Thread: NCAA Expansion now thought to be "likely"

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default NCAA Expansion now thought to be "likely"

College presidents lean toward expanding NCAA field
    By Steve Wieberg / USA TODAY
    Posted: March 31, 2010

Division I schools - most notably their presidents - appear to be warming to a proposal to expand the NCAA men's basketball tournament.

Support has grown to the point that Big Ten Conference Commissioner Jim Delany, a former chairman of the committee that oversees the tournament and a critic of large-scale expansion, sees a move from 65 to 96 teams as likely, he said Tuesday.

"I said from Day 1 that I would support the decision that came out of the (NCAA's) Board of Directors, which ostensibly is linked back to the presidents (in) the conferences," Delany said. "And if that's where it ends up, I support that."

Asked how he expects the expansion issue to play out, he said, "It's probable."

The NCAA board will address the matter when it meets April 29 in Indianapolis. Oregon State President Ed Ray, a member of the panel and chairman of the top-level Executive Committee, wouldn't speculate on whether a decision would come then.

The NCAA is weighing expansion of the tournament in conjunction with talks with networks about a new television contract. It can opt out of the final three years of a current 11-year, $6 billion agreement with CBS, and must decide by this summer.

An expanded bracket - and 31 additional games with a move to 96 teams - would figure to bulk up rights fees. Whether it's enough to entice the NCAA to make the jump is yet to be determined.

School and conference officials have been briefed on expansion options and are "better informed and better prepared" to make a call, interim NCAA President Jim Isch said. But he and Ray declined to characterize sentiment on the board.

"Conventional wisdom must be that it's not impossible. Otherwise, I don't know why we'd have it scheduled for discussion," Ray said. "But I have absolutely no sense (of) whether it's probable or not."

http://www.indystar.com/article/2010...ing-NCAA-field
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

sjdrewk

Default Re: NCAA Expansion now thought to be "likely"

I don't like basketball at all but I do watch the tourney so I can talk with you all about it so I gotta say, I think it will be too much to expand it. When is enough, enough? It is all about more money. I don't think it is about anything else.

Threads : 206
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Bad idea!

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by (419)BlackNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bad idea!
    VERY... bad... idea... (in my opinion).
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

sjdrewk

.....this just in the first 2011, 96 field team match ups for the tournament have been announced:

#10 versus #23:
    University of Phoenix will take on Devry and the San Francisco Arts Academy will take on Heald College.

• Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information