Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Screw those other 17 years

Threads : 3

Default Screw those other 17 years

“That’s why we’re here, to change it up,” Church said. “You can’t look at all this being written off already and this and that. Go out there and try to punch teams in the face and not lay down just because we’re the Pittsburgh Pirates.

Screw those other 17 years.”.

Nice little "feel good" article.

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sp...f-history.html

Threads : 94

Default Re: Screw those other 17 years

Quote Originally Posted by WeAreFamily View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    “That’s why we’re here, to change it up,” Church said. “You can’t look at all this being written off already and this and that. Go out there and try to punch teams in the face and not lay down just because we’re the Pittsburgh Pirates.

Screw those other 17 years.”.

Nice little "feel good" article.

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sp...f-history.html
    The Pirates may never lose another game.....

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

"Screw those other 17 years" .. that's a fantastic statement.

It is just one game and fans and players are all uplifted right now until they lose their first game and then the reminder of a 162 game schedule hits

Ryan Church is right in a way in that a team like the Pirates can catch teams off guard if they stay aggressive and stick with that mentality... unfortunately though you can use that type of will in baseball like you can in football where you out muscle another team or in hockey where you outhit and out hustle ... It has to be more mental for the Pirates
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 197

In the end these things don't really mean much, but it is kind of nice to have all the veterans that came in be really fired up about trying to win games rather than being the types that are just here to collect the paychecks like about 80% of the guys we've seen in the last 10+ years.

I am certainly prepared to lose some games this year. But I remain very excited and hopeful at the level and depth of talent and talent acquisition. The idea that there are at least three prospects knocking on the door, as McCutcheon did last year, provides even more excitement and hope.

Quote Originally Posted by jnn123 View Post
    In the end these things don't really mean much, but it is kind of nice to have all the veterans that came in be really fired up about trying to win games rather than being the types that are just here to collect the paychecks like about 80% of the guys we've seen in the last 10+ years.
    Vets that want to win are always important but you have to wonder if they all haven't come in wanting to win and when the losing takes over their outlook changes to one of collecting a paycheck?

Threads : 2

Quote Originally Posted by jnn123 View Post
    I look at it differently. The Pirates are not fielding the same collection of not-so-lovable losers they've tended to field in past years. This is a new, young team that doesn't have to take anything from any other team.
    Hidden Content Jacket photograph motifed baseball board game of Epoch Inc. Epoch is putting "Sunday vs Magazine Baseball Boar Game" on the market collaborated with charactors of Weekly Shounen Sunday and Weekly Shounen Magazine now. MAJOR's hero Goro Shigeno (茂野吾郎)'s character card will be sold in the future.

Threads : 691

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    Vets that want to win are always important but you have to wonder if they all haven't come in wanting to win and when the losing takes over their outlook changes to one of collecting a paycheck?
    Could very well be. Even the most mentally tough can get worn down after awhile.
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

Threads : 24

Except for Doumit, Duke and Maholm, the guys on this team haven't been around long enough to be socialized into the custom of Pirate losing. That's the refreshing part of not having JWilson, Sanchez, et al on the roster.

Of course they are going to have to win some games or they could easily be sucked into that 17 year abyss of losing. And they are going to have to develop a winning attitude for a prolonged period, not just a week, or even a month.

Quote Originally Posted by buccoray61 View Post
    Could very well be. Even the most mentally tough can get worn down after awhile.
    Yes, look at what happened to Derek Bell.
    Hidden Content Jacket photograph motifed baseball board game of Epoch Inc. Epoch is putting "Sunday vs Magazine Baseball Boar Game" on the market collaborated with charactors of Weekly Shounen Sunday and Weekly Shounen Magazine now. MAJOR's hero Goro Shigeno (茂野吾郎)'s character card will be sold in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by buccoman View Post
    And they are going to have to develop a winning attitude for a prolonged period, not just a week, or even a month.
    The cool thing we're seeing now that we didn't see so much in the past is if players do NOT perform like winners, they are demoted or traded (e.g. Moss)... there are prospects pushing their asses. For example, Milledge better keep up the intensity and produce because if he doesn't, Tabata is almost ready which could force Milledge out of a position.

I like Ryan Church a lot, both as a player and a person, and I was very happy when they brought him here. He's a courageous player with guts, he had two horrendous concussions when he was with the Mets which could have been potentially career ending, and he's got over it, though he wasn't helped when the Mets idiot medical team put him on a plane and flew him home from a road trip to Colorado a few hours after a big concussion, impact injuries to the skull/brain which always have the potential to cause blood clots, don't mix very well with flying at 50,000 feet in a decompressed airline cabin, he was lucky he didn't have a stroke. I like his fighting talk anyway, in theory at least there's no reason why 17 straight losing seasons means you are inevitably about to have your 18th, there's been other recent examples of clubs who have gone from worst-to-first virtually overnight (Rockies and Rays) though I think the team is still too young and not all that massively talented for them to contend for quite a while, but getting to .500 is a realistic goal for this year, the Reds and Astros look pretty bad teams on paper, it would help a lot if we could take a ****load of games from those two.

Quote Originally Posted by Mothman View Post
    I like Ryan Church a lot, both as a player and a person, and I was very happy when they brought him here. He's a courageous player with guts, he had two horrendous concussions when he was with the Mets which could have been potentially career ending, and he's got over it, though he wasn't helped when the Mets idiot medical team put him on a plane and flew him home from a road trip to Colorado a few hours after a big concussion, impact injuries to the skull/brain which always have the potential to cause blood clots, don't mix very well with flying at 50,000 feet in a decompressed airline cabin, he was lucky he didn't have a stroke. I like his fighting talk anyway, in theory at least there's no reason why 17 straight losing seasons means you are inevitably about to have your 18th, there's been other recent examples of clubs who have gone from worst-to-first virtually overnight (Rockies and Rays) though I think the team is still too young and not all that massively talented for them to contend for quite a while, but getting to .500 is a realistic goal for this year, the Reds and Astros look pretty bad teams on paper, it would help a lot if we could take a ****load of games from those two.
    Apparently there's at least one NY newspaper that has picked the Reds to win the Central Division. Whereas Bob Smizik says the Pirates are going to have a 58-104 record this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Mothman View Post
    I don't think anyone WANTS to be part of a losing season or a streak such as the Pirates. You have to think that players want to be part of that group that breaks the streak, that actually wins. Sometimes or most times I think it's often beyond the realm of the players desires themselves. sometimes teams just are constructed well enough to overcome those obstacles no matter how much the players want to.

I have however been taking in some large doses of Kool-Aid this offseason and I think that this team more than any team in recent memory have that outside chance of reaching .500. I'm not saying they will and a lot of questions would have to be answered positively but there's not huge holes that can't be made up like bad outfield defense killing contact pitching in 2008 that held back potent offensive production.

WAF... I created an Article based on something you said in this thread...

http://www.pittsburghsportstavern.co...ead.php?t=4054

Quote Originally Posted by night9hawk View Post
    Apparently there's at least one NY newspaper that has picked the Reds to win the Central Division. Whereas Bob Smizik says the Pirates are going to have a 58-104 record this year.
    @ Bob Smizik

and

@ the Reds winning the division.

The Reds sign chapman and all of the sudden, the NY media is slapping on chapstick and kneepads.

Reds fans better hope that Dusty Baker gets fired before he gets a hold of a young inexperienced 100 mph lefty. Chapman will go the way of all of the other high upside pitchers that Dusty has ruined. I'm waiting for Cueto to go down like Volquez did. Shame to see strong pitching talent that the Reds are picking up and their management is too stupid to not get rid of the one guy that can ruin it all.

an Bob Smizik even count to 58?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information