Threads : 206
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Winter Classic likely at Heinz Field

Consider the source....

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10087/1046280-61.stm

Winter Classic likely at Heinz Field

Sunday, March 28, 2010
    By Dave Molinari, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

A few details still have to be addressed, but things are falling into place for the Penguins and Washington to play the NHL's 2011 Winter Classic at Heinz Field Jan. 1.

There is no word on when an official announcement will come. The NHL traditionally does not make one until mid-summer, around the time the coming season's schedule is released.

Neither the Penguins nor the league will confirm that the game will played here.

It takes approximately two weeks to build and prepare an outdoor rink like the kind used in the NHL's New Year's Day games, so the Steelers' schedule will have to be tailored to allow for that work to be done.

They are expected to play a home game Thursday, Dec. 23, then finish the regular season on the road the following weekend. NFL schedules will be released next month.

There will be a "rain date" set in the event the game cannot be played outdoors Jan. 1, but it is not known if that has been done yet.

PNC Park has been ruled out as a possible site for the game and, from all indications, never was a serious candidate to play host to it, primarily because of the larger seating capacity at Heinz Field.

The Penguins played at Ralph Wilson Stadium in Buffalo in the inaugural Winter Classic in 2008. They defeated the Sabres, 2-1, in a shootout, with Sidney Crosby scoring the deciding goal.

Threads : 0
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Winter Classic likely at Heinz Field

If it happens, and if I could afford it, this would probably be the one non-Detroit involved NHL game that would be worth going to see.

The only downside is now we have to listen to a gazillion more "NBC is Nothing But Crosby"-esque comments for the next nine months.

sjdrewk

That would be really sweet!

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'd absolutely love to see it... Sorta suprised that PNC was ruled-out. Couldn't they put up some sort of "temporary seating"?... Anyone know what the seating capacity is at PNC vs Fenway? I know Fenway is more, but is it THAT much more?

... Sidenote: I had heard rumors that this is the final season for the "baby blue" sweaters. Can anyone confirm or deny?
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 34

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'd absolutely love to see it... Sorta suprised that PNC was ruled-out. Couldn't they put up some sort of "temporary seating"?... Anyone know what the seating capacity is at PNC vs Fenway? I know Fenway is more, but is it THAT much more?

... Sidenote: I had heard rumors that this is the final season for the "baby blue" sweaters. Can anyone confirm or deny?

I can confirm this is the last season for the god awful baby blue sweaters...THANK GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't have a link to where I heard it, but trust me, I definitely heard it, because I hate those things soooo bad, it stuck in my mind.

I think PNC is aprox 35K, and heinze is aprox 65K...not sure on that, but That is what I remember, so it makes sense that if chosing between the two, they would prefer heinze...I just can't believe the steelers would allow this. That field sucks as it is, let alone playing a hockey game on it right before the playoffs!!! Oh well, if Ben gets cut, we probably won't make the playoffs next year anyway.
    The only player in the NHL more overpaid than MAF is Jordan Staal

Threads : 3263

Thanx... I heard it somewhere as well, but couldn't find it in print about the sweaters...

Yea, Heinz is gonna be alot more, but I was sorta wondering about the comparison of PNC to Fenway, since they had the Classic there this past season (both baseball venues)... Hell, as long as it's in Pgh and has the Pens, I don't really care I guess.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 0

According to Wiki, PNC Park's capacity is 38,496 (2008), and Fenway's is 37,402 for night games, 36,974 for day games (2010).

I like having it in a football stadium though. The location won't matter much because the Sid vs. Ovie thing is going to attract viewers on its own, but I don't want to see it in another ballpark this year.

also, wrigley field is about 41,000 capacity...

Threads : 47

I hope we go with a gold jersey as our third next year. Does anyone know what we will use as our thirds next year? Pittsburgh hosting the winter classic would be nice. I heard that at the world championships this year, Germany the host is playing the US at a soccer stadium.

Threads : 82

Quote Originally Posted by PSmitty View Post
    I hope we go with a gold jersey as our third next year. Does anyone know what we will use as our thirds next year? Pittsburgh hosting the winter classic would be nice. I heard that at the world championships this year, Germany the host is playing the US at a soccer stadium.
    I am saving up now for these tickets

Quote Originally Posted by Beezy View Post
    I am saving up now for these tickets
    the classic? the world championships? both?

Threads : 206
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I hate the idea of Bettman trying to cram the Sid/Ovary rivalry down our throats. It's so Kobe/LeBron! This is obviously an attempt to gain more exposure for Ovechkin! Because if you put the Caps in this game vs any team besides Pittsburgh, no one watches! I'd rather see Pens/Flyers or Pens/Wings. IMO, people, all over the country, would still watch those games!

As a hockey fan, I'd like to see other teams involved, especially the Canadian teams. Thinking outside the box...Maybe they could have a "Boxing Day Classic!" (Dec. 26th) w/two Canadian teams playing. I'm home Dec. 26th... I'd watch. It's either that or the Little Caesar's (Motor City) Bowl!

What about a neutral site Winter Classics, like the bowl games. Habs vs Leafs in Hamilton (@Tiger Cats stadium) would be cool or Pens vs Maple Leafs in Buffalo. I guarantee that would be a sellout! Or play two games... one Habs vs Sabres on Dec 26th and Pens vs Leafs on New Years Day? Heck, the Bills won't make the playoffs! Let's tie up Rich Stadium for a month!!! Rags vs Sabres on a week night! I'd watch! Bring in the Florida teams, LA, PHO!!!
    Last edited by (419)BlackNGold; Mar-28-2010 at 01:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by (419)BlackNGold View Post
    I hate the idea of Bettman trying to cram the Sid/Ovary rivalry down our throats. It's so Kobe/LeBron! This is obviously an attempt to gain more exposure for Ovechkin! Because if you put the Caps in this game vs any team besides Pittsburgh, no one watches! I'd rather see Pens/Flyers or Pens/Wings. IMO, people, all over the country, would still watch those games!

As a hockey fan, I'd like to see other teams involved, especially the Canadian teams. Thinking outside the box...Maybe they could have a "Boxing Day Classic!" (Dec. 26th) w/two Canadian teams playing. I'm home Dec. 26th... I'd watch. It's either that or the Little Caesar's (Motor City) Bowl!

What about a neutral site Winter Classics, like the bowl games. Habs vs Leafs in Hamilton (@Tiger Cats stadium) would be cool or Pens vs Maple Leafs in Buffalo. I guarantee that would be a sellout! Or play two games... one Habs vs Sabres on Dec 26th and Pens vs Leafs on New Years Day? Heck, the Bills won't make the playoffs! Let's tie up Rich Stadium for a month!!! Rags vs Sabres on a week night! I'd watch! Bring in the Florida teams, LA, PHO!!!
    I don't like the idea of more than one outdoor game. I love it right now, as it is. It's kinda like the Blue Jerseys...I liked them until they started cramming them down our throats every other game.

Quote Originally Posted by (419)BlackNGold View Post

I think the neutral site games wouldn't really be feasible as the classic is considered a home game with home revenues for one team. Although i agree that a game involving the Leafs or the Habs would draw a good hockey crowd, would a Canadian team draw as well on NBC mainstream?

Threads : 35
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I wish they would bring back the Powder Blue's for this, and also I hate that its against Washington, I wish it was Philly, the cross state rivalry.. Washington and their SEMEN in OVARY team
    formerly known as Eagle7187

• Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information