Thread: Predictions for 2010

Threads : 40
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Predictions for 2010

Predictions for 2010 Season

1. Aki Iwamura will be traded by All-Star break. This guy is better suited batting second and I disagree with him leading off. The recall of Pedro will happen as soon as he passes the date where he would lose a full season to become a free agent. I did not understand why Laroche was not at least given some time at second base this year because I truly think that is where he ends up.

2. Either Duke or Maholm is traded before the deadline also. Despite being core players, being so far out of it by this time will ensure that one of them is traded. Letís just hope we donít do it to Boston or the Cubs as the last deals with those teams didnít turn out too great.

3. J.R. will be fired at some point to be the scapegoat for another losing year.

4. Ryan Doumit will stay healthy for a full year. He will lead the team in RBIs.

5. Andrew McCuthcen will make his first ALL-Star game.

6. Garrett Jones will lead the team in home runs.

7. I believe Jeff Clement will prove to be a productive hitter.

8. Zach Duke will lead starters in wins, innings and ERA, Olendorf will fall prey to the second year jinx. Dotel will do much better in save situations than Matt Capps did. He will save 25 games this year. Brandon Donnelly will be the set up man and the bullpen will be the strong point of the team.

9. At some point Crosby takes over for Cedeno as he has one too many mental blunders that cost them a game.

10. Pirates will not get the chance to draft Harper as he will go to the Nationals. Neal will say they didnít have him in the top five anyway.

11. Pirates finish with between 95-100 losses again, terrible start of the year but get slightly better with the recalls of Pedro and Lincoln. Tabata gets September call up as Clement and Jones do well enough to keep him in minors for most of year.

Last rants on the makeup of team, please do not go with 12 pitchers again. This is plain stupid. All it does is put us two men short. J.R. wonít use backup catcher because we are short on bench and this move puts him two bench players short on a team that needs an extra bench player way more than the 12th pitcher who basically never gets into a meaningful game, especially at the start of the year, if they need an extra pitcher, call one up and do a paper move on sending one down. I hate this crap every year, but even more this year as we are not protecting a Rule 5 Pitcher this year.

Keep McCutchen lead off for now. If Aki gets on, what is a right handed number two hitter going to do? Bunt him over? I donít understand this move at all.

Finally, there is only one team batting pitcher 8th, that tells me it is much more likely this is the wrong move and the Pirates are not smarter than every other team in baseball.

Would like to see what others think will happen this year.
    Last edited by rbilak; Apr-03-2010 at 12:07 PM. Reason: spelling

Threads : 135
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Predictions for 2010

And they get the #1 pick and select Rendon from Rice and move Alvarez to 3B and have one of the best 3B/1B combos in the majors for the next 5 years.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Threads : 40
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BigBen2112 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And they get the #1 pick and select Rendon from Rice and move Alvarez to 3B and have one of the best 3B/1B combos in the majors for the next 5 years.
    Having watched Pedro in the spring, he is definately able to play third, he has a very srong arm and he with the loss of weight very aigle. If they do get Rendon, it will still take him two years to get here, but for 3-4 years they will be strong.

Threads : 135
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by rbilak View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Having watched Pedro in the spring, he is definately able to play third, he has a very srong arm and he with the loss of weight very aigle. If they do get Rendon, it will still take him two years to get here, but for 3-4 years they will be strong.
    With a Rendon/Alvarez infield the bucs could contend (especially if they reach their potential)...plus add in some filler players along with McCutchen and Milledge we'd have a good offense.

The question would, still, be the pitching.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information