Thread: Jeff Karstens?

Threads : 91
    Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Jeff Karstens?

Can anyone tell me how he fell out of the fifth spot last year and into the bullpen?

He always seemed to be a little solid to me (as solid as the fifth man in the Pirates roation can be), but once the Morton trade was made it seemed to me like the Pirates gave up on him as a starter.

I kind of lost track towards the end of the season.
    Did Karstens blow up and get himself out of the rotation?
    Or is it another head scratcher?

Threads : 135
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Jeff Karstens?

Quote Originally Posted by Waiting for LaRoche View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Can anyone tell me how he fell out of the fifth spot last year and into the bullpen?

He always seemed to be a little solid to me (as solid as the fifth man in the Pirates roation can be), but once the Morton trade was made it seemed to me like the Pirates gave up on him as a starter.

He was erratic and did not perform well in ST or at the beginning of the season last year. I think he had like a 5.2+ ERA as a starter...i wonder if he'll make the roster this year.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Waiting for LaRoche View Post

Karsten's never had real good stuff to begin with. He was always pegged as a fringe 5th starter but best potential being in the pen. He didn't have enough quality pitches to go 6 IP or more, go through lineups a couple of times.

Karstens has a nice sink on most of his pitches but he has issues controlling it and batters know this and tend to lay off rather than allowing themselves to get fooled (like Karstens near no hitter in his 1st or 2nd game as a Pirate). His ebst pitch is probably his Slider and it's not really that great. His FB is below average and curve and change aren't deceptive

I also wanna say that I read somewhere from a scout about how Karstens pitches are livelier and he has more command of them from a short BP windup and delivery.

Basically he was a stopgap option as a 5th starter until better options came then he got moved to the BP and was alright in long relief. Definitely nothing great

Threads : 0

The other issue with him is that he's had some injury problems. He's shown better results from time to time, usually as a long man in the 'pen but sometimes even as a starter. However, his elbow has bothered him and so has his back. Not enough to hit the DL, but enough to cut him down a few pegs. If you look at his game-by-game results, though, he's had some stretches where he was quite effective for several weeks at a time. Just not over a full season.

As Kipper says, he's still nothing great, but I think he's somewhat better than his overall statistics would indicate at first glance.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by williamjpellas View Post
    The other issue with him is that he's had some injury problems. He's shown better results from time to time, usually as a long man in the 'pen but sometimes even as a starter. However, his elbow has bothered him and so has his back. Not enough to hit the DL, but enough to cut him down a few pegs. If you look at his game-by-game results, though, he's had some stretches where he was quite effective for several weeks at a time. Just not over a full season.

As Kipper says, he's still nothing great, but [HIGH-LIGHT]I think he's somewhat better than his overall statistics would indicate at first glance[/HIGH-LIGHT].
    I haven't looked at his numbers recently so this is a guess but I wanna say that his overall stats have been skewed by those couple of real bad outtings. If you look at the game by game like you mentioned you see a bunch of decent performances and then that one real bad that just jacks up the stats numbers while if you are looking for "effectiveness" you're better off checking out the Game Logs.

Karstens IMO still profiles IMO as a stop gap guy and I think he was had in that trade just to provide more depth in an area in which we had none. sort of a throw on to the deal

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information