Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tomlin denies reports Roethlisberger appealed for Arians

Threads : 691

Default Tomlin denies reports Roethlisberger appealed for Arians

Steelers' Tomlin denies reports Roethlisberger appealed for Arians
    Tuesday, March 23, 2010
    By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    Peter Diana/Post-GazetteSteelers head coach Mike Tomlin, left, and offensive coordinator Bruce Arians.ORLANDO, Fla. -- Ben Roethlisberger has been accused of doing many things lately. Steelers coach Mike Tomlin says there is one thing his quarterback did not do; he did not make an appeal to save his coordinator's job.

There were reports shortly after the Steelers' 2009 season ended that Tomlin planned to fire offensive coordinator Bruce Arians only to relent after Roethlisberger's plea to keep him.

"All false," Tomlin said Monday. "It's really a joke."

Tomlin spoke publicly for any length of time since he held a news conference Jan. 5, two days after the season ended without a playoff appearance for the Steelers. Tomlin subsequently fired several coaches but Arians was not among them. He said he was aware of the reports he was going to fire his offensive coordinator.

"I don't know where it came from," Tomlin said during a 30-minute interview at the NFL meetings. "I think it was generated by people outside of our building. I became aware of the confusion, but it wasn't something that was generated by us or through us so really I didn't have an opinion regarding it then, and I really don't now."

Tomlin agreed with team president Art Rooney's assertion to the Post-Gazette that the Steelers must run the ball more consistently than they did in 2009. And he said if they can find a fullback that suits the style of blocking to accomplish that -- as Dan Kreider did previously -- they will use him.

"We've got to run the ball more effectively in critical situations because that's how we desire to play football and it increases our chances of winning," Tomlin said. "It makes us a more dominant football team."

He said they hope to run better by working at it, which includes emphasizing it as well as executing it.

"It's a mentality. We've got to commit to doing it. Yes, ultimately when the ball's inside the white lines and we're playing football it's about execution. But it's also about planning, it's about preparation. It's a commitment, one that we're willing to continue to turn stones over to make sure that we're doing our very best to make sure we're great in those areas."

Among other notable topics Tomlin broached Monday:

Antwaan Randle El could be used in some ways how he was used before he left the Steelers as a free agent in 2006, including throwing the occasional pass and as a punt returner.

"I'm open to it developing. I'm not going to assume he's the same guy he was when he left here. Four years is a long time in football terms but we know what he's capable of."

On finding a running back to complement Rashard Mendenhall:

"Mewelde Moore has shown he's capable of that and he started five or six games and ran for 500, 600 yards in '08. He's shown capabilities in that area but we're not going to stop there. With the moves that we've made it's obvious that we're intent on creating competition. We believe that strengthens us. We've done that at linebacker. We've done so at safety. We've done so at wide receiver. If given the opportunity we'll continue to do so at running back."

On the health of linebacker Larry Foote, who did not play in Detroit's final two games because, one source said, he had a Lisfranc foot injury:

"I feel great about it. He passed our physical so I was comfortable with it."

On the chance Dennis Dixon will remain the No. 2 quarterback, after he moved into that job when Charlie Batch broke a wrist last season:

"He's a young guy who took a nice step between year one and year two. In terms of what he brings to the table, man, if he continues on that path I see no reason why he shouldn't."

Nearly three months later, on what went wrong in 2009 that kept his Super Bowl champs from making the playoffs, particularly their five-game losing streak:

"Because that was us. That's the story of the National Football League. It's one of the reasons I love it, man. You either do or you don't. We didn't.

"It was an uncomfortable stretch there for us all that highlights what we weren't. But the reality is we were not a playoff-caliber team. That's why we didn't make it."

Read more: http://postgazette.com/pg/10082/1044...#ixzz0iz7UOTTt
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

Threads : 5
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Tomlin denies reports Roethlisberger appealed for Arians

Why talk about it now? What good does it do the team or Tomlin as a coach? Just pull a no comment and press on.
    Hidden Content

Who needs the USC song girls?

Threads : 122

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why talk about it now? What good does it do the team or Tomlin as a coach? Just pull a no comment and press on.
    Cause Tomlin is a bull**** artist....

Nearly three months later, on what went wrong in 2009 that kept his Super Bowl champs from making the playoffs, particularly their five-game losing streak:

Bull****: "Because that was us. That's the story of the National Football League. It's one of the reasons I love it, man. You either do or you don't. We didn't.

"It was an uncomfortable stretch there for us all that highlights what we weren't. But the reality is we were not a playoff-caliber team. That's why we didn't make it."

Reality: "Because we couldn't cover Stephan Hawkings in his motorized wheelchair if we had to. We had no redzone offense just like 2008. We put up 6 on the ****tiest team in the league cause our offensive coordinator was completely outcoached."

Maybe in a market that not as football savvy as Pittsburgh, a coach could have pulled that off. But even 12 year old girls in Pittsburgh know why the Steelers sucked last year.
    Hidden Content

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Let's just see how Tomlin responds to the first real adversity he has faced since being here. He has fired coaches and hopefully lit a fire under Arians's *** to get his attention.
    Without Smith and Troy, this was not a playoff team, as was painfully obvious. Tomlin has said goodbye to TC and Deshea and brought back Foote and ARE, along with bringing in Will Allen for safety depth. Hampton and Clark(who is better when Troy is playing) have been locked up.
    With 10 picks in the draft, Tomlin will add good youth to the Defense. Youth and depth will help greatly.
    All coaches are bull****ters. He never made excuses last year, but he also knew/knows that the back up talent was a serious drop-off from Aaron and Troy. Should he have publicly stated that Gay, TC and Townsend suck, or Brucey for that matter? No, that's ours and the mediots job. I'm gonna wait and see how he gets the team to respond this season, before I judge whether he's the man or not.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Threads : 23
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

We've got to run the ball more effectively in critical situations because that's how we desire to play football and it increases our chances of winning,

I wish he hadn't spouted that bull**** like it was his idea.

What a ****ing joke man. We know how that went down. He was TOLD TO RUN MORE and he acts like it's his call. **** that.
    Sweet *** sig thanks to Kipper.Hidden Content

Threads : 413

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    Cause Tomlin is a bull**** artist....

Bull****: "Because that was us. That's the story of the National Football League. It's one of the reasons I love it, man. You either do or you don't. We didn't.

Reality: "Because we couldn't cover Stephan Hawkings in his motorized wheelchair if we had to. We had no redzone offense just like 2008. We put up 6 on the ****tiest team in the league cause our offensive coordinator was completely outcoached."
    That's funny. Sadly true, but still funny.

Threads : 122

Quote Originally Posted by Steelreign View Post
    Without Smith and Troy, this was not a playoff team, as was painfully obvious.
    I completely disagree with this. During our losing streak we lost to the freaking Browns and the Raiders. After that streak we beat Baltimore and Green Bay, both playoff teams. We missed the playoffs by one game.

You lose to those teams because you don't have on-field leadership.

Sorry to say that, but it's true.
    Hidden Content

Threads : 52
    Sports Logo

sometimes a think these crazy rumors get started on discussion boards!

Threads : 407
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    I completely disagree with this. During our losing streak we lost to the freaking Browns and the Raiders. After that streak we beat Baltimore and Green Bay, both playoff teams. We missed the playoffs by one game.
    Exactly...we both won and lost games without Troy and Smith...granted we may have won more with them....however we won some big games without them. The Browns loss....was a complete team melt down loss....from coaches to players.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

All I am saying is, having good on field leadership is a major element in playoff teams, and we lost a lot of it when Smith and Troy went down. Talentwise, the Defense wasn't nearly as good without those two either.
    A playoff team would not have surrendered 300+ yards to Gradkowski and would have closed out Oakland, KC and would have hung Cleveland out to dry.
    We snatched defeat from the jaws of victory 5 times in the 4th quarter this year. Playoff teams don't do that.
    How many returns for TD's did our Kick/Punt coverage teams give up? 5 or so? Playoff teams don't do that.
    Playoff Teams have solid Redzone offenses that put the ball in the endzone, and can run the ball when they need to, We can't. Missing the playoffs by one game means what? We were NOT a Playoff Team.

Threads : 407
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Steelreign View Post
    All I am saying is, having good on field leadership is a major element in playoff teams, and we lost a lot of it when Smith and Troy went down. Talentwise, the Defense wasn't nearly as good without those two either.
    A playoff team would not have surrendered 300+ yards to Gradkowski and would have closed out Oakland, KC and would have hung Cleveland out to dry.
    We snatched defeat from the jaws of victory 5 times in the 4th quarter this year. Playoff teams don't do that.
    How many returns for TD's did our Kick/Punt coverage teams give up? 5 or so? Playoff teams don't do that.
    Playoff Teams have solid Redzone offenses that put the ball in the endzone, and can run the ball when they need to, We can't. Missing the playoffs by one game means what? We were NOT a Playoff Team.
    I could totally agree with your theory if......we had lost to the Browns 42-35. But the D did what they needed to...without Troy and Smith...and the D did what they needed to against Green Bay......without them.....the O shows up for Green Bay....but not Cleveland? Can't hang it on the Troy and Smith missing leadership theory.

I believe I also mentioned the offense being horrible in the Redzone and the failings of special teams coverage units also contributing to the Steelers not being a playoff team.
    They also lack/lacked quality depth on the defensive side of the ball, to go along with deplorable play calling. Each unit played a part in the Steelers not being a Playoff team.
    The Steelers Have Playoff talent on the roster, no doubt about it. If however, the areas of question are not properly addressed, they won't be a playoff team this season either.

Threads : 23
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm not sure that just one leader could've prevented that losing streak. I hate to put it on one person's shoulders. If Troy had been in, sure it would've been different.

But you don't lose to those ****ty *** teams because of one guy, we lost those games because the whole ****ing unit took them lightly.
    Sweet *** sig thanks to Kipper.Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information