Thread: Pitt's Wannstedt values scrimmages

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Pitt's Wannstedt values scrimmages

Pitt's Wannstedt values scrimmages
    Saturday, April 10, 2010
    By Paul Zeise, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

[IMGR]http://i44.tinypic.com/25644dt.jpg[/IMGR]Pitt will have its second scrimmage of the spring this morning, and it will be their final tuneup before the Blue-Gold Spring game next Saturday.

Panthers coach Dave Wannstedt said that the scrimmages are important, particularly in the spring, because he and his staff are able to watch tapes of them and evaluate the improvement -- or lack of it -- in his players.

"It really isn't about evaluating the offenses or defenses because, well, for one thing we aren't game-planning on offense for the scrimmages," Wannstedt said, "I think what we want to see is who can get out there and execute the things we are asking them to do. So, I don't put nearly as much stock in what we do on offense or defense as much as making sure that we are getting better individually and as a team."

Wannstedt said the format for the scrimmage will be similar to the one last week, meaning that most players will get between 25 and 30 plays, there will be little kicking, and it will be more situational than actually playing a game.

The first-team offense will play against the first-team defense, but he added that the coaches would be "smart" about how much some of the key players -- like tailback Dion Lewis and wide receiver Jon Baldwin -- actually play.

"The guys really get into [scrimmages]," Wannstedt said. "When you get into the fourth week of spring practice, it can become monotonous without any games coming. Scrimmages really help break it up."

[HIGH-LIGHT]Quarterbacks progressing[/HIGH-LIGHT]
    Tino Sunseri remains the No. 1 quarterback and continues to take all the snaps with the first team, but Wannstedt said he has been happy with both quarterbacks and believes the position is in good hands regardless of who starts.

"Both have completed more than 70 percent of their passes," Wannstedt said. "It is a nice problem to have.

"I think when you compare them, Pat [Bostick] is more knowledgeable while Tino has a little more arm strength and athletic ability.

"[Tino] is working with the first team, but, if Pat was in there, nobody would be looking around in the huddle with any doubt that we couldn't win the game."

[HIGH-LIGHT]Quick hits[/HIGH-LIGHT]
    Cornerback Aundre Wright (knee) and wide receiver Ed Tinker (hand) are out for the remainder of the spring. Defensive end Jabaal Sheard (hand) will participate in drills but will face limited contact the remainder of spring. ... The Panthers practiced in shoulder pads and shorts Friday in order to preserve their legs for the scrimmage. This is the only week of the spring with practice three days in a row. ... Wannstedt was asked whether starters who get rest days no longer have to prove themselves. "[No.] I've always believed that whether a player is first-year player or a five-year all-conference player, every player has to perform at the highest level he is capable of," Wannstedt said. "This is a game where last year was last year, and you need to work to perfect your skills."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10100/1049369-233.stm
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 48
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Pitt's Wannstedt values scrimmages

Shame he doesn't value QBs like he values scrimmages.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information