 1632
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Lolley: Moving forward

Mike Iupati, G, Idaho

please!

Threads : 49

I agree with the Iupati pick. The Steelers wouldn't have to trade up for him. I think that wouldn't be the case with Thomas or McClain, two other guys I'd like to see in Steeler uniforms.

If that's the first pick, I'd like to see LB and S with the next two picks. Please!

Threads : 48

We do not need an OL with the 1st pick.

Rolondo McClain or Weatherspoon would and should be the pick.

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Les View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We do not need an OL with the 1st pick.

Rolondo McClain or Weatherspoon would and should be the pick.
    I disagree, but if I was so smart, I'd be in the War Room on draft day instead of the couch...

... I still think we need to bolster the OL with whatever means possible... Not necessarily for THIS season, but the ones down the road... It will undoubtably be a building process, and the time to start it is now IMO.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 48

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    I disagree, but if I was so smart, I'd be in the War Room on draft day instead of the couch...

... I still think we need to bolster the OL with whatever means possible... Not necessarily for THIS season, but the ones down the road... It will undoubtably be a building process, and the time to start it is now IMO.
    There is already way too much money invested in the OL.You don't want to waste more on the OL with a QB that likes to play backyard football.We need immediate help at ILB...........specifically to replace Grandpa Farrior.

Threads : 407

I'd like to see us get a good center...for the long term...something we have been missing for too quite some time.

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I believe Legursky is the center of the future.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Threads : 87
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Steelreign View Post
    ???

Surely you jest.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by JerryGlanville View Post
    I agree with the Iupati pick. The Steelers wouldn't have to trade up for him. I think that wouldn't be the case with Thomas or McClain, two other guys I'd like to see in Steeler uniforms.

If that's the first pick, I'd like to see LB and S with the next two picks. Please!
    Me too.. INot getting Mcclain

I would like it to be the replacement for Farrior or DL depth and CB... but not every draft provides those solutions
    Last edited by Kipper; Mar-18-2010 at 02:07 PM.

Threads : 6

I would love the pick Maurkice Pouncey C Univ. of Florida

Although if this is the driection they decide to go, I would trade down a few spots and get some extra picks.

Production 1 "2007: Appeared in all 13 games as a true freshman, including 12 starts at right guard or center. 2008: Started all 14 games at center. 2009: Started all 14 games at center; Unanimous first- team All-SEC, second-team AP All-America, 2009 Rimington Award winner as the nation's top center."
    Height-Weight-Speed 2 Possesses good height and bulk for any of the three interior OL positions. Speed and athleticism are adequate for size.
    Durability 3 Underwent surgery in May 2009 to repair a torn labrum but has not missed game action due to injury during his career.
    Intangibles 3 Three-year starter and possesses the versatility to line up at both center and guard at the next level.
    Offensive Center specific Traits
    Awareness 2 Experienced and displays a thorough understanding of blocking concepts. Shows good discipline to stay at home and maintain strong position against defensive line movement. Quickly seeks out and covers up linebackers when combo blocking to the second level. Awareness in blitz pick up is good but can be step late reacting on occasion.
    Toughness 3 Displays good fight when engaged and works to the whistle. Would like to see more of a mean streak and for him to finish stronger when given the opportunity.
    Pass Protection 2 Light on feet and does a good job of shuffling and mirroring to stay in front of rushers. Can be rocked back initially by more powerful bull-rushers but displays ability to sink hips and regain leverage. Shows a strong compact punch and displays good hand placement. Can be overaggressive at times and needs to do a better job of staying patient and sitting back in set. Only time observed getting into trouble in pass pro is when he lunges.
    Run Blocking 2 Good quickness snapping the ball and getting out of stance. Gains strong initial position and displays proper hat placement with run fits. Shows good overall balance and is rarely seen on the ground. Power-base is good but not elite and can give ground against bigger NT's as seen on film working against Tennessee DT Dan Williams. Maintains low pad level and can generate good leverage once engaged. Moves well down the line and can reach three-technique when zone blocking. Displays good timing coming of combo blocks and makes smooth transition climbing to the second level.

Threads : 6

Definitely take this guy at 18.

Threads : 135

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    Me too.. INot getting Mcclain

I would like it to be the replacement for Farrior or DL depth and CB... but not every draft provides those solutions
    I dont know about the McClain thing...things have come out about Crohn's Disease etc that could put us in a prime position to get him...furthermore, he may be a player--depending on the physical evaluation of the team--that is WORTH trading up for.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Threads : 215

Quote Originally Posted by Steelreign View Post
    Center or guard!

Threads : 1632

Crohn's disease is a very bad illness and there is no cure. A friend of mine has that. I would NOT draft any player with that issue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information