Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anderson Silva Interested in Moving to 170, Challenging Georges St. Pierre

Threads : 40

Default Anderson Silva Interested in Moving to 170, Challenging Georges St. Pierre

Anderson Silva has a challenge directly in front of him at Saturday's UFC 112, but as he's one to do, he's already looking into the future.

The UFC middleweight champion apparently has his mind on all sorts of scenarios, including a possible drop to 170 pounds to take on Georges St. Pierre, according to an interview with Yahoo's Kevin Iole.

"I'd like to test myself and I always love to take on new challenges," Silva said in the interview. "It's not that I want to go fight Georges St. Pierre for his title. There's no doubt in my mind that he's the reigning champion, the absolute champion, in that weight category. But I just want to test myself and see how I'd do at that weight."

Silva said that if he did it, he'd have to do two fights at 170; one to make sure he could make the weight, and the second a superfight with GSP.

Such a scenario seems somewhat improbable given Silva's size. Though he fought as low as 167 pounds in the early part of his career, he's no longer the wiry kid he used to be. At 6-foot-2, he's fought as a middleweight and light-heavyweight since joining the UFC in 2006, and often gets as high as 215-220 pounds in between fights.

Silva also said he'd consider going in the opposite direction and potentially fighting as a heavyweight.

Neither seems very likely, as Silva's frame seems better suited to the 185-pound and 205-pound divisions. But it seems clear that he's on the hunt for a big challenge as long as he's able to get past Demian Maia on Saturday.

Default Re: Anderson Silva Interested in Moving to 170, Challenging Georges St. Pierre

how do you not love this guy. as great as fedor is, he sits on his *** and waits. anderson wants to fight everybody. he doesn't care.

sjdrewk

Default Re: Anderson Silva Interested in Moving to 170, Challenging Georges St. Pierre

I love Fedor and I love Anderson...... anyway, at this point in Silva's career, I don't think the Spider can make 170 though without wrecking himself physically. The fight would have to be at a catch weight to make any sense. imo.

i don't think he's going to realistically make 170, either. even if he did, what would it do to him to get there?

Threads : 11
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think Georges needs to go up to 185 instead Silva going down to 170.

On the other hand, silva has done the drop before, but it's been awhile.

i think it's highly unlikely that GSP moves up.

Quote Originally Posted by Twisted View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    i think it's highly unlikely that GSP moves up.
    What a ***** that GSP is

i've seen the mental weakness in him more than once.

when he fought matt hughes the first time, he was so intimidated and star struck, he made a rookie mistake and got subbed. that is forgivable, though.

his comments after getting KO'd by serra about not training, trying to make excuses was bull****. have enough respect to admit you trained your *** off, and just got caught.

the greasing. more than one fighter has complained about it, not just BJ. he is talented enough he doesn't need to do that ****.

Threads : 7

170 is way too low for Silva

I am not in favor of this cut

he'd look like corey hill at 170

Quote Originally Posted by Twisted View Post

his comments after getting KO'd by serra about not training, trying to make excuses was bull****. have enough respect to admit you trained your *** off, and just got caught.

This is what bothers me a lot about GSP.

After the Hardy fight, I wanted to puke when he apologized to his fans for not putting together a good fight.

He was almost 100% in that fight. Most fighters would have tapped with those submissions. But Hardy is made of rubber and didn't.

for a guy who has run rough shod over his entire division, and is a top 3 P4P, he makes a hell of a lot of excuses.

sjdrewk

Quote Originally Posted by strummer View Post
    This is what bothers me a lot about GSP.

After the Hardy fight, I wanted to puke when he apologized to his fans for not putting together a good fight.

He was almost 100% in that fight. Most fighters would have tapped with those submissions. But Hardy is made of rubber and didn't.
    Hardy got mauled the entire fight, never really hit GSP with any thing except a few goos punches the entire fight- because he is made of rubber and didn't tap isn't really something to find solace in- Hardy really didn't belong in the ring with GSP. Hardy = good fighter, *But* he is a few caliber notches below GSP.

Threads : 6

Quote Originally Posted by sjdrewk View Post
    Hardy got mauled the entire fight, never really hit GSP with any thing except a few goos punches the entire fight- because he is made of rubber and didn't tap isn't really something to find solace in- Hardy really didn't belong in the ring with GSP. Hardy = good fighter, *But* he is a few caliber notches below GSP.
    Oh no you didn't! Take is easy Strummer, back away from the keyboard before you hurt somebody.

Quote Originally Posted by sjdrewk View Post
    You can say that about any fighters that go up against GSP - they don't deserve to be there.

But, Hardy had every right to be there as any other fighter at 170.

He lasted longer than Hughes, Serra (2), Koshcheck, and BJ Penn.

• Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information