Thread: Who calls a game?

Threads : 413

Default Who calls a game?

Maybe this is something that is over the top, but I didn't understand the comments made about Morton's last appearance. He started off lights out and then, as mentioned, the second trip through the order fell apart.

In an interview, he said he started off throwing FB's early but got away from it. So my question is, where the hell does Donut fall in this, or Kerrigan for that matter? THEY are the ones who basically call the game, right? Sure a pitcher can call off a sign, but every batter?

Some of the blame, if that's what we want to call it, is not on Morton. His job is to throw the pitch called to the best of his ability. He may on any given day have better command of one pitch over another, but the idea is to use other pitches to set that one up.

Or am I missing something.

Threads : 5
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Who calls a game?

From what I understand, they go into the game with a plan for each batter. I'm fairly certain that Doumit calls the pitches with what is working. At least that is what they are doing with Sanchez in the minors. The worry they had with Sanchez was, could he call a game.

I'm sure Doumit talks with Russell and Kerrigan during their offensive part of the innning, but ultimately, it's Doumit who calls the pitches. If Charlie doesn't feel right about it, he can shake that off.

Threads : 85
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Who calls a game?

Quote Originally Posted by GeoPittsburghFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    From what I understand, they go into the game with a plan for each batter. I'm fairly certain that Doumit calls the pitches with what is working. At least that is what they are doing with Sanchez in the minors. The worry they had with Sanchez was, could he call a game.

I'm sure Doumit talks with Russell and Kerrigan during their offensive part of the innning, but ultimately, it's Doumit who calls the pitches. If Charlie doesn't feel right about it, he can shake that off.
    I personally think doumits game calling is somewhat suspect. Especially given what jaramillo and diaz did while he was out last year. I also think that while some of the more experienced pitchers (duke for instance) have no problems shaking off signs, i think that the younger guys morton just as soon follow doumits signs than think on their own. I thinks its part of the growing pains with young pitchers.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information