Thread: The NHL league thoughts

Threads : 47
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default The NHL league thoughts

Just a few random thoughts about the overal game itself. i know this won't happen, but if it was up to me this is how it would go. Feel free to give thoughts or your own suggestions/preferences.

So there are a few teams that are struggling financially. I don't particularly care for the bailout approach when it comes to NHL franchises in places that that they can't make money. I was thinking about this the other day with regards to possibly relocating a couple of teams and contracting a couple of teams to bring the total number from 30 to 28. 14 in each conference.

The teams
    1)Move Phoenix back to Winnipeg (stays in the western conference)
    2)Move TB to KC (switch to the western conference).
    3)Eliminate Florida and Atlanta and have a draft lottery for their players.
    4)Move the NY Islanders to Milwaukee (switch to the western conference)
    5) Move Detroit, Nashville and Columbus to the eastern conference.

The Schedule
    1)no more divisions
    2) each teams plays the other 13 teams in their conference 4 times (2 home 2 away) for a total of 52 games.
    3) each team plays 2 games (home and home) against the other conferences 14 teams for a total of 28 games.
    4) this results in an 80 game schedule with the top 8 in each conference making the playoffs.
    5) eliminate the allstar game and use the winter classic in it's place. Saving a few days reserved for the all star break and eliminating 2 games each year should mean that the regular season is finished by the end of march and the playoff are finished by the end of May.
    6) have the 2 Stanley cup finalists make the trip to Europe to start the season.

I have thought about how a Euro division could be incorporated into the NHL and I really don't see how the traveling and schedule could be made to work.

Threads : 206
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: The NHL league thoughts

I'm not sure moving bad teams to new cities will make much difference. Without a commitment from owners to win, the team will still suck! Should fans lose their team, because the owner(s) suck? Let's be honest, some owners don't care about winning... just making money! Moving teams will actually play into the hands of the millionaire owners! They'll have a new fan base to bleed dry!!!

I agree that there are too many teams. But I'm not sure the league will ever consider contraction. IMO, the league should impose some sort of "Standards" for a successful franchise. Measurable benchmarks, like any business would have, on progess being made to build a playoff caliber team. Force owners put together a successful team or penalize them. The ultimate penalty would be forced sale of the franchise. ...All sport should have something similar. Greedy owners need to quit ripping us off! (Hey Ford family.... are you listen? Detroit Lions... rebuilding since 1957! )

I know that will never happen, because the owners would have to vote on it!

Threads : 82
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Pretty radical there imo. Was thinking more along the lines of no touch icing or some****

I think you have to give the teams in the south even more time to develop a culture around them. Even the Pens weren't much to the average Pittsburgher until the 90's.

Oh and really if you would like to see the NHL improve I think we need all new people in charge of the league. Clean house and start with new people. I really don't think things will progress with these ******bags in charge.

Threads : 47
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by (419)BlackNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm not sure moving bad teams to new cities will make much difference. Without a commitment from owners to win, the team will still suck! Should fans lose their team, because the owner(s) suck? Let's be honest, some owners don't care about winning... just making money!
    There is one very rich man trying hard to buy a stanley cup and the league is scared ****less of him!

Quote Originally Posted by Beezy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Pretty radical there imo. Was thinking more along the lines of no touch icing or some**** Yes

I think you have to give the teams in the south even more time to develop a culture around them. Even the Pens weren't much to the average Pittsburgher until the 90's.

Oh and really if you would like to see the NHL improve I think we need all new people in charge of the league. Clean house and start with new people. I really don't think things will progress with these ******bags in charge.
    I agree with cleaning house, but i am sick of trying to "grow" the game when there are existing markets that the game would thrive in.

Threads : 140
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I disagree with moving Tampa Bay. I think florida and atlanta should move, but not TB. Tampa has had a solid fanbase for a while, it's just that they've gone on a losing streak. Heck, they were averaging close to 20,000 fans for many years straight. Even during Pittsburghs lean years they had major trouble filling the building, but they've proven themselves at the gate.. And, in a few more years, I bet TB fans will be back as their team gets a lot better.

Florida and Atlanta are different stories though.

Threads : 140
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I disagree with moving Tampa Bay. I think florida and atlanta should move, but not TB. Tampa has had a solid fanbase for a while, it's just that they've gone on a losing streak. Heck, they were averaging close to 20,000 fans for many years straight. Heck, even during Pittsburghs lean years they had major trouble filling the building. But, in a few more years, I bet they will be back.

Florida and Atlanta are different stories though.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information