Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'Godzilla' Roars Back, Legendary Pictures to (Re)Americanize the Japanese Giant

sjdrewk

Default 'Godzilla' Roars Back, Legendary Pictures to (Re)Americanize the Japanese Giant

OH CHRIST, I am such a Godzilla fan!
    ===================================

'Godzilla' Roars Back, Legendary Pictures to (Re)Americanize the Japanese Giant
    by Peter Hall Mar 29th 2010 // 2:08PM
    Filed under: Sci-Fi & Fantasy, Deals, Warner Brothers, Remakes and Sequels

To the fans of Japan's finest cultural export since ninjas, I apologize. If you're someone who goes blurry-eyed with rage at the thought of Roland Emmerich's 1998 CGI-ification of Godzilla, you might want to find something hard to bite down on for this, but there's no point in delaying the inevitable: an American studio is once again bringing the giant monster to our shores.

Details are incredibly light at this point, but it looks like Variety has just confirmed that which Bloody Disgusting first reported back in August of '09: Legendary Pictures has officially obtained the rights to Godzilla. The studio will be co-producing and co-financing a new Godzilla film with Warner Brothers as their partners. Given that we're dealing with a city-destroying, radioactive behemoth, naturally his planned arrival will precede the end of the world. Yep, a new, American Godzilla will be hitting theaters in 2012.

Obviously it's easy to be cynical at this point, but Legendary Pictures have been up to a lot of good lately, enough so that I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. Without them we wouldn't have Batman Begins, 300, The Dark Knight, Trick 'r Treat, Watchmen or Where the Wild Things Are, so I'm willing to pry myself out of the fetal position for this one. There's even a note in the Variety piece from the CEO of Legendary Pictures, Thomas Tull, explaining that they intend to do the pop-culture icon Toho created over 50 years ago justice.

But what say you? Are you okay with another Americanization of Godzilla? Does Legendary Pictures' involvement bring you on board as well? Or are you defiantly chanting "Man In Suit!" over and over at this point?
    3 Comments

Threads : 88
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: 'Godzilla' Roars Back, Legendary Pictures to (Re)Americanize the Japanese Giant

*Shudders*

I need the men-in-suits approach. The '90s Emmerich version was a complete pile of arse gravy.

I remember, I went to see the Fakezilla flick on the same day as Lost in Space with my best buddy. We both expected good things of the Lizardy one and very little of Lost in Space. As it turned out, we both loathed Fakezilla and enjoyed Lost... Odd, that.
    'I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ***-kickers, ****-kickers and Methodists.'

sjdrewk

Default Re: 'Godzilla' Roars Back, Legendary Pictures to (Re)Americanize the Japanese Giant

I concur, War, I love the old 60s Godzilla. The newer versions are garbage.

sjdrewk

Oh, yes, I forgot to ask, does anyone know of a cheap source to buy all the Old King Kong and Godzilla movies from the 60s? I've been trying to collect the Godzilla movies for decades.

Threads : 88
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I love both the Daikaiju and Heisei eras, the Millennium stuff varies, but the moment Hollywood got it's paws on the concept, they choked.

At least Gamera never got that kind of treatment.
    'I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ***-kickers, ****-kickers and Methodists.'

sjdrewk

Quote Originally Posted by War Machine View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I love both the Daikaiju and Heisei eras, the Millennium stuff varies, but the moment Hollywood got it's paws on the concept, they choked.

At least Gamera never got that kind of treatment.
    Exactly, once Hollywood touches something, they ruin things. The monster era with Gamera, Godzilla, Ghidrah and Mothra, in the 60's were the best. I loved Godzilla v. MechaGodzilla and the monster Island flick with Baby 'Zilla blowing out donuts when Dad was teaching how to breath fire. Classic!
  • Reply With Quote Reply With Quote   ...to the topTop

Threads : 48
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I am the self proclaimed biggest Godzilla fan alive!!!I LOVE those movies.At one point,I had almost all of the movies on DVD or VHS.

sjdrewk

Quote Originally Posted by Les View Post
    I am the self proclaimed biggest Godzilla fan alive!!!I LOVE those movies.At one point,I had almost all of the movies on DVD or VHS.
    Remember those 23 inch Shogun Warriors? I had the Mazinga and the Godzilla! I wish I still had them.

Quote Originally Posted by sjdrewk View Post
    Remember those 23 inch Shogun Warriors? I had the Mazinga and the Godzilla! I wish I still had them.
    Yes,I even had a few.Do you remember G-Fan magazine?

sjdrewk

Yes,I even had a few.Do you remember G-Fan magazine?
    Yessir, I do. Did you subscribe to G-Fan? In the 70's I used to ride my bike to the 7-Elevan and buy A big gulp or a slurp, play some asteroids, the KISS and Playboy pinball machine and space invaders, then grab a Fangoria, and a few packs of tops baseball cards and buy a hulk comic, an Avengers , and a Defenders comic and ride home with all of this junk. loll 7/11 was awesome when I was a kid.

sjdrewk

Here's the Godzilla I use to have. My dad bought it for me at the now defunct King Normans toy store that is now a Chuck E Cheese on Tully rd in Sj off the 101:

sjdrewk

Here is the Mazinga I use to have:

I wish I still had these two Shogun Warriors. I feel like crying. lol

Quote Originally Posted by sjdrewk View Post
    Here's the Godzilla I use to have. My dad bought it for me at the now defunct King Normans toy store that is now a Chuck E Cheese on Tully rd in Sj off the 101:

Hahaha!!I used to have 3 of them.Never understood why his arm fired off though.Weird.

sjdrewk

Hahaha!!I used to have 3 of them.Never understood why his arm fired off though.Weird.
    3 bro, and you didn't keep one? That's worse than me! loll

-anyway, just in case you did not know, the story behind the G'Zilla shogun warrior 24 inch figure, because Godzilla has nothing to do with the Shogun Warriors is that Mattel USA was adamant that the US market needs to have a figure that would be recognizable to American in the US market so......

What I remember is my Godzilla was shorter than the Mazinga by a good margin.

sjdrewk

-anyone remember Jet Jaguar was in one of the Godzilla movies? I want that movie but I don't remember what the movie is called. I saw this movie in the early 80's so I don't remember.

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information