Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Another Moskos article

      
  1. #1
    PittFaninVa's Avatar
    Status : PittFaninVa is offline
    Rank : All-Star
    Join Date : Oct 28, 2009
    Posts : 2,433
    Threads : 94
    Last Online : Jun-07-2011 @ 10:03 PM

    Default Another Moskos article

    BRADENTON, Fla. – Daniel Moskos isn’t sure if he’ll be a starter or reliever, and the Pirates apparently aren’t sure, either, so there’s a chance the Bucs’ No. 1 pick in the 2007 draft could be back in an Altoona Curve uniform this season.

    “I go into spring training every year not knowing what I’m going to be doing,” Moskos was saying recently at McKechnie Field. “But, I’ll do whatever they tell me to do.”

    Right now, it looks like Moskos, who posted an 11-10 record in 25 starts at Altoona last season, will be in the bullpen.

    “We’re trying to maximize his value,” Kyle Stark, the Pirates director of player personnel, said, “and part of that is evaluating whether he fits in as an inning-eating starter or if his stuff plays out of the bullpen, meaning he’d come in and pitch later.”

    Moskos, a 23-year-old southpaw from Greenville, SC, has appeared in only one Grapefruit League game this spring and was touched up for three runs in just one inning by the Phillies.

    Nonetheless, Moskos is not discouraged.

    “It’s going well,” he said of camp. “It’s good to be around this environment and get to be around people who have been in the big leagues.

    “I’m just trying to soak up information by asking questions. I’m getting good information just by being around them.”

    While pitching at Clemson University, Moskos compiled a 3.25 ERA in 81 appearances, but only 10 were starts. He finished with 16 saves – fourth best in school history.

    Moskos made 11 relief appearances – no starts -- for the short-season State College Spikes in 2007. He was promoted to high Class A Lynchburg in 2008 where he compiled a 7-7 record and 5.95 ERA, appearing in 20 games as a starter and nine as a reliever.

    His 11-10 record and 3.74 ERA in 2009 at Altoona ranked sixth among Pirate farmhands in ERA and tied for third in wins. He also ranked third in wins in the Eastern League.

    “I learned a lot (at Altoona),” Moskos said. “It was a big step up in competition, and I got my feet wet.

    “I struggled at first, but I learned how to pitch at that level and proved to myself I could compete at that level and move up to the next level.”

    Moskos credits a lot of his improvement a year ago to pitching coach Dean Treanor, who will be working at Indianapolis this season.

    “I love working with Dean,” Moskios said. “He’s awesome. He’s hands on.

    “He’s always willing to work and is trying to make you better. That’s a great quality to have in a pitching coach.”

    If Moskos is in the bullpen, he’ll take it in stride, he said.

    “You’ve got to be a little more in the moment when you’re coming out of the bullpen, and it’s all about longevity as a starter,” he said. “The mindset will change once I find out what I’m going to be doing, and we’ll cross that road when I come to it.”

    He’ll also accept his assignment, whether it’s Indianapolis or Altoona.

    “It’s not where I’m at in April,” he said. “It’s where I am in July that will be important.”

    ************************************************** **********************


    ****....Moskos possibly starting at AA. That's a pick that keeps hauting Pirate fans.

    My guess if he goes to AA it will be as a starter. If he goes to Indy he will be in the pen.

  2. #2
    just_ridin's Avatar
    Status : just_ridin is offline
    Rank : Bench Warmer
    Join Date : Mar 4, 2010
    Location : Chicago
    Posts : 439
    Threads : 18
    Last Online : Oct-10-2013 @ 12:11 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Another Moskos article

    I don't care what y'all think...he's a good kid and I like the guy.

    (and I'll brain the first one that brings up Weiters...)

  3. #3
    PittFaninVa's Avatar
    Status : PittFaninVa is offline
    Rank : All-Star
    Join Date : Oct 28, 2009
    Posts : 2,433
    Threads : 94
    Last Online : Jun-07-2011 @ 10:03 PM

    Default Re: Another Moskos article

    Quote Originally Posted by just_ridin View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't care what y'all think...he's a good kid and I like the guy.

    (and I'll brain the first one that brings up Weiters...)
    If he goes to AA...that will pretty much tell you what the organization thinks of him.

  4. #4
    just_ridin's Avatar
    Status : just_ridin is offline
    Rank : Bench Warmer
    Join Date : Mar 4, 2010
    Location : Chicago
    Posts : 439
    Threads : 18
    Last Online : Oct-10-2013 @ 12:11 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Another Moskos article

    Quote Originally Posted by PittFaninVa View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If he goes to AA...that will pretty much tell you what the organization thinks of him.
    well...I didn't say I thought he was a great pitcher...just said I liked him!!


  5. #5
    buccoman's Avatar
    Status : buccoman is offline
    Rank : Minor Leaguer
    Join Date : Oct 29, 2009
    Posts : 521
    Threads : 24
    Last Online : Aug-14-2014 @ 07:33 PM

    Default Re: Another Moskos article

    Quote Originally Posted by just_ridin View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    well...I didn't say I thought he was a great pitcher...just said I liked him!!

    Problem is that all of the Littlefield era pitchers drafted seem to be these "smart" likeable types with limited talent and athleticism.

  6. #6
    BigBen2112's Avatar
    Status : BigBen2112 is offline
    Rank : Hall Of Famer
    Join Date : Oct 13, 2009
    Posts : 5,773
    Threads : 135
    Last Online : Jun-03-2014 @ 02:44 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Another Moskos article

    Quote Originally Posted by buccoman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Problem is that all of the Littlefield era pitchers drafted seem to be these "smart" likeable types with limited talent and athleticism.
    Sad isn't it?
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

  7. #7
    Kipper's Avatar
    Status : Kipper is offline
    Rank : Legend
    Join Date : Oct 8, 2009
    Posts : 67,323
    Threads : 1817
    Last Online : Apr-25-2017 @ 08:36 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Another Moskos article

    Quote Originally Posted by buccoman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Problem is that all of the Littlefield era pitchers drafted seem to be these "smart" likeable types with limited talent and athleticism.
    And some of the best NCAA power hitters that had been seen up to that point (JVB)

  8. #8
    BigBen2112's Avatar
    Status : BigBen2112 is offline
    Rank : Hall Of Famer
    Join Date : Oct 13, 2009
    Posts : 5,773
    Threads : 135
    Last Online : Jun-03-2014 @ 02:44 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Another Moskos article

    Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And some of the best NCAA power hitters that had been seen up to that point (JVB)
    Mind boggling huh? Hey Kip does JVB count as a first round hitting bust since he was both? j/k
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

  9. #9
    williamjpellas's Avatar
    Status : williamjpellas is offline
    Rank : Waterboy
    Join Date : Mar 3, 2010
    Posts : 130
    Threads : 0
    Last Online : May-18-2010 @ 11:39 AM

    Default Re: Another Moskos article

    I really wish people would get it through their heads that Moskos himself is not to blame for the fact that he was overdrafted. Seriously: let's say that any of us was a decent but not great pro prospect pitching for a major college program. Our coach says, hey kid, you'll probably be drafted somewhere in the first 10 rounds, you'll probably get about 100K to sign, and if you're smart and you work hard, you might make it to the bigs. You say, that sounds alright, and it's better than pounding the pavement looking for a real job.


    All of a sudden, here comes a GM of a major league team, and completely out of left field he picks you in the first round and throws a million bucks at you. You're still the same prospect who probably projects as a John Grabow type, but what: you're gonna turn the money down and/or spend the rest of your life apologizing because the GM's a total idiot?!?


    Get a grip, people. Moskos can still be, and will probably become, a useful major league pitcher. Nowhere near what a first rounder should be, but again, that's not his fault. We can always use another Grabow or equivalent pitcher. If Moskos is that or even turns out to be better, where's the problem? Leave the kid alone.

  10. #10
    Jeremy's Avatar
    Status : Jeremy is offline
    Rank : Waterboy
    Join Date : Oct 30, 2009
    Posts : 228
    Threads : 5
    Last Online : May-10-2011 @ 03:00 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Another Moskos article

    Don't brain me....but I'm over being broken up over Weiters.

    Sure it would've been nice to have a kid like that behind the dish, but I like what we have now and I'm not 100% convinced the kid pulls a Piazza and stays behind the plate his whole career. If he's got a plus bat like the scouts say, some genius in Charm City is going to want to move to to first or to the outfield.
    Hidden Content

    Who needs the USC song girls?

  11. #11
    Kipper's Avatar
    Status : Kipper is offline
    Rank : Legend
    Join Date : Oct 8, 2009
    Posts : 67,323
    Threads : 1817
    Last Online : Apr-25-2017 @ 08:36 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Another Moskos article

    Quote Originally Posted by BigBen2112 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Mind boggling huh? Hey Kip does JVB count as a first round hitting bust since he was both? j/k
    I would just exclude JVB all together. I can't even consider him a pitching bust since most scouts (Ed Creech not being one of them) felt JVB's ceiling was that of a hitter.

  12. #12
    Kipper's Avatar
    Status : Kipper is offline
    Rank : Legend
    Join Date : Oct 8, 2009
    Posts : 67,323
    Threads : 1817
    Last Online : Apr-25-2017 @ 08:36 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Another Moskos article

    Quote Originally Posted by williamjpellas View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I really wish people would get it through their heads that Moskos himself is not to blame for the fact that he was overdrafted. Seriously: let's say that any of us was a decent but not great pro prospect pitching for a major college program. Our coach says, hey kid, you'll probably be drafted somewhere in the first 10 rounds, you'll probably get about 100K to sign, and if you're smart and you work hard, you might make it to the bigs. You say, that sounds alright, and it's better than pounding the pavement looking for a real job.


    All of a sudden, here comes a GM of a major league team, and completely out of left field he picks you in the first round and throws a million bucks at you. You're still the same prospect who probably projects as a John Grabow type, but what: you're gonna turn the money down and/or spend the rest of your life apologizing because the GM's a total idiot?!?


    Get a grip, people. Moskos can still be, and will probably become, a useful major league pitcher. Nowhere near what a first rounder should be, but again, that's not his fault. We can always use another Grabow or equivalent pitcher. If Moskos is that or even turns out to be better, where's the problem? Leave the kid alone.
    I completely agree with this. Not granted, it's still fun to poke fun for no other reason that it being fun but I for one have rooted for Moskos. Why wouldn't I? He's a Pirate, I want him to succeed. He could end up being a very good BP guy... At least that's what he was drafted as unlike say Sean Burnett (bust).

  13. #13
    just_ridin's Avatar
    Status : just_ridin is offline
    Rank : Bench Warmer
    Join Date : Mar 4, 2010
    Location : Chicago
    Posts : 439
    Threads : 18
    Last Online : Oct-10-2013 @ 12:11 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Another Moskos article

    Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I completely agree with this. Not granted, it's still fun to poke fun for no other reason that it being fun but I for one have rooted for Moskos. Why wouldn't I? He's a Pirate, I want him to succeed. He could end up being a very good BP guy... At least that's what he was drafted as unlike say Sean Burnett (bust).
    me three!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •