Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nick Diaz to Face Hayato 'Mach' Sakurai at Dream.14

Threads : 40

Default Nick Diaz to Face Hayato 'Mach' Sakurai at Dream.14

Strikeforce welterweight champion Nick Diaz will fight Hayato "Mach" Sakurai in a non-title bout at Dream.14 on May 29 in Japan, says Diaz's own camp, Team Cesar Gracie.

According to GracieFighter.com, Diaz was under consideration to face Dream welterweight champion Marius Zarmomskis in a rematch for the Dream title, but instead decided to match Diaz with a Japanese fighter to please Japanese fans.

An encounter between Diaz and Sakurai has been talked about for nearly two years, though interest in the fight is at its lowest now that Sakurai is coming off two straight losses. Diaz, at the time a fighter under contract with EliteXC, would have fought Sakurai for the then-vacant Dream welterweight title at Dream.5, but EliteXC needed Diaz for a featured fight on CBS taking place five days after the Dream.5 card.

Diaz defended his title at Strikeforce: Miami in January, beating Zaromskis in the first round with punches. Meanwhile, Sakurai has losses recently to Zaromskis by KO and Akihiro Gono by submission.

Dream has scheduled for Thursday at 1pm local time a press conference, where the Diaz-Sakurai fight, as well as further details on Dream.14 are expected to be announced.

sjdrewk

Default Re: Nick Diaz to Face Hayato 'Mach' Sakurai at Dream.14

Oh ****.....I am a Sakurai fan but I don't think he can beat Diaz at this stage in his career....but I'd never sell him short but ****, I can't see it happening.

it's crazy to think how young nick is. he has been around forever, it seems, and he is really only starting to hit his peak now.

you would think with that pitty-pat style he has, he'd be getting killed, but for whatever reason, guys can't seem to really hit him, anymore. KJ noons was the last guy to really put his hands on him and really hurt him.

sjdrewk

Quote Originally Posted by Twisted View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    it's crazy to think how young nick is. he has been around forever, it seems, and he is really only starting to hit his peak now.

you would think with that pitty-pat style he has, he'd be getting killed, but for whatever reason, guys can't seem to really hit him, anymore. KJ noons was the last guy to really put his hands on him and really hurt him.
    Nick is very underrated imo and he has been around forever and is still very young and basically has suffered very little damage unlike other fighters his age that have already been in wars. Diaz' style is so unique and is underestimated by many because it doesn't seem like he is hurting his opponent. Diaz is very dangerous because he is young but look at all the experience he has and he is just entering his prime. Like him or not, you have got to put him in the top 5 p4p.

sjdrewk

..I'll probably shed a tear for Sakurai when he gets pummeled by Diaz because Sakurai has been such a great fighter and he has a tremendous heart.

i loved when he KO'd aoki.

Threads : 7

poor Sak

Quote Originally Posted by HERETIC View Post
    poor Sak
    hasn't your wife been saying that about your sack for years???

sjdrewk

i loved when he KO'd aoki.
    Me too, I hate Shinya! I loved the look on Shinya's face after he found out he was ko'd. lol

...Shinya is one of the best fighters in the world, I'd love to see him and Diaz hook up. That would be one of the best match ups you can possibly have, imo.
  • Reply With Quote Reply With Quote   ...to the topTop

sjdrewk

...I forgot to say that Shinya is a ***** for what he did to the Sengoku champion. What a dirty *** fighter, not for so much *just* breaking the guy's arm but for the middle finger bs. I can't stand that crap.

(and Aside:
    ....Hirota was the Sengoku Champion that got his arm broke by Shinya for those that don't follow Dream)

aoki is a *****.

remember the first time he fought JZ? he couldn't continue from an elbow to the ****ing shoulder. suck it up, *****. you're supposed to be a professional fighter.

i want to see aoki fight BJ penn or GSP. GSP would ground and pound the holy **** out of him, and i think BJ would beat him everywhere, and take his time to enjoy it.

sjdrewk

aoki is a *****.

remember the first time he fought JZ? he couldn't continue from an elbow to the ****ing shoulder. suck it up, *****. you're supposed to be a professional fighter.

i want to see aoki fight BJ penn or GSP. GSP would ground and pound the holy **** out of him, and i think BJ would beat him everywhere, and take his time to enjoy it.
    Good point, I remember that Calvancante and Aoki fought but I don't remember exactly which Dream that was...I watch so many mma events that after a while they all just blend in to one another. I have all the Dream and Sengoku's. I'm going to break them out and watch them again. -thank you brotha for reminding me of that fight.

I agree with you about GSP and Penn, Aoki wouldn't be able to cope with either GSP or Penn's physicality.

GSP would just bull him around. BJ would just sprawl and brawl, and pick him to pieces with his boxing.

Threads : 2
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by sjdrewk View Post
    ..I'll probably shed a tear for Sakurai when he gets pummeled by Diaz because Sakurai has been such a great fighter and he has a tremendous heart.

We're hopefully going to see what happens when Diaz gets his legs chopped for the first time. Sakurai can hang with strikers and I don't know if Diaz is going to want to stand in front of Sakurai with Mach going for the stiff leg kicks.

Who knows? This could still be a terrific fight. Zaromskis beat Mach, but Mach was winning that fight before getting clocked.

Diaz frustrates you with the jabs and then punishes you with the hard body shots. Sakurai has a big reach disadvantage, but he's always been a good mover, good head mover, and stiff leg kicker. His leg kicks may alter Diaz's approach and may cause Diaz to get Mach to the ground.

Diaz also gets tagged quite a bit, and Mach throws a good short hook.

sjdrewk

Quote Originally Posted by HOGEFAN View Post
    We're hopefully going to see what happens when Diaz gets his legs chopped for the first time. Sakurai can hang with strikers and I don't know if Diaz is going to want to stand in front of Sakurai with Mach going for the stiff leg kicks.

Who knows? This could still be a terrific fight. Zaromskis beat Mach, but Mach was winning that fight before getting clocked.

Diaz frustrates you with the jabs and then punishes you with the hard body shots. Sakurai has a big reach disadvantage, but he's always been a good mover, good head mover, and stiff leg kicker. His leg kicks may alter Diaz's approach and may cause Diaz to get Mach to the ground.

Diaz also gets tagged quite a bit, and Mach throws a good short hook.
    I like your outlook on the fight. I really hope Sakurai can pull this off but I just see Diaz as of right now the way he is dismantling top tier opponents and I see the trend Mach's career has taken lately and it really doesn't look like a fight Sakurai can win.

I'd love to see Sakuarai win and Diaz has been clocked before so anything can happen in mma as we all know....but the reach advantage that Diaz has will be hard to overcome. We'll see though, that's what makes mma so compelling. Every match up is different.

• Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information