Thread: Duke to start in place of D. McCutchen

Threads : 85
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Duke to start in place of D. McCutchen

http://pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2010_04_10_pitmlb_arimlb_1&mode=preview

The Arizona Diamonbacks have never opened up 4-1 in any of the prior 12 seasons of their existence. Chances of that historic first would appear to be in good hands Saturday night.

Rather, in a good arm, the right one of Dan Haren, who will attempt to confirm the best start in club history when he takes on the Pirates at Chase Field.

Haren, who three-hit San Diego through seven innings in his Opening Night win, will be opposed by the Pirates' Zach Duke.

Daniel McCutchen was originally slated to go for the Bucs but, in a decision announced following Friday night's loss, manager John Russell decided to move up Duke, who had been scheduled to go in Sunday's series finale.

Duke thus will take his turn on regular four days' rest. He was Pittsburgh's Opening Day pitcher on Monday, lasting five innings in an 11-5 triumph over the Dodgers.

If only Russell could similarly rearrange the Pirates' fortunes away from PNC Park.

The Bucs have now dropped 51 of their last 66 road games. Unless they can regroup and take the last two games from Arizona, they will also remain with only two road series wins out of their last 24.

To brake those trends, all they have to do is start by overcoming an All-Star right-hander who has dropped only 27 of his last 101 starts, reverting to his final season with Oakland in 2007.

The good guys -- or at least, the guys who were better Friday night -- definitely wear black. The D-backs will don their Saturday black jerseys for the first time this season, but the hue of the uniforms will not match the mood of manager A.J. Hinch's boys.

In equalling their 2000 edition's 3-1 start as the franchise's best to date, the D-backs continued to enjoy the resurgence of Chris Young, whose grand slam accounted for the bulk of his five RBIs, and also welcomed Adam LaRoche to the party. The first baseman drove in three runs with his first two hits of the season.

Pirates: Bucs awaiting Hanrahan's return
    Manager Russell continued to bat his pitchers in the No. 8 slot, where starter Charlie Morton fanned in both of his at-bats. Right-hander Joel Hanrahan (right elbow) is due for another rehab outing for Class A Bradenton on Saturday, after which he will be re-evaluated. Pending that, he could be activated on Monday, when the Bucs open a series in San Francisco.

D-backs: LaRoche breaks through at plate
    LaRoche shed a heavy collar with his go-ahead two-run single in the third; until then, he had been hitless in 13 at-bats this season, seven of them ending in strikeouts. In addition to earning his first victory with Arizona, Rodrigo Lopez picked up the third hit of his career on a third-inning single. The 34-year-old righty has spent the bulk of his career with the American League's Orioles.

I rather like this move. Shows a sense of urgency that hopefully will provide some spark in these young bucs. I hope duke is up to this challenge, i am not sure but i dont think Duke has ever pitched on 4 days rest. I feel bad for Daniel as this could show a lack of confidence in him, but hopefully he is smart enough to know that this is a move to rattle the team and not an attack of his pitching in particular. Last nights game ****ed me off quite a bit and i hope this shakes these guys up.

Threads : 691

Default Re: Duke to start in place of D. McCutchen

Tonights game isn't televised is it?
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

no TV tonight, FSN has hockey

This will be the one and only time i wish VS. had the game tonight

Threads : 691

Quote Originally Posted by jleisele58 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    no TV tonight, FSN has hockey
    That's what I thought,thanks. Sucks that I would have really liked to have watched,as I have nothing going on tonight.
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't know. I'm not really in favor of this move. What does Daniel Mccutchen have to do to be given a fair chance? He did what he needed to do to make the starting rotation in spring training and now he's not even getting a chance. It's a 162 game schedule on a team that's not going to compete for a division or wild card. This season is more about finding out what guys like Daniel McCutchen have
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Quote Originally Posted by buccoray61 View Post
    Tonights game isn't televised is it?
    MLB NETWORK according to Dejan

I have to change that above

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    I don't know. I'm not really in favor of this move. What does Daniel Mccutchen have to do to be given a fair chance? He did what he needed to do to make the starting rotation in spring training and now he's not even getting a chance. It's a 162 game schedule on a team that's not going to compete for a division or wild card. This season is more about finding out what guys like Daniel McCutchen have
    I think he will still get his shot, but i like the strong message early in the season. I agree this season is about finding out what we have, but i also think this season is about letting these guys know that losing is not acceptable, we are going to do everything we can to put W's up.

I think he will still get his shot, but i like the strong message early in the season. I agree this season is about finding out what we have, but i also think this season is about letting these guys know that losing is not acceptable, we are going to do everything we can to put W's up.
    But how is it fair to Daniel McCutchen who hasn't been given a chance to prove this year if he can win or lose or play well enough to win to have that opportunity taken away?

I understand "wanting" to win, but how is starting duke in place of a guy that's yet to pitch this season proving that? I think this is either a knee jerk reaction by Russell who isn't the best decision making manager out there or this was preconceived earlier since there seems to be this attitude amongst the FO that they really don't want Daniel McCutchen in the Starting rotation. they did everything possible to hand Hart the job and since then the very first things we've heard is how Mccutchen could be sent down after 1 start (which was supposed to be today) and how the FO wants Hart to succeed etc...

I'd much rather see how Daniel McCutchen does than pitch Duke every 4 days

Threads : 197

This isn't actually a change at all. The original plan has always been for McCutchen's first start to be on Sunday the 11th. I think you can find articles saying that dating all the way back to when Hart was first sent down. The 5th starter's first spot is on the 11th and the next one the 24th. All that happened was someone printed the media notes wrong for this series so some of the reporters thought McCutchen was starting Saturday. They asked Russell about it and he said the plan was to throw Duke so they thought he changed the rotation when in reality it's been set that way all along. They want the top 4 guys throwing on normal rest. Pitching Duke Sunday would give him an extra day off which he apparently doesn't like.

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    But how is it fair to Daniel McCutchen who hasn't been given a chance to prove this year if he can win or lose or play well enough to win to have that opportunity taken away?

I understand "wanting" to win, but how is starting duke in place of a guy that's yet to pitch this season proving that? I think this is either a knee jerk reaction by Russell who isn't the best decision making manager out there or this was preconceived earlier since there seems to be this attitude amongst the FO that they really don't want Daniel McCutchen in the Starting rotation. they did everything possible to hand Hart the job and since then the very first things we've heard is how Mccutchen could be sent down after 1 start (which was supposed to be today) and how the FO wants Hart to succeed etc...

I'd much rather see how Daniel McCutchen does than pitch Duke every 4 days
    After getting absolutely crushed 2 games in a row, i wouldnt call it knee jerk as much as shaking things up before we end up 2-15. Hopefully McCutchen will get his start tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by jnn123 View Post
    This isn't actually a change at all. The original plan has always been for McCutchen's first start to be on Sunday the 11th. I think you can find articles saying that dating all the way back to when Hart was first sent down. The 5th starter's first spot is on the 11th and the next one the 24th. All that happened was someone printed the media notes wrong for this series so some of the reporters thought McCutchen was starting Saturday. They asked Russell about it and he said the plan was to throw Duke so they thought he changed the rotation when in reality it's been set that way all along. They want the top 4 guys throwing on normal rest. Pitching Duke Sunday would give him an extra day off which he apparently doesn't like.
    So in other words i was just suckered by the media into thinking this was something its not. ****ers

So in other words i was just suckered by the media into thinking this was something its not. ****ers
    Until I see Daniel mccutchen make an actual start all I see is a guy not being given a fair chance to prove himself or not...

The conspiracy theories are just for fun

Threads : 91
    Sports Logo Sports Logo

They did the same thing with Karstens last year. Skipped him anytime there was an extra day off in there.
    "Nice catch, Hayes. Don't ever ****in' do it again." -Lou Brown

Threads : 2

Terrible to see what happened to DM last night, he allowed 9 runs on 6 hits, including three home runs, it was the sort of nightmare that can even ruin a career in the bigs unless he shows real character and comes back with some better stuff next time.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information