Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oh, my! Enberg leaves NCAA hoops for Padres

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Oh, my! Enberg leaves NCAA hoops for Padres

Oh, my! Enberg leaves NCAA hoops for Padres
    By Michael Hiestand, USA TODAY

Dick Enberg, who Saturday works what presumably will be his last NCAA tournament broadcast, predates March Madness.

He first called tournament games in 1961, including the final of the 24-team tournament in which Cincinnati beat Ohio State "with Bob Knight on the bench" and the broadcast only aired in the two schools' home TV markets. "In those days, it was March mildness."

Enberg's TV basketball will end with his calling one of CBS' Elite 8 games with Jay Bilas in Syracuse on Saturday, but he notes, "I'm not dying." After 15 years of "flirtations" with calling baseball his favorite sport and "the best announcer sport" Enberg this season becomes a San Diego Padres announcer. He says the "roadblock" that kept him from calling baseball was that he'd have to give up the NCAA tournament. But getting a baseball job in San Diego, where he's a longtime resident, "was the ultimate selling point."

College basketball is clearly Enberg's lucky sport. He began as UCLA's broadcaster on Lew Alcindor's first game and called Bruins teams that won eight NCAA titles in nine years. "You always knew who was going to win. ... But that was my entree to the networks."

Calling NCAA games for NBC and then CBS, he picked up plenty of memories except about the 1981 North Carolina-Indiana final. President Reagan had been shot earlier that day. "I thought there was no way they'd play; the president could be dying for all we knew. ... I have no memory of what happened in that game."

But he can recall the birth of his trademark catchphrase. Having won a broadcasting audition while a graduate student at Indiana in 1957, "I needed a catchphrase. But I thought all the good ones had been taken, like 'Holy cow!' and 'Holy Toledo!' But 'Oh, my!' has been a friend of mine for more than 50 years."

They'll keep hanging out. Enberg will continue calling Wimbledon and the Australian Open on ESPN and hopes to keep working CBS' U.S. Open and, after baseball season, some CBS NFL games "I understand I wouldn't do prime games, but that's OK."

In other words, says Enberg, "Don't put RIP on me yet."

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/colum...g-uecker_N.htm
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

sjdrewk

Default Re: Oh, my! Enberg leaves NCAA hoops for Padres

One of my favorite NFL broadcasting duo's was Dick Enberg and Merlin Olsen.

Enberg was the absolute best IMO.... I actually read his biography.... Very humble, very interesting.

The guy started from nothing and worked into a great deal via effort...

I have the utmost respect for the man, and suggest his book to anyone that still reads...
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

sjdrewk

Yep, I've always admired guys like Olsen and Enberg- the ability to carry yourself with dignity and class in the broadcasting world when others did not is something to admire- I have always held people with class in high regard.

Quote Originally Posted by sjdrewk View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yep, I've always admired guys like Olsen and Enberg- the ability to carry yourself with dignity and class in the broadcasting world when others did not is something to admire- I have always held people with class in high regard.
    Agreed.... He has done so with much more than others in his field as of late.

.... Seriously though, his book was a great read, and I recommend it to everyone. I read it cover-to-cover, and it was a great book... Check it out if you are into great, intriguing reads.... The things he talks about, and was a part of, are absolutely incredible!

sjdrewk

You know what? I think I will.

You know what? I think I will.
    If you are seriously gonna read it, I can mail you the book... Bob had read my copy while he was recouperating from his heart surgery, and is done with it now, though.

... But don't make me mail it if you won't read it....

Just let me know.

sjdrewk

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    If you are seriously gonna read it, I can mail you the book... Bob had read my copy while he was recouperating from his heart surgery, and is done with it now, though.

... But don't make me mail it if you won't read it....

Just let me know.
    Ah, man, that is kind of you. Let me see if I can find it at the SJ library first or at the Barnes and Noble, so as to save you the trouble of mailing a book.
  • Reply With Quote Reply With Quote   ...to the topTop

Ah, man, that is kind of you. Let me see if I can find it at the SJ library first or at the Barnes and Noble, so as to save you the trouble of mailing a book.
    If you can find it at the library, cool.... But no need to buy it at B&N when I can send it to you for a fraction of the cost....

.... Just let me know. You KNOW that I have no problem sending it to you... It's a great read, and if someone else can get use out of the book, then it's a good situation IMO.

You'd enjoy it.... If you could fit it into your schedule a few weeks from now.

sjdrewk

If you can find it at the library, cool.... But no need to buy it at B&N when I can send it to you for a fraction of the cost....

.... Just let me know. You KNOW that I have no problem sending it to you... It's a great read, and if someone else can get use out of the book, then it's a good situation IMO.

You'd enjoy it.... If you could fit it into your schedule a few weeks from now.
    Yeah, unfortunately in 10 days or so I won't have time to read things out of pure pleasure so if I buy it at B&N or borrow it from the library then it wont be a problem.

And I know you don't mind. That's the thing about you, very generous. I'm going to head over to the SJlibrary website after I hit send. I will let you know if they have it then I can check it out from the library.

sjdrewk

Well the Library didn't have the book but I found it on amazon used for 1 penny plus shipping. I will buy it. It's actually cheaper than you shipping it. But I appreciate the offer, bro.

Cool....

... Trust me, you will enjoy it!.....

sjdrewk

Cool....

... Trust me, you will enjoy it!.....
    I know I will if you recommend it. You've never steered me wrong .

sjdrewk

Speaking of books, remember back to last year when we were all wondering about Dan Rooney's book. Did you ever get around to reading it?

Speaking of books, remember back to last year when we were all wondering about Dan Rooney's book. Did you ever get around to reading it?
    Yea man... Actually I read it about a year and a half ago.... LoL!

.... I also have that one, if you are interested. It's also a great read that spells-out alot of the major events in the NFL, as well as those within the organization... LoL!....

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information