Thread: Why can't we beat the Devils?

Threads : 47
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Why can't we beat the Devils?

I can't beleive they swept us. We just haven't looked that good against them and we haven't beat the craps yet this year either. These are the 2 best teams other than the Pens in the Eastern conference.

This poses a bit of a problem as we will likely have to beat at least one of them to repeat. I am more confident playing the craps because of our success agaisnt them last year, even though they appear to be a better team this year. The Pens are going to have to find their playoff game. It looked promising for the first few games after the break, but we now look like the January Pens again. I hope we can pick up our game. Thoughts?

One a side note, when I played as a kid there was one team that we just couldn't beat. They were a good team but not a great team and we could beat the teams that beat them. We lost every game to them for 2 years and they let us know it. At the end of the second year at the provincial championships we were scheduled to meet them in an elimination game. It was an early game and we were staying in the same hotel as they were. The night before the game they were out in the pool for about 2 hours. We SALUGHTERED them!

Go Pens

Threads : 70

Default Re: Why can't we beat the Devils?

The Caps are not that strong on defense and their goalie is suspect(So is Fleury)But they are one hell of a offensive machine
    The Devils have Brodeur and have enough talent and play a trapping style that matches up well verse the Pens
    The only positive this season the Pens had on the Devils were shots on goal...but Brodeur counters that.

Threads : 34
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

we are just setting them up with a false sense of security.
    The only player in the NHL more overpaid than MAF is Jordan Staal

Threads : 2
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

My thoughts on this sweep:

1. If we meet them in the playoffs - the playoffs, as usual, will likely be a different matter.

2. We outplayed them this season for large stretches, as SOG shows.

3. Fleury has not played well against his idol. He needs to step it up, not just against them, but in general. The fact that he has zero shutouts this year is bothersome. Brodeur, on the other hand, had had our number. He's due for the equalization factor.

4. By now, we pretty much know how NJ is going to play us, and hopefully they've blown their wad.

5. Our defense can't give any more pucks away than last night.

Believe it or not, as bad as 0 for 6 sounds, I'm confident that come playoff time, we can take them.

But I'd still prefer us playing Ottawa.

Threads : 13

Quote Originally Posted by DrKnow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Caps are not that strong on defense and their goalie is suspect[HIGH-LIGHT](So is Fleury)[/HIGH-LIGHT]But they are one hell of a offensive machine
    The Devils have Brodeur and have enough talent and play a trapping style that matches up well verse the Pens
    The only positive this season the Pens had on the Devils were shots on goal...but Brodeur counters that.
    Really? Funny how there are still Fleury haters.
    I agree that Fleury hasn't been top notch since the break, but he is without a doubt a top 10, probably top 5, goalie in this league. Hardly suspect.

Threads : 206
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

First off.... The Pens record has never been great verse Marty Brodeur/Devils. So the fact that they are struggling this year shouldn't be a shock. That **** gets stuck in your head and then you try to over-compensate. The Devils trap frustrates teams that like to possess the puck (aka the Penguins!) They force you to give up the puck by clogging up the neutral zone and forcing you to dump and chase. But the Penguins are too stubborn! They try to force passes to maintain possesion and end up turning it over. That mentality is exactly what the Devils are hoping for. IMO The Devils are better at executing their system vs the Pens than the Pens are executing their system vs a trap. The Pens are going to need to dump the puck into the corners. Force the Devils D to handle the puck and then forecheck the crap out of them. You can't let Brodeur control the pucks on the shoot ins.

Secondly, The Pens aren't as good as we think they are (in our narrow, "love the home team", minds!) They're not a dominant team. They finished strong to barely gain a fifth seed. Then three of their series went to seven games. It was no cake walk!

The Pens won the cup last year with a combination of talent, luck and determination! The talent level is about the same, luck has been about average... The Pens have had injuries, but nothing too severe. We'll have to see if they can avoid NJ in the playoffs again this year. IMO, the determination is not there (at least yet.) When the Pens lost to the Red Wings in 2008, nothing was going to stop them from getting back to the finals and another shot at the cup. This year is a little different. Being the defending champ puts a big target on your back! Then you can add the "Crosby Sucks" factor... that only got worse since the Olympics. Now Matt Cooke has added to the anti-Penguins fodder. There are plenty of reasons to up your game, when you play Pittsburgh!

Bottom line... The Pens aren't playing desperate hockey yet. Hopefully they find that desperate attitude shortly and we'll see what happens.
    Last edited by (419)BlackNGold; Mar-18-2010 at 11:55 AM.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I mentioned this in The GDT and this has been true during the regular season, these few seasons and killed the Pens in the playoffs during the 90's...

The Pens struggle badly against the trap. The Devils and Panthers anyone that throw up a trap against us in the 90's stopped us in the playoffs no matter how good or talented we were.. It's been happening through the regular season in recent years (the Devils have had our number I wanna say except for the one season when Brent Suter was the coach and ditched the trap)... This also applies to teams like the Crapitals and why this year and last year we struggle against them in the regular season ...

Patience and Discipline.

The Craps aren't a trap team but much like the Red Wings were, they are ****ing fast in transition and they want you to screw up in the Neutral Zone to force turnovers and create quick rushes. The Washington Crapitals want nothing to do with having to play in their own zone with that lineup of incompetent defensemen... You need patience and discipline going through neutral zone to not cough the puck up... Same thing goes for the Devils. When we get through Neutral ice against them we spent decent time in their zone, it's cross ice passes and the quick impatient dumps and decisions that kill us against teams that clamp down the neutral zone.

Now, in the playoffs it can all change. It did last season. We were the ones locking down the neutral zone, forcing teams into tight checking games, creating turnovers and such. It might have taken 7 games to beat the Crapitals but we outplayed them in at least 5 of those game. The difference was they had a rookie goalie playing numb and stopping everything until we finally broke him. You can look at the Detroit series as well. We basically did exactly what the Red Wings do to other teams and us in the 07-08 Finals. We pressured them into make quick decisions with the puck and it forced them to cough up pucks to our advantage.

It really is simple. It is patience and discipline. At least during the Regular season, i've noticed that the Pens don't want to play that patient type of game and when the playoffs hit, their game focus switches. Tis why I don't get too worried about losing to teams like the Devils and Crapitals. I hate losing to them, don't get me wrong but it's that Regular Season vs. Playoff Hockey mindset....

Why can't we beat the Devils?
    The instigator penalty

Threads : 70

Quote Originally Posted by jeffkingsmustache View Post
    Really? Funny how there are still Fleury haters.
    I agree that Fleury hasn't been top notch since the break, but he is without a doubt a top 10, probably top 5, goalie in this league. Hardly suspect.
    Lets see, look at MAF's numbers for this year...he is playing like a bottom 5 goalie in the NHL. Last year in the playoffs, he had one of the lowest save % in the last 20 years for a cup winning team. To his credit, Fleury didnt choke in game 6/7 of the Detroit Series and game 7 of the Cap Series, but it was the team in front of him that out shot and controled the puck that was the reason the Pens won. Last night was not MAFs fault. I dont dislike Fleury but he is over rated and far from an elite goalie. The Pens can win with him, but not because of him!

Quote Originally Posted by DrKnow View Post
    Lets see, look at MAF's numbers for this year...he is playing like a bottom 5 goalie in the NHL. Last year in the playoffs, he had one of the lowest save % in the last 20 years for a cup winning team. To his credit, Fleury didnt choke in game 6/7 of the Detroit Series and game 7 of the Cap Series, but it was the team in front of him that out shot and controled the puck that was the reason the Pens won. Last night was not MAFs fault. I dont dislike Fleury but he is over rated and far from an elite goalie. The Pens can win with him, but not because of him!

WELL SAID!!!!!!!!!!!111

Threads : 6

Quite simply, the Pens' style plays to the Devils' strengths. The Pens have to slightly alter their style when playing against them. I think Kipper said it best about discipline and patience.

Other teams have success against NJ. When watching those games the plan is simple; north-south vs. east-west, and outworking them. Of course, the Devs pick it up a notch or two against the Pens, but the formula works.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information