Thread: Brandon Moss struggling this spring

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Brandon Moss struggling this spring

Brandon Moss struggling this spring
    By Rob Biertempfel
    PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Sunday, March 21, 2010

SARASOTA, Fla. -- The bat shattered, sawed off at the handle. The ball shot up toward the middle of the infield, a high looper that drifted in the stiff breeze. Two Minnesota Twins converged near second base, gloves up, eyes searching the high sky.

The ball ticked off the shortstop's glove, then plopped to the turf.

Brandon Moss looked over his left shoulder as he ran down the first-base line. He was thinking, almost chanting, to himself: Just give me a hit for that. That would be great. Give me a hit. Give me a hit.

Error, shortstop.

It was Moss' 22nd at-bat of spring training -- none of which produced a hit. No liners off the outfield wall. No seeing-eye singles. No bleeders, bloops or blasts. As the Pirates left Fort Myers, Fla., on Thursday, the Pirates outfielder was hitless in 25 consecutive plate appearances (including three walks).

"I told everybody that if this was the (regular) season, I'd be on death watch," Moss said, with a laugh. "You might have to come cut me down from somewhere. I might kill myself in the batting cage. But because it's spring training and I feel like I'm having decent at-bats, I wasn't too worried about it."

Perhaps Moss wasn't worried, but he was fully aware of his 0-for-spring training slump. The first week of Grapefruit League games, it was kind of funny. The second week, still no big deal.

"I remember going 1 for 16 in the (Arizona) Fall League, but never anything like this," Moss said.

By the third week, however, folks in the clubhouse were talking about it in hushed tones.

"I'm sure he's pressing," Pirates manager John Russell said after Moss went 0 for 3 on Thursday against the Twins.

"I've been seeing the ball well, but I felt like I was kind of pulling away from the ball a little bit," Moss admitted. "Maybe that was just being too tense because I was 0 for a million. As a hitter, you know when you haven't had a hit."

On Friday, Moss entered the game against Boston as a defensive replacement in the sixth inning. At 3:25 p.m., righty Jorge Sosa offered a fastball, and Moss whipped it into right field for a single.

"Yeah, it was a relief," Moss said, grinning after the game. "Absolutely."

With hit No. 1 finally out of the way, Moss even found an upside.

"One day, when I come to spring training and a young kid's struggling, I can look at him and say, 'Hey, dude, don't even worry about it. I went 0 for 900 to start spring training back in 2010.' "

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...s_672683.html#
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 40
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Brandon Moss struggling this spring

"One day, when I come to spring training and a young kid's struggling, I can look at him and say, 'Hey, dude, don't even worry about it. I went 0 for 900 to start spring training back in 2010.' "

Hopefully that day will be real soon and either with another team or as Moss working the concession stand at spring training.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information