Thread: Another Moskos article

Threads : 94

Default Another Moskos article

BRADENTON, Fla. – Daniel Moskos isn’t sure if he’ll be a starter or reliever, and the Pirates apparently aren’t sure, either, so there’s a chance the Bucs’ No. 1 pick in the 2007 draft could be back in an Altoona Curve uniform this season.

“I go into spring training every year not knowing what I’m going to be doing,” Moskos was saying recently at McKechnie Field. “But, I’ll do whatever they tell me to do.”

Right now, it looks like Moskos, who posted an 11-10 record in 25 starts at Altoona last season, will be in the bullpen.

“We’re trying to maximize his value,” Kyle Stark, the Pirates director of player personnel, said, “and part of that is evaluating whether he fits in as an inning-eating starter or if his stuff plays out of the bullpen, meaning he’d come in and pitch later.”

Moskos, a 23-year-old southpaw from Greenville, SC, has appeared in only one Grapefruit League game this spring and was touched up for three runs in just one inning by the Phillies.

Nonetheless, Moskos is not discouraged.

“It’s going well,” he said of camp. “It’s good to be around this environment and get to be around people who have been in the big leagues.

“I’m just trying to soak up information by asking questions. I’m getting good information just by being around them.”

While pitching at Clemson University, Moskos compiled a 3.25 ERA in 81 appearances, but only 10 were starts. He finished with 16 saves – fourth best in school history.

Moskos made 11 relief appearances – no starts -- for the short-season State College Spikes in 2007. He was promoted to high Class A Lynchburg in 2008 where he compiled a 7-7 record and 5.95 ERA, appearing in 20 games as a starter and nine as a reliever.

His 11-10 record and 3.74 ERA in 2009 at Altoona ranked sixth among Pirate farmhands in ERA and tied for third in wins. He also ranked third in wins in the Eastern League.

“I learned a lot (at Altoona),” Moskos said. “It was a big step up in competition, and I got my feet wet.

“I struggled at first, but I learned how to pitch at that level and proved to myself I could compete at that level and move up to the next level.”

Moskos credits a lot of his improvement a year ago to pitching coach Dean Treanor, who will be working at Indianapolis this season.

“I love working with Dean,” Moskios said. “He’s awesome. He’s hands on.

“He’s always willing to work and is trying to make you better. That’s a great quality to have in a pitching coach.”

If Moskos is in the bullpen, he’ll take it in stride, he said.

“You’ve got to be a little more in the moment when you’re coming out of the bullpen, and it’s all about longevity as a starter,” he said. “The mindset will change once I find out what I’m going to be doing, and we’ll cross that road when I come to it.”

He’ll also accept his assignment, whether it’s Indianapolis or Altoona.

“It’s not where I’m at in April,” he said. “It’s where I am in July that will be important.”

****....Moskos possibly starting at AA. That's a pick that keeps hauting Pirate fans.

My guess if he goes to AA it will be as a starter. If he goes to Indy he will be in the pen.

Threads : 18
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Another Moskos article

I don't care what y'all think...he's a good kid and I like the guy.

(and I'll brain the first one that brings up Weiters...)

Threads : 94

Quote Originally Posted by just_ridin View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't care what y'all think...he's a good kid and I like the guy.

(and I'll brain the first one that brings up Weiters...)
    If he goes to AA...that will pretty much tell you what the organization thinks of him.

Quote Originally Posted by PittFaninVa View Post
    If he goes to AA...that will pretty much tell you what the organization thinks of him.
    well...I didn't say I thought he was a great pitcher...just said I liked him!!

Threads : 24

Quote Originally Posted by just_ridin View Post
    well...I didn't say I thought he was a great pitcher...just said I liked him!!

Problem is that all of the Littlefield era pitchers drafted seem to be these "smart" likeable types with limited talent and athleticism.

Threads : 135
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by buccoman View Post
    Problem is that all of the Littlefield era pitchers drafted seem to be these "smart" likeable types with limited talent and athleticism.
    Sad isn't it?
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Threads : 1817

Quote Originally Posted by buccoman View Post
    And some of the best NCAA power hitters that had been seen up to that point (JVB)

Threads : 135
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    And some of the best NCAA power hitters that had been seen up to that point (JVB)
    Mind boggling huh? Hey Kip does JVB count as a first round hitting bust since he was both? j/k
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Threads : 0

I really wish people would get it through their heads that Moskos himself is not to blame for the fact that he was overdrafted. Seriously: let's say that any of us was a decent but not great pro prospect pitching for a major college program. Our coach says, hey kid, you'll probably be drafted somewhere in the first 10 rounds, you'll probably get about 100K to sign, and if you're smart and you work hard, you might make it to the bigs. You say, that sounds alright, and it's better than pounding the pavement looking for a real job.

All of a sudden, here comes a GM of a major league team, and completely out of left field he picks you in the first round and throws a million bucks at you. You're still the same prospect who probably projects as a John Grabow type, but what: you're gonna turn the money down and/or spend the rest of your life apologizing because the GM's a total idiot?!?

Get a grip, people. Moskos can still be, and will probably become, a useful major league pitcher. Nowhere near what a first rounder should be, but again, that's not his fault. We can always use another Grabow or equivalent pitcher. If Moskos is that or even turns out to be better, where's the problem? Leave the kid alone.

Threads : 5
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Don't brain me....but I'm over being broken up over Weiters.

Sure it would've been nice to have a kid like that behind the dish, but I like what we have now and I'm not 100% convinced the kid pulls a Piazza and stays behind the plate his whole career. If he's got a plus bat like the scouts say, some genius in Charm City is going to want to move to to first or to the outfield.
    Hidden Content

Who needs the USC song girls?

Quote Originally Posted by BigBen2112 View Post
    Mind boggling huh? Hey Kip does JVB count as a first round hitting bust since he was both? j/k
    I would just exclude JVB all together. I can't even consider him a pitching bust since most scouts (Ed Creech not being one of them) felt JVB's ceiling was that of a hitter.

Quote Originally Posted by williamjpellas View Post
    I really wish people would get it through their heads that Moskos himself is not to blame for the fact that he was overdrafted. Seriously: let's say that any of us was a decent but not great pro prospect pitching for a major college program. Our coach says, hey kid, you'll probably be drafted somewhere in the first 10 rounds, you'll probably get about 100K to sign, and if you're smart and you work hard, you might make it to the bigs. You say, that sounds alright, and it's better than pounding the pavement looking for a real job.

All of a sudden, here comes a GM of a major league team, and completely out of left field he picks you in the first round and throws a million bucks at you. You're still the same prospect who probably projects as a John Grabow type, but what: you're gonna turn the money down and/or spend the rest of your life apologizing because the GM's a total idiot?!?

Get a grip, people. Moskos can still be, and will probably become, a useful major league pitcher. Nowhere near what a first rounder should be, but again, that's not his fault. We can always use another Grabow or equivalent pitcher. If Moskos is that or even turns out to be better, where's the problem? Leave the kid alone.
    I completely agree with this. Not granted, it's still fun to poke fun for no other reason that it being fun but I for one have rooted for Moskos. Why wouldn't I? He's a Pirate, I want him to succeed. He could end up being a very good BP guy... At least that's what he was drafted as unlike say Sean Burnett (bust).

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    I completely agree with this. Not granted, it's still fun to poke fun for no other reason that it being fun but I for one have rooted for Moskos. Why wouldn't I? He's a Pirate, I want him to succeed. He could end up being a very good BP guy... At least that's what he was drafted as unlike say Sean Burnett (bust).
    me three!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information