Thread: Silva vs Belfort

Threads : 67
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Silva vs Belfort

Monday, October 19, 2009
    by Lotfi Sariahmed (lotfi@sherdog.com)

A proposed middleweight championship bout between titleholder Anderson Silva and Vitor Belfort at UFC 108 on Jan. 2 in Las Vegas has yet to be cemented as Silva recovers from recent elbow surgery.

“It's not locked down yet,” Silva’s manager, Ed Soares, told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show on Monday. “We'd all like to take that fight on January 2nd. We're just waiting on the doctor approving of Anderson to train again. Until the doctor's approval, we can't confirm that fight. We're waiting on the doctor's release to be able to start training. He's doing physical therapy. He's doing OK. But the doctor knows best at this point.”

Soares has been outspoken about the bout that could have easily gone to contenders Dan Henderson or Nate Marquardt before Belfort dispatched Rich Franklin in just three minutes at UFC 103 on Sept 19 in Dallas. The bout, held at a 195-pound catch-weight, was Belfort’s first with the promotion since 2005.

“Like I've said before, we want to fight the best and Vitor Belfort right now I don't feel he deserves a title shot -- it's how we feel,” said Soares. “But at the end of the day we're not the matchmaker. We fight for the UFC and whatever the UFC wants we're going to stand behind and do. But it doesn't mean that we think it’s fair. I'd rather it be at 195 pounds, but if it’s for the title it's for the title.”

Meanwhile, Soares said his other champion client, UFC light heavyweight champion Lyoto Machida, is prepared for the vintage Mauricio “Shogun” Rua that streaked through Pride Fighting Championships’ middleweight grand prix in 2005. Machida makes his first title defense against the fellow Brazilian at UFC 104 this Saturday at the Staples Center in Los Angeles.

“I think that he's the same fighter, I just think that his performances haven't shown that,” said Soares. “But I think he's getting better. I think he had a good training camp. I definitely know that he didn't take this fight lightly so I guess we're going to have to see Saturday night. But I believe that Shogun has the tools to beat Lyoto. He does. And that's what's going to make this fight interesting.”

Soares also reiterated that Silva and Machida, friends and training partners at the team’s private Black House gym in Los Angeles, would never meet in the cage, despite the promotion’s best efforts to match them together at a later date.

“That won't happen,” said Soares. “Anderson is most likely going to be cornering Lyoto this fight.”

However, that doesn't mean Soares has ruled out every fight between his clients and teammates.

“I'll tell you one fight that's going to be a difficult one to go, Rogerio (Nogueira) is coming to the UFC, and I think if Rogerio puts on some good performances and Lyoto keeps on defending his title, that's going to be a fight that, unfortunately for us, is two of our guys fighting each other.”

sjdrewk

Default Re: Silva vs Belfort

I bet you that's how GSP feels....since GSP has kicked all the top ranked opponents *** in the past 10 months, all they have left for him is Quick Swick. I bet you Alves, Thiago, Fish(loll) and Kos can't wait until GSP moves out of the division! lol

I say Dana makes him move up. It's pointless for him to be there. Eventually everyone's gonna get tired of seeing GSP keep running through all these guys.

sjdrewk

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I say Dana makes him move up. It's pointless for him to be there. Eventually everyone's gonna get tired of seeing GSP keep running through all these guys.
    Yes, GSP is gonna get bored. There is nothing left for him to prove. I really think he's done everything in his weight class. What's left? Beat Alves again? Fitch? I mean really those are the top two guys for him and he's already beat them down hard. If GSP stays at 170 Dana is going to have to bring in challengers from elsewhere. Too boring to see him beat on the same guys. The crazy thing to think about is Fitch and Alves are awesome fighters and look how bad GSP beats them. GSP was hurt for half the Alves fight and GSP still killed him!

.........the I think for him the only thing left is to challenge Silva for his belt(Or if Silva moves to 205 go after SIlva's relinquished belt) and to hold two belts at once(Of course he'd have to give one up...that is if Dana lets him fight for two belts. Which I doubt.)that's all there is for him to accomplish, really.

Quote Originally Posted by sjdrewk View Post
    Yes, GSP is gonna get bored. There is nothing left for him to prove. I really think he's done everything in his weight class. What's left? Beat Alves again? Fitch? I mean really those are the top two guys for him and he's already beat them down hard. If GSP stays at 170 Dana is going to have to bring in challengers from elsewhere. Too boring to see him beat on the same guys. The crazy thing to think about is Fitch and Alves are awesome fighters and look how bad GSP beats them. GSP was hurt for half the Alves fight and GSP still killed him!

.........the I think for him the only thing left is to challenge Silva for his belt(Or if Silva moves to 205 go after SIlva's relinquished belt) and to hold two belts at once(Of course he'd have to give one up...that is if Dana lets him fight for two belts. Which I doubt.)that's all there is for him to accomplish, really.
    When BJ fought GSP last time it was for the WW belt so I think he would let GSP do the same thing unless he just likes BJ better

sjdrewk

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    When BJ fought GSP last time it was for the WW belt so I think he would let GSP do the same thing unless he just likes BJ better
    Oh yes, there is a precedent for this. So I guess it could happen. COme to think of it, Dana wants GSP and Silva to fight somewhere down the line. Remember the rumors and they actually asked GSP if he thought it would happen. I forgot what GSP said about a potential fight with Anderson.

Oh yes, there is a precedent for this. So I guess it could happen. COme to think of it, Dana wants GSP and Silva to fight somewhere down the line. Remember the rumors and they actually asked GSP if he thought it would happen. I forgot what GSP said about a potential fight with Anderson.
    “I’ve been thinking about it. It’s going to depend on the scenario. I have a lot of training partners at 185 and my weight class is 170. I would never get into the way of one of my training partners,” he stated. “I would never fight somebody I train with. But if one day, I have the opportunity, the way is clear, and I did everything I had to do in my division, of course I will (fight Silva).”
    "He had no teeth, and he was slobbering all over himself. I'm thinking, 'You can have your money back, just get me out of here. Let me go be an accountant." I can't tell you how badly I wanted out of there." Denver rookie QB John Elway, on Jack Lambert, after Lambert and the Steelers knocked Elway out of his first game as a pro (1983).

sjdrewk

Cool. I thought he was asked about it but I can never remember things exactly as the happened. Too much worthless knowledge cluttering my brain. lol
  • Reply With Quote Reply With Quote   ...to the topTop

Cool. I thought he was asked about it but I can never remember things exactly as the happened. Too much worthless knowledge cluttering my brain. lol
    I understand. I mean I had to google it to remember
    "He had no teeth, and he was slobbering all over himself. I'm thinking, 'You can have your money back, just get me out of here. Let me go be an accountant." I can't tell you how badly I wanted out of there." Denver rookie QB John Elway, on Jack Lambert, after Lambert and the Steelers knocked Elway out of his first game as a pro (1983).

• Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information