Default MAF Leading ESPN Votes

"Who should start in net for Canada in the Olypmics?"

38% say MAF should start followed by Brodeur at 29%

30,000 + people that voted, MAF is leading over Luongo and Brodeur

http://espn.go.com/nhl/

Threads : 48
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: MAF Leading ESPN Votes

Right now,MAF is the best goalie in the league.Period...................and I'm not even a MAF fan.

Threads : 135

Quote Originally Posted by Les View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Right now,MAF is the best goalie in the league.Period...................and I'm not even a MAF fan.
    I think the uptempo style helps him a LOT.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BigBen2112 View Post
    I think the uptempo style helps him a LOT.
    I think there's something to that. In tight, low shot games, I always felt like MAF along with the rest of team would get a little disinterested and that would lead to weaker goals. When the game is intense (even if low scoring), MAF is on. Bylsma's 2 lead forchecking scheme that is all about puck possession and control helps out for sure...

but I also think the defense has gotten better as well. They allow Fleury to see the puck much more, they block alot of shots, they are where they are supposed to be when MAF sends rebounds etc...

Can't say I've not been pleased with MAF and Bylsma. What's crazy was the interview from Bylsma that the systems aren't even done yet and won't be completely installed until something like November. Then you figure it'll take a couple of months for the players to really gel and have those systems down naturally. The Pens are going to e scary good and we keep getting goaltending like this from MAF, they're going to be raising the banner at the new arena for the 4th cup

Threads : 6

I just see an overall more confident Fleury. His rebound control and puck handling skills are noticeably better. He's seized the moment and is finally ready to move on to bigger and better things.

Winning a Cup can build a ton of confidence, espeically for a guy like Fleury who had been living with the world's failure in the back of his head forever. Getting over that hump and winning a cup.. erases any and all of that stuff

Threads : 135

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    I think there's something to that. In tight, low shot games, I always felt like MAF along with the rest of team would get a little disinterested and that would lead to weaker goals. When the game is intense (even if low scoring), MAF is on. Bylsma's 2 lead forchecking scheme that is all about puck possession and control helps out for sure...

but I also think the defense has gotten better as well. They allow Fleury to see the puck much more, they block alot of shots, they are where they are supposed to be when MAF sends rebounds etc...

Can't say I've not been pleased with MAF and Bylsma. What's crazy was the interview from Bylsma that the systems aren't even done yet and won't be completely installed until something like November. Then you figure it'll take a couple of months for the players to really gel and have those systems down naturally. The Pens are going to e scary good and we keep getting goaltending like this from MAF, they're going to be raising the banner at the new arena for the 4th cup
    I think that the uptempo style has helped the D b/c that's how the D is built...and thus that has helped MAF. Furthermore, if there is more action I think you're right that he's more interested in the game and plays better.

Furthermore, the uptempo style allows us to rebound easier from a goal he gives up as the focus is on our offensive skills being utilized.

I mean...look at Goligoski...he's looked pretty **** good in Bylsma's system.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Quote Originally Posted by BigBen2112 View Post
    I think that the uptempo style has helped the D b/c that's how the D is built...and thus that has helped MAF. Furthermore, if there is more action I think you're right that he's more interested in the game and plays better.

Furthermore, the uptempo style allows us to rebound easier from a goal he gives up as the focus is on our offensive skills being utilized.

I mean...look at Goligoski...he's looked pretty **** good in Bylsma's system.
    Yeah, Gogo has looked pretty good. The big thing is that we are more of a puck moving team now. Under Therrien we relied on long cross ice passing, dump and chases and staying fairly still at center ice waiting for something to unfold from behind. We really play much more of a Detroit style of game. shorter passes, but passes going vertically, moving the puck to get up ice, controlling possession in the offensive zone, cycles that actually lead somewhere rather than 3 guys cucling low with your d at the blue lines. Defense pinches much more now, cycles break loose to slots and points now.

It's a nice overhaul that really plays into the strengths of the team and helps out the goalie tremendously as well. Hell look at what Detrouit's system did for Osgood

Threads : 23
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yeah, Gogo has looked pretty good. The big thing is that we are more of a puck moving team now. Under Therrien we relied on long cross ice passing, dump and chases and staying fairly still at center ice waiting for something to unfold from behind. We really play much more of a Detroit style of game. shorter passes, but passes going vertically, moving the puck to get up ice, controlling possession in the offensive zone, cycles that actually lead somewhere rather than 3 guys cucling low with your d at the blue lines. Defense pinches much more now, cycles break loose to slots and points now.

It's a nice overhaul that really plays into the strengths of the team and helps out the goalie tremendously as well. Hell look at what Detrouit's system did for Osgood
    I also love that the Pens now have 1 solid defenseman, and 1 puck moving defenseman on each pair. McKee is gonna be huge for us if he can stay healthy. What a pickup this guy looks like.

Quote Originally Posted by jmd View Post
    I also love that the Pens now have 1 solid defenseman, and 1 puck moving defenseman on each pair. McKee is gonna be huge for us if he can stay healthy. What a pickup this guy looks like.
    Yeah, that's a really good point. Before that 3rd pairing used to be made up of pairings that couldn't move the puck real well. With Tang, Gogo and Gonch on different pairings and with a stay at home guy on each, it really is a hell of a lot more balanced

Threads : 6

Yeah, that's a really good point. Before that 3rd pairing used to be made up of pairings that couldn't move the puck real well. With Tang, Gogo and Gonch on different pairings and with a stay at home guy on each, it really is a hell of a lot more balanced
    Not to mention the "stay at home" guys can skate as well. Nosepick is an underrated skater and puckhandler, as is McKee to this point, along with Eaton. I'd say Eaton is the weakest, however, his experience tends to allow him see far enough ahead to make the smart move.

All in all, Goligoski is a pleasant surprise. I won't go as far as to say I'm impressed just yet, but pleased. He took his demotion to heart and learned from it. I think he'll be just fine in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by ihateusernames View Post
    Not to mention the "stay at home" guys can skate as well. Nosepick is an underrated skater and puckhandler, as is McKee to this point, along with Eaton. I'd say Eaton is the weakest, however, his experience tends to allow him see far enough ahead to make the smart move.

All in all, Goligoski is a pleasant surprise. I won't go as far as to say I'm impressed just yet, but pleased. He took his demotion to heart and learned from it. I think he'll be just fine in the long run.
    Good point about them skating. Orpik sometimes looks like he has issues skating laterally from tiem to time but overall, they aren't stiffs out there like other teams stay at home D-men.

I think Goligoski picked up some valuable and good experience down in WBS that's prepared him better for this season. Amazing thing is guys like Letang and Goligoski are only going to get better

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information