Thread: Crosby vs. Cedeno

Threads : 135
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Crosby vs. Cedeno

Ok, so ST is rounding the corner and we're headed toward the first week of April. We've talked about the 5th starter. We've talked about the bench. We've talked about the bullpen and 1B/RF. The interesting thing is that we really have not truly addressed the SS position.

Bobby Crosby vs. Ronny Cedeno.

Crosby has looked good this spring. In my opinion has looked better than Cedeno. When he first came up he had power potential and could hit well...he got injured and lost that. He looks decently healthy this spring so far. He's hit 3 HR and 9 RBI while hitting .276.

Certainly ST numbers are really not that significant nor are they truly telling about how one will do during the regular season. However he has looked strong and thus the question is this:

Crosby or Cedeno?
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Crosby vs. Cedeno

It does(thankfully) we already know the answer to this - Ronny Cedeno. It's his job to lose and Management wants to give him a fair chance to succeed or fail like Jeff Clement. Much like Church is for Clement as fall back options, Bobby Crosby is that for Ronny Cedeno.

That said, you know my feeling on ST stats. Eliminate ST numbers and look at what both of these guys have done at the MLB level and outside of Crosby's big time fluke rookie year 5-6 years ago, they are very similar players. Cropsby is likely slightly better defensively, but not much to make any difference between the 2.

I think too many people are looking at ST stats as a final answer and IMO that is a mistake. Just like the Delwyn Young argument. Nobody was even thinking about Young prior to him having a good ST and now all of the sudden;y he's being appointed as a fan favorite to win a starting job and his actual performance and results in meaningful games against meaningful competition is being throw out the window and intentionally ignored.

We must withstand getting drawn in by useless Spring Training stats
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 45

I like what Delwyn Young is, a nice bat off the bench. He's one of those guys that's never showed enough power to be a corner bat and he's not good enough defensively to be a middle infielder or centerfielder. What I would like to see is him become adequate defensively so he could be a backup at 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and the corner outfield spots. That's likely his niche. As far as Cedeno and Crosby, I agree with Kip, it's Cedeno's job to lose. If he plays like he did last year, he'll be on the bench by the end of may and Crosby will play from there forward.

Threads : 138

"...in the second, it unraveled quickly. Cedeno, the incumbent shortstop, made errors on consecutive grounders, the second an apparent double-play ball that would've ended the inning. ...

Cedeno muffed a backhand attempt on Jose Molina with one out in the second. Then, with Joey Gathright batting, he simply dropped another routine grounder -- one that would most likely have been the start of an inning-ending double play. That opened the door to the three-run inning,..."

Maybe Cedeno at SS isn't a done deal yet...

Threads : 85

I believe that Crosby is 30 now, and you would think if his bat was going to come around it would have by now, Cedeno i think is 27, and has show some pretty good flashes with the bat. So my vote is Cedeno unless he becomes an error machine, then id rather see Crosby play defense and get a lucky hit now and again.

Threads : 135

Quote Originally Posted by jleisele58 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I believe that Crosby is 30 now, and you would think if his bat was going to come around it would have by now, Cedeno i think is 27, and has show some pretty good flashes with the bat. So my vote is Cedeno unless he becomes an error machine, then id rather see Crosby play defense and get a lucky hit now and again.
    Wasn't there some excuse for Crosby's poor hitting? Like a back injury or something? I can't recall.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Threads : 66
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Aren't the Dodgers dangling an Asian SS that we were rumored to be going after awhile back? I was reading about him (can't remember his name...bugging the hell outta me) and he's good defensively. I was wondering why we're not going after him.

Threads : 85

Quote Originally Posted by BigBen2112 View Post
    Wasn't there some excuse for Crosby's poor hitting? Like a back injury or something? I can't recall.
    Well i found this one from 2006
    http://articles.sfgate.com/2006-11-22/sports/17321546_1_fracture-stress-bobby-crosby/2

i also found reports of a calf strain that put him on the DL, im really having a hard time finding an injury history on him.

Threads : 45

Quote Originally Posted by LeeFoo View Post
    Aren't the Dodgers dangling an Asian SS that we were rumored to be going after awhile back? I was reading about him (can't remember his name...bugging the hell outta me) and he's good defensively. I was wondering why we're not going after him.
    Ching Hing-Lu or something like that.

Threads : 691

Quote Originally Posted by LeeFoo View Post
    You mean Chin-lung Hu ? I don't think he hits much. The Pirates have a similar player in Argenis Diaz in the minors.
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

Threads : 1817

Quote Originally Posted by BigBen2112 View Post
    There's always been an excuse for Crosby not being able to hit. Problem is that outside of hitting 22 homers in his rookie season (has never hit double digits since) despite batting in the 220's and having 1 season (2005) hitting .276, the guy hasn't hit above .239 in a season.
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 2

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    There's always been an excuse for Crosby not being able to hit. Problem is that outside of hitting 22 homers in his rookie season (has never hit double digits since) despite batting in the 220's and having 1 season (2005) hitting .276, the guy hasn't hit above .239 in a season.
    I'd almost rather have a Mendoza-style SS than have the new Dr. Strangeglove (Cedeno) providing nightly thrills. Too much of this team's fortunes rests on defense, given the pitching staff. To put it another way I'd rather see the Pirates lose 3-2 than 8-4; any offensive advantage Cedeno has over Crosby isn't worth what we've seen in the field the past couple of days.
    Hidden Content Jacket photograph motifed baseball board game of Epoch Inc. Epoch is putting "Sunday vs Magazine Baseball Boar Game" on the market collaborated with charactors of Weekly Shounen Sunday and Weekly Shounen Magazine now. MAJOR's hero Goro Shigeno (茂野吾郎)'s character card will be sold in the future.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information