Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reasons the Pens won't repeat

Threads : 40
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Reasons the Pens won't repeat

After another embarrassing loss to an Atlanta team with nothing to play for and for the Pens a second place finish, this is why I believe they won't repeat.

1. Malkin, once not only the best player on the team, but in the league last year, is not half the player he was going into these playoffs. Senseless penalities at the absolute worst time in the game all year long. Whatever Geno's issues are, he has fallen from the elite players to one that needs a message sent to him that these penalties will not be tolerated. If he continues this in the playoffs, I say bench his ***. Nothing else is getting thuru to him.

2. MAF - Does anyone really feel safe with any lead with him this year? I don't, I fully expect him to give up the first goal and at least one goal a game where you scratch your head. Sorry to Errey and Stiegy, but not every team just happens to outplay us every game. There is no answer for this guy, but to expect him to simply turn it on playoff time is unrealistic. When is the last time he stole a game for us? When is the last time the other goalie outplayed him? That answer is just about 75% of the time now.

3. Trades haven't worked, I love Shero, but just like Patrick, at some point the guys brought in don't fit. Poni, I hate to say is one of them, he teases you but just doesn't produce. Playing for a big free agent contract should do the trick. It hasn't.

4. Go-Go, the more I watch, the more I cringe. Almost evey pass to him, requires him to settle the puck down. He gets beat way to easy because of his size. He is a huge negative to me in the playoffs and will be exposed badly.

5. Caps and Devil factor, I don't even think Pens players believe they can beat either in 7 games now. You don't win the cup expecting other teams to knock the competition out.

6. Feds and Talbot. Track records are great, but neither is playing hockey that makes you feel good about them. I just don't see the same effort from either one of them this year. Talbot has been hurt, Feds, just seems to be going tru the motions. I am not expecting much from either one.

Prediction - Pens beat Sens 4 games to 2. Lose to Capitals 4 games to 1.

Threads : 206
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Reasons the Pens won't repeat

I agree with all of your points. Plus I'd add ...

... other role players haven't stepped up. TFK has been MIA. Kunitz can't seem to stay healthy. Billy G. is playing well at times, but then he misses scoring chances that leave you scratching your head.

.... turnovers! The Pens have no problem making blind passes to the other team... over and over!

... overall lack of "skilled" players. Outside of Malkin and Crosby, who else do they have? ...just a bunch of grinders. This team probably has too many North Americans on it. Where are the Swedes and Fins?

..... coaching! The YP is horrible and teams that trap the Pens, beat the Pens! How about a change in strategy guys? Plus the Pens lack focus! (see Malkin and Fleury) At some point the coaches need to be held accountable. Also the "Captain" needs to be held accountable. Rally your troups Sid! Yes you lead by example (90% of the time) but it's time to get vocal and get in some faces. Quit your slashing and cross checking and purse swinging and body check some ****ers!

... and that just the tip of the iceberg.

The fan in me would like to think that the Pens can beat the Sens, but I'm not betting on it. Too much has to change for the Pens to be taken seriously. If they come out and win games 1 & 2 impressively, I might change my mind. But for now Sens in 6.

Threads : 34

This doesn't have anything to do with their current play, but I just gotta wonder when Sid and Geno are gonna get legitimate help on their wings. I mean, we have the 2 best centers in the world on our team, and only 1 winger who has been with the team all year has broke the 20 goal plateau. Billy guerin...with a whopping 21 goals. This drives me nuts. I don't care how good of a 3rd line center Jordan Staal is, You gotta put some sort of talent around Sid and Geno. Geno put the Pens on his back last year and carried them through the playoffs, you can't expect that to happen every year. those guys are the 2 best playmakers in the game, but they have NO ONE who can keep up with them. Sid and Geno should each have a 30 goal scoring winger on their lines...and I'm not talking about going out and getting a guy like Danny Heatly, I'm just talking about putting a guy with skill on their lines who they can turn into a 30 goal scorer. Pascal Dupuis is not that guy. Billy Guerin is too old to be that guy. PUT SOME TALENT BESIDE THESE TWO GUYS BEFORE WE **** AWAY THEIR PRIME YEARS!!!!!!!!!!
    The only player in the NHL more overpaid than MAF is Jordan Staal

I heard an interview with Robbie Brown the other day, and he said it perfectly. When asked about how he was able to produce so well on Mario's line...I'm paraphrasing here...but he said something like ...you don't have to be the most talented player in the world to produce playing beside a guy like Mario, but you do have to be able to think on the same lines as him and put yourself in positions where Mario can find you and make one of his Mario-esque passes and you just have to have your stick on the ice and you get a goal. We have no one who can do that on our team.

Quote Originally Posted by BGK View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sid and Geno should each have a 30 goal scoring winger on their lines...and I'm not talking about going out and getting a guy like Danny Heatly, [HIGH-LIGHT]I'm just talking about putting a guy with skill on their lines who they can turn into a 30 goal scorer.[/HIGH-LIGHT]
    ... like Matt Moulson turning into a 29 goal scorer playing on John Tavares line.

Threads : 47
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I certainly wish we had a right handed shot that could score. I agree that we don't have anybody on the wing with a sniper like mentality other than Billy G who simply can't keep up with Sid or Geno at his age. Dupuis has speed to burn but he has no finish. Kunitz has value but he is a pure grinder. Feds is not consistent and has too many holes in his game, TFK is a poor man's Kunitz. Unless Poni shows me something in the playoffs he is just like the others and the trade for him was useless.

I don't think we have anyone on the farm with the potential to fill the role of a scoring winger. I am not sold on Gradi yet. I hope I am wrong but lets be honest, Grandi was a 2nd round pick, he is now 21 and he is not producing like a true scorer in WBS. Sometimes bigger guys take a bit longer to develop and I hope that is the case with Tangradi.

That leaves us back to Gonch and the signing of Letang. I don't think Gonch will be back and we will spend our money to go after a FA winger with a scoring touch. Someone like Tanguay, Frolov, Kariya and Hejduk are all available. I think we go after one of them or maybe 2 of them as we could probably land Tanguay cheap for a year.

sjdrewk

I'm not making any predictions as to why or why the Pens will not repeat....just want to say that I'm going to just watch the playoffs knowing that the Pens have a great shot to make it to the Stanley cup finals because the East is wide open with perhaps only three legit contenders to represent the East. And look, most in here a week ago said they weren't worried about things and that the Pens were bored and will turn it on in the playoffs. What happened to that sense of confidence? Those that said that should still feel that way.
    Last edited by sjdrewk; Apr-11-2010 at 01:23 PM.

Threads : 35
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PSmitty View Post
    I certainly wish we had a right handed shot that could score. I agree that we don't have anybody on the wing with a sniper like mentality other than Billy G who simply can't keep up with Sid or Geno at his age. Dupuis has speed to burn but he has no finish. Kunitz has value but he is a pure grinder. Feds is not consistent and has too many holes in his game, TFK is a poor man's Kunitz. Unless Poni shows me something in the playoffs he is just like the others and the trade for him was useless.

[HIGH-LIGHT]I don't think we have anyone on the farm with the potential to fill the role of a scoring winger. I am not sold on Gradi yet. I hope I am wrong but lets be honest, Grandi was a 2nd round pick, he is now 21 and he is not producing like a true scorer in WBS. Sometimes bigger guys take a bit longer to develop and I hope that is the case with Tangradi.[/HIGH-LIGHT]

That leaves us back to Gonch and the signing of Letang. I don't think Gonch will be back and we will spend our money to go after a FA winger with a scoring touch. Someone like Tanguay, Frolov, Kariya and Hejduk are all available. I think we go after one of them or maybe 2 of them as we could probably land Tanguay cheap for a year.
    not disagreeing about Tangradi, but he was injured for quite some time if I remember right, and before his injury he was one of the top scorers on the team. He played 65 of 79 games, and we have seen this year even on the big club that the players comin back from injuries hadn't looked the same, so I'm not makin excuses, just giving an observation
    Last edited by Pens5818; Apr-11-2010 at 01:27 PM.
    formerly known as Eagle7187

Gonch is as good as gone. Letang needs to spend the off season in Sid's parents basement shooting pucks into the dryer!

I don't see Poni coming back, so as far as getting a guy with a scoring touch, I'd rather see the Pens go after someone younger (than those you listed...minus Frolov, he's younger.) The Pens need a guy they can keep around for a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by (419)BlackNGold View Post
    Gonch is as good as gone. Letang needs to spend the off season in Sid's parents basement shooting pucks into the dryer!

I don't see Poni coming back, so [HIGH-LIGHT]as far as getting a guy with a scoring touch, I'd rather see the Pens go after someone younger (than those you listed...minus Frolov, he's younger.) The Pens need a guy they can keep around for a few years.[/HIGH-LIGHT]

Threads : 47
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by (419)BlackNGold View Post

I don't see Poni coming back, so as far as getting a guy with a scoring touch, I'd rather see the Pens go after someone younger (than those you listed...minus Frolov, he's younger.) The Pens need a guy they can keep around for a few years.
    If there was a guy out there for us I'm all game. I just have a feeling Shero is going short term contract.

If there was a guy out there for us I'm all game. I just have a feeling Shero is going short term contract.
    There's gotta be someone out there. If the Isles can turn Moulson into a 30 goal scorer... there's hope.

The problem with the veteran signings is they are going to want a multi-year deal and they'll be crap the last year of the deal. But, I'm all for getting a guy like Hejduk or Kariya as a rental at trade deadline.

Threads : 29

Even Steigy, the ultimate optimistic Pens homer, commented during both games this weekend how the past two weeks they've continually turned the puck over in their own end. And that was against teams, outside of the Caps, who aren't as good as the Sens.

Threads : 135

Quote Originally Posted by The Sodfather View Post
    Even Steigy, the ultimate optimistic Pens homer, commented during both games this weekend how the past two weeks they've continually turned the puck over in their own end. [HIGH-LIGHT]And that was against teams, outside of the Caps, who aren't as good as the Sens.[/HIGH-LIGHT]
    I agree with you there. To me, it seems like the problem with the team, and even fans keep saying it, is that there is no urgency...people think that the team will just flip a switch once it turns from "regular season" to "post season." But I am not sure that such a switch exists...they haven't played with urgency...haven't played like a team wanting to win...they haven't really even played as a team lately. I HOPE they do find some switch and perform well in the playoffs...they certainly have the talent to do it. I am just not convinced that will happen.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Quote Originally Posted by BigBen2112 View Post
    I agree with you there. To me, it seems like the problem with the team, and even fans keep saying it, is that there is no urgency...people think that the team will just flip a switch once it turns from "regular season" to "post season." But I am not sure that such a switch exists...they haven't played with urgency...haven't played like a team wanting to win...they haven't really even played as a team lately. I HOPE they do find some switch and perform well in the playoffs...they certainly have the talent to do it. I am just not convinced that will happen.
    I agree with ya man! But wouldn't it be cool if they did flip a switch! It would be the greatest rope-a-dope ever. All along playing half *** on purpose to lull the rest of the league into a false confidence. Bylsma would be a genius!

But reality is... there's film out there on how to beat the Penguins. Last year, opposing coaches weren't 100% sure what to expect from the Pens. Now they do!

I hope the Pens have a Plan B, they are waiting until the playoffs to unleash! If not it's going to be tough!

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information