Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The 70's Pirates

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default The 70's Pirates

FSN during this rain delay/postponing has been running a really nice piec eon the 70's Pirates.

The one thing that stuck out to me was Bill Madlock saying "we only had 2 stars in Stargell and Parker, the rest of us just worked together" in describing the late 70's Pirates.

The other part that was interesting was them actually talking about the farm system in the 70's and how the Pirates drafted and developed pure hitting and power and pretty much ignored pitching. to accumulate pitching, they would trade hitters.. A couple of the guys even mentioning that they never had any great pitchers and in some years the pitching staff was what he;d them back but other years the pitching despite lacking great ones had enough quality to be good and accent the Lumber Co.

Thought both were pretty interesting.

Location : Pirates fan trapped 11 CTA stops north of Wrigley Field
    Threads : 72

Default Re: The 70's Pirates

They don't call 'em "the good old days" for nothin'...

Free your *** and your mind will follow.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

Threads : 0

Madlock, to me, was the best hitter of all of them. If I'm not mistaken, he is the only right-handed batter in big league history to win four (count 'em) batting titles. His swing was exactly like Paul Molitor's: quick, short, and level, with occasionally better-than-you'd-think power. And believe it or not, Madlock could run, too, at least he could before he ate himself out of the league.

There was never any doubt in my mind that he would have been in Cooperstown had he bothered to stay in shape. Instead he was finished at 34.

Threads : 691

the Pirates of the 70's had great hitters top to bottom. They never worried about seeing strikes or working the pitchers Sanguillen,Stennett and even Clemente,if they could reach it ,they would swing at it.
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I remember being "sick" for opening day, as well as other "day" games numerous times just to be able to listen to the game on the radio...

"Lumber & Lightning"......

Mad Dog was the man back then.... Just seemed to get the job done... But they were just genuinely fun to watch... Omar stealing bases, Willie with his great unique "wind-up" before stepping into the batter's box, Bill Robinson stepping in as a pinch hitter, Ott behind the plate.... ****, those truly were the days.

My personal favorite was the Candy Man on the mound.... And was it Rhoden that said he'd walk home from Philly?... Name and city might be wrong after all these years.
    Last edited by Palmetto Steel; Mar-21-2010 at 04:32 PM.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

I remember the great rivalry between the Lumber Company and the Big Red Machine. They met in the playoffs in 1970-72-75 and 79

Threads : 3263

Quote Originally Posted by buccoray61 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I remember the great rivalry between the Lumber Company and the Big Red Machine. They met in the playoffs in 1970-72-75 and 79
    .... Don't forget 1990, unfortunately....

In the NLCS the Reds would face their old rivals Pittsburgh Pirates and with the Nasty Boys dominating all the way would win in six games, as Dibble, and Myers split the NLCS MVP.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Location : Pirates fan trapped 11 CTA stops north of Wrigley Field
    Threads : 72

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    .... Don't forget 1990, unfortunately....

Actually, I'd prefer to forget 1990...
    Free your *** and your mind will follow.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

Threads : 40

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    FSN during this rain delay/postponing has been running a really nice piec eon the 70's Pirates.

The one thing that stuck out to me was Bill Madlock saying "we only had 2 stars in Stargell and Parker, the rest of us just worked together" in describing the late 70's Pirates.

The other part that was interesting was them actually talking about the farm system in the 70's and how the Pirates drafted and developed pure hitting and power and pretty much ignored pitching. to accumulate pitching, they would trade hitters.. A couple of the guys even mentioning that they never had any great pitchers and in some years the pitching staff was what he;d them back but other years the pitching despite lacking great ones had enough quality to be good and accent the Lumber Co.

Thought both were pretty interesting.

The starters were always 4 or 5 deep and a strong bullpen. Guys like Ruess,Briles, Medich, and Bibby, Donnie Robinson, Blyleven, had Romo, Tek and Jackson and one year Gossage and Foster behind them. Players like Oliver and Zisk and Willie Randolph could be traded. They were a team, Blyleven pitching out of the pen, that would never happen today. Also the bench was outstanding, Milner, Bill Robinson,Ott or Nicosia, those were the days.

Threads : 0

Woops, a correction about Madlock. I meant to say, he is the only righthanded batter in National League history to win 4 batting titles. NOT in major league history.

Threads : 197

I didn't see much of that show, but since you mentioned it, the one thing I saw that stuck with me was when Blass was saying how he doesn't know the numbers, but if you look Manny Sanguillen was probably a better offensive player than Jason Kendall. I can't really come up with any stat that would say that's the case. Sanguillen's whole career is actually pretty similar in terms of plate appearances to just the time Kendall spent as a Pirate. Kendall bests Sanguillen in just about everything. The only edge that Sanguillen has in triples, but Kendall had way more doubles. Trying to factor in the comparison across eras, Kendall's OPS+ was 108 to Sanguillen's 102, and the difference is heavily OBP driven, which I'm sure most would agree is the more important of the two stats being combined. Kendall actually walked more than he struck out, got hit by pitches like crazy, and was a much better base stealer. If Sanguillen has an advantage anywhere it has to be on defense.

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I thought it was Blass who walked home from Philly after the Pirates came back from a huge deficit ( 8 runs I think) to win. It benefited a local charity I believe.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Threads : 29

It was Jim Rooker.

Threads : 138

My first year as a Pirate fan was Bob Prince's last season. I can still remember the middle names of most of the Buc's starting lineup from '73 b/c Prince would always say their full name when the came to plate; Wilver Dornell Stargetll, Manuel DeJesus Sanguillien, Dave Eugene Cash, Richard Joseph Hebner, Renaldo Antonio Stennett (not a starter then) etc...

A lot of people remember Tekulve and Jackson and Gossage and Forrester. In the early 70's Dave Guisti was the man. He threw a pitch called the "palm ball" and seemed to save every win for the Bucs (did they count saves back then?) Ramon Hernendez was a stellar in the setup roll as well.

If Rennie Stennett didn't blow out his ankle or Willie Randolph doesn't get traded, I think that might have been enough to put them over the top of the "Big Red Machine." The Bucs had three great second-baseman in the 70's that never really got to flourish in Pittsburgh: Cash, Stennett, and Randolph.

Anybody remember the playoff game when Candaleria, pitching with a wonky back, mowed down the Reds with 13 strikeouts? I think the Bucs still lost that game. I listened to the Candyman's no-hitter against the Dodgers on my transistor radio. He was a home grown pitcher that came through the Bucs system. So were Don Robinson and Larry Demery.... there were a few pitchers that came through our system that had prominent roles.

A lot of people remember Tekulve and Jackson and Gossage and Forrester. In the early 70's Dave Guisti was the man. He threw a pitch called the "palm ball" and seemed to save every win for the Bucs (did they count saves back then?)
    Here are Giusti's save totals with the Pirates.

70-26
    71-30
    72-22
    73-20
    74-12
    75-17
    76-6

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information