Thread: Don't compare Twins to Pirates

Threads : 40
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Don't compare Twins to Pirates

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...html?eref=sihp

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) -AL MVP Joe Mauer has agreed to an eight-year, $184 million contract extension to stay with the Minnesota Twins.

The deal announced Sunday covers the 2011-2018 seasons and includes a full no-trade clause. It's the culmination of a monthslong negotiation between the Twins and their hometown star.

Mauer has won three AL batting titles and an MVP award. He is considered one of the best defensive catchers in the game. Last year he hit .365 with 28 home runs and 96 RBIs to help the Twins win the AL Central division.

The St. Paul native was the No. 1 overall pick by the Twins in 2001.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz0iqz0msai
    Get a free NFL Team Jacket and Tee with SI Subscription

Don't even try to compare them, Pirates will never spend this much on a single player.

Threads : 691

Default Re: Don't compare Twins to Pirates

I'm very that the Twins were able to keep him. Got their hometown boy locked up and moving into a new stadium,things are looking good for thr Twins,and to think that idiot Selig wanted to contract them
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

Threads : 135
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I am not one normally to say something in support of the ownership or management team, normally because they do not deserve it, but I think that it may just possibly be impossible to know that the claim you make, that the Pirates would never spend that money on a single play, because the Pirates, it could be successfully argued, have not had a player of Mauer's ability in a long, long time--Barry Bonds possibly was the last one. Joe Mauer is one of the best 5 players in all of professional baseball. IF the Pirates ever have a player of that caliber then we'll know how they'll handle it, and hopefully they would invest the money, but currently the Pirates do not have a player even close to Mauer's ability. Hopefully Alvarez proves to be a star...
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't know about that. Almost 10 years ago (2000) the Pirates extended Jason Kendall to a 6 year $60 million contract which at that time for a small market team was a lot of money.

Ended up becoming a contract that we didn't finish paying up on until 2 years ago I believe, far after Kendall left.

Spending a butt load of money can sometimes have bad results.

Twins better hope Mauer doesn't get hurt or get one of those injuries that he can never fully rebound from.

Threads : 40
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't know about that. Almost 10 years ago (2000) the Pirates extended Jason Kendall to a 6 year $60 million contract which at that time for a small market team was a lot of money.

Ended up becoming a contract that we didn't finish paying up on until 2 years ago I believe, far after Kendall left.

Spending a butt load of money can sometimes have bad results.

Twins better hope Mauer doesn't get hurt or get one of those injuries that he can never fully rebound from.
    I agree, MLB will never be able to have a cap, Mauer will be making $23 million a year. Upton will be making $11. Simply put, the Pirates cannot compete. I do think he ends up with the Sox or Yanks before it is over like A-Hole, but honestly, how can teams compete with this? People always point to the Twins as a Pirate model, with this deal, you can't do that. That is 2/3 of the entire Pirate roster payroll. Baseball is simply the haves vs. the have nots. A few more years of losing and the Pirates and others will be talked about contracting. Maybe one day someone will start a new baseball league made up of small market teams with a salary cap. At some point, enough is enough, this deal puts me close to it.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by rbilak View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I agree, MLB will never be able to have a cap, Mauer will be making $23 million a year. Upton will be making $11. Simply put, the Pirates cannot compete. I do think he ends up with the Sox or Yanks before it is over like A-Hole, but honestly, how can teams compete with this? People always point to the Twins as a Pirate model, with this deal, you can't do that. That is 2/3 of the entire Pirate roster payroll. Baseball is simply the haves vs. the have nots. A few more years of losing and the Pirates and others will be talked about contracting. Maybe one day someone will start a new baseball league made up of small market teams with a salary cap. At some point, enough is enough, this deal puts me close to it.
    Like Cook said in his article... you can't have a player making 25% of your roster payroll and expect to surround that player with the players needed to win. Seems like the Twins got completely cornered in this deal and had no choice but to pay up. It would've been a PR nightmare for them if they hadn't
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information