Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What the Pens need

Threads : 47
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default What the Pens need

Here is what I think they need. A talking too from Sergeant Hartman.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFNeBRc7W7s[/ame]

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: What the Pens need

Hmmm.... perhaps that's the problem. This team didn't go through the West Pointe thing this past offseason and it's showing now ?

I don't think a motivational speech is going to do anything. It nothing last year when they looked lifeless before Therrien finally got ****canned. Therrien sucked but the team looked like it was dead. when playoff elimination faced this team last year, they always found a way... they've yet to face that this season and I think that's what it is going to take. they need a true scare
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 82
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hmmm.... perhaps that's the problem. This team didn't go through the West Pointe thing this past offseason and it's showing now ?

I don't think a motivational speech is going to do anything. It nothing last year when they looked lifeless before Therrien finally got ****canned. Therrien sucked but the team looked like it was dead. when playoff elimination faced this team last year, they always found a way... they've yet to face that this season and I think that's what it is going to take. they need a true scare
    I have been thinking that but now I am kinda thinking that this team is just not as good as they were last year or maybe even the year before that. I hate to be a moaner and the timing makes it seem like I am just disappointed with them the last few games and I am but if you really think about it we have a few things that are downgraded from previous teams and a lot of it is on defense. I certainly wouldn't put it all on them tho, we have more problems that that and the forwards can defo step it up and I think they will but are they going to be able to step up enough to go on a deep run? It is possible and MAF could step up too but I am not sure there are going to be better days with our current D roster.

Threads : 29

The biggest problem right now is putting the puck in the net. How many times have we scored 3 or more goals recently?

Threads : 150

Think they're resting on their laurels too much?

Meaning...last year they played their *** off for Feb/March and rode the wave of playing well, essentially playoff intensity hockey during that time, in the regular season. They carried that momentum into the playoffs and never looked back. They didn't have to "turn it on" once the playoffs started, they were already there for all intents and purposes.

Now this year though, they've had a very good regular season, can still easily get over 100 pts and a 2 seed, but they just seem to be relaxing too much at this time. The urgency isn't there. That Detroit team yesterday looked like us last year at this time. Did we control the puck at all? I only say that half facetiously. I couldn't even watch the game it was just such a mess.

Anyway, time will tell, and they can still ramp it up when the time is right, but as of now it just doesn't 'feel' right.

Quote Originally Posted by Beezy View Post
    I have been thinking that but now I am kinda thinking that this team is just not as good as they were last year or maybe even the year before that. I hate to be a moaner and the timing makes it seem like I am just disappointed with them the last few games and I am but if you really think about it we have a few things that are downgraded from previous teams and a lot of it is on defense. I certainly wouldn't put it all on them tho, we have more problems that that and the forwards can defo step it up and I think they will but are they going to be able to step up enough to go on a deep run? It is possible and MAF could step up too but I am not sure there are going to be better days with our current D roster.
    Any team is only as good as it wants to be. The 07-08 roster that lost in the finals to the Red Wings IMO was far superior to the roster that won the Cup last season. Last years team won, because they wanted it more, had that bad taste in their mouth, learned a little bit.

I don't think there's a big drop off in this team from last years on paper. Problem is that right now we've got a liot of players not playing as well as they did last season (Gonchar, Malkin, Fleury) and guys like Letang and Eaton aren't playing well enough to make anyone forget about Rob Scuderi and Hal Gil

But... we've seen this team and players turn it on and win a cup. we know that it's there... Bylsma needs to find a way to get it out and perhaps the only way it comes out is when this team and players are staring at the same uphill type of battle they used as their motivation last season

Quote Originally Posted by vandelay industries View Post
    Think they're resting on their laurels too much?

Meaning...last year they played their *** off for Feb/March and rode the wave of playing well, essentially playoff intensity hockey during that time, in the regular season. They carried that momentum into the playoffs and never looked back. They didn't have to "turn it on" once the playoffs started, they were already there for all intents and purposes.

Now this year though, they've had a very good regular season, can still easily get over 100 pts and a 2 seed, but they just seem to be relaxing too much at this time. The urgency isn't there. That Detroit team yesterday looked like us last year at this time. Did we control the puck at all? I only say that half facetiously. I couldn't even watch the game it was just such a mess.

Anyway, time will tell, and they can still ramp it up when the time is right, but as of now it just doesn't 'feel' right.
    I'm on board with all of that. This team feels similar to the 07-08 team without the big offensive boost of Hossa's arrival. Sort of stumbling around in the month of March, playoffs are made, the urgency isn't there and when the playoffs started this team pulled a 360. Until we played Detroit in the finals that 07-08 Pens team was steam rolling through the playoffs

Well I defo think it is possible they could repeat let's put it that way. If they are playing their A game or even B game then I am not afraid of the teams out there.

Well I defo think it is possible they could repeat let's put it that way. If they are playing their A game or even B game then I am not afraid of the teams out there.
    I'm with ya Just need to get those A-B games out of the guys especially the main guy at the same time (Sid, Geno, MAF, Gonch, Staal). Those guys can't go invisible and rely on the wingers and depth to pull out wins

TheUnsportsmanlikes

Honestly, the Penguins just need the playoffs to start. They'll either be fine once they do or they won't. But enough over-analysis of their regular season problems already. Remember how bad their power play was last year? Well, it came to life starting with Bill Guerin's overtime winner against the Flyers and was fine the rest of the way through. They have all the key components, they just need the pressure to increase and they'll respond.

Threads : 47
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    But... we've seen this team and players turn it on and win a cup. we know that it's there... Bylsma needs to find a way to get it out and perhaps the only way it comes out is when this team and players are staring at the same uphill type of battle they used as their motivation last season
    That is why I think they need a kick in the *** or some type of motivation. Last year they had it going into the playoffs because they had to pick up their play or risk not getting in. This year they have been playing .500 hockey since the start of December and have struggled against the better teams. There is a danger that they won't be able to turn it around in time.

I think they can as well, I just think they need to get into the mood sooner rather than later. I would rather not wait until we are down 2-0 in the 1st round before we get motivated.

Quote Originally Posted by PSmitty View Post
    That is why I think they need a kick in the *** or some type of motivation. Last year they had it going into the playoffs because they had to pick up their play or risk not getting in. This year they have been playing .500 hockey since the start of December and have struggled against the better teams. There is a danger that they won't be able to turn it around in time.

I think they can as well, I just think they need to get into the mood sooner rather than later. I would rather not wait until we are down 2-0 in the 1st round before we get motivated.
    Yeah but 0-2 or 0-3 I can smell that coming a mile away. Have your heart medication prescriptions up to date.

Quote Originally Posted by TheUnsportsmanlikes View Post
    Honestly, the Penguins just need the playoffs to start. They'll either be fine once they do or they won't. But enough over-analysis of their regular season problems already. Remember how bad their power play was last year? Well, it came to life starting with Bill Guerin's overtime winner against the Flyers and was fine the rest of the way through. They have all the key components, they just need the pressure to increase and they'll respond.
    You brought up a point that I was thinking about myself....

• Perhaps the Penguins are simply bored with Regular Season play?

Maybe they are saving the intensity. Maybe they figure that the type of style, the pressure 2-2-1 possession system of the Bylsma's is more of a Playoff work house and tougher to do game by game from an intensity stand point?

They sure as **** look bored out there. they look lifeless at times like they are (as you said) just waiting for the real games to begin.

Good point about the PP as well. During the Regular season last year the PP finished 20th at about a 17.1% conversion rate. that's almost identical to this season but it bounced up to 20.3% in the Playoffs and that's against the best competition

Quote Originally Posted by PSmitty View Post

I think they can as well, I just think they need to get into the mood sooner rather than later. [HIGH-LIGHT]I would rather not wait until we are down 2-0 in the 1st round before we get motivated[/HIGH-LIGHT].
    That might be what it takes if Lou Ferrigno doesn't turn into the Incredible Hulk once the Regular Season ends. They aren't going to get some sort of outside motivation like a coaching change or being on the brink of not making the playoffs this year. This reminds me more of the 07-08 season... We finished March/April that year 11-5-1. It wasn't the 14-2-3 March/April finish last year. We're at 6-3-2 in March so far

Threads : 29

Apparently some Pens fans think keeping Martin Skoula would solve our problems.

Q: I never understood why the Pens did not play Martin Skoula regularly when he was here. The ineptness of Kris Letang, Alex Goligoski and Jordan Leopold is going to keep this team from making a long run in the playoffs. These guys are supposed to be offensive-minded defensemen, but they put no points on the board and they can't cover anyone. Next season when Sergei Gonchar is gone, what kind of defense are the Pens going to have left? Pretty awful, I think.

Bob Speidel, Mechanicsburg, Pa.

MOLINARI: There have been a lot of theories put forth about why the Penguins have had such an up-and-down season, but this might be the first that involves purported misuse of Martin Skoula.

He was signed a few days before the start of the regular season to give the Penguins some insurance on the blue line, and spent his time here as the No. 7 defenseman. He filled in quite capably the first time he was asked to, but the quality of his play eroded to the point that, when six other defensemen were healthy, Skoula was assured of spending game nights in street clothes.

(Skoula ultimately was sent to Toronto in the trade that brought Alexei Ponikarovsky to the Penguins, because the Penguins needed the salary-cap space taken up by Skoula's contract to handle that of Ponikarovsky. Less than a day later, the Maple Leafs traded him to New Jersey.) The Penguins have had some significant issues on their defense this season, and both Goligoski and Letang have struggled mightily at times. That reinforces the wisdom of the adage about the importance of giving defensemen and goaltenders enough time to get their games in synch at this level. That doesn't mean either will do it this season -- or ever, for that matter -- but there are real risks in writing off guys at their position prematurely.

As for the Penguins' defense next season, four guys -- Gonchar, Leopold, Jay McKee and Mark Eaton -- will be free to sign elsewhere this summer, so it's a little early to try to accurately project who will be manning their blue line when the 2010-11 season gets underway.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10083...#ixzz0j5WYqPKR

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information