Thread: Alvarez, classic corner power hitter

Threads : 85
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Alvarez, classic corner power hitter

As excited as i was for the debut of McCutchen last year, I am more excited for the debut of our #1 minor league start Pedro Alvarez. He is the classic example of a corner power hitter, the likes of which the Pirates haven't seen around here since the days of Aramis Ramirez. He has the raw power, the youth, and a strong arm to play third for a number of years. There has been talk around this town of converting Alvarez to a first baseman. I firmly believe this is a move that will be done, but much later in his career. His work ethic has kept his weight down, and his subsequently his range will be adequate enough to hold on to the third base spot for several years.

His bat should, and will, keep him implanted firmly in our lineup as that scary cleanup hitter we have been lacking for far too many years. His debut in Indy has started out with a bang. Through 13 at bats he as a OBP of .375 and slugging .923 with 7 RBI. This with only 3 games under his belt. Oh yeah, he is going to strike out, and strike out quite a bit. Even at that he is still going to scare pitchers into making mistakes, and mistakes will translate into homeruns, big towering blasts, with an in-flight movie and a dinner. Watch out NL Central the Pittsburgh Pirates are creeping into view and their riding in the passing lane.
    Last edited by Kipper; Jan-03-2011 at 03:24 PM.

Threads : 94

Default Re: Alvarez, classic corner power hitter

Quote Originally Posted by jleisele58 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As excited as i was for the debut of McCutchen last year, I am more excited for the debut of our #1 minor league start Pedro Alvarez. He is the classic example of a corner power hitter, the likes of which the Pirates haven't seen around here since the days of Aramis Ramirez. He has the raw power, the youth, and a strong arm to play third for a number of years. There has been talk around this town of converting Alvarez to a first baseman. I firmly believe this is a move that will be done, but much later in his career. [HIGH-LIGHT]His work ethic has kept his weight down[/HIGH-LIGHT], and his subsequently his range will be adequate enough to hold on to the third base spot for several years.

His bat should, and will, keep him implanted firmly in our lineup as that scary cleanup hitter we have been lacking for far too many years. His debut in Indy has started out with a bang. Through 13 at bats he as a OBP of .375 and slugging .923 with 7 RBI. This with only 3 games under his belt. Oh yeah, he is going to strike out, and strike out quite a bit. Even at that he is still going to scare pitchers into making mistakes, and mistakes will translate into homeruns, big towering blasts, with an in-flight movie and a dinner. Watch out NL Central the Pittsburgh Pirates are creeping into view and their riding in the passing lane.
    He still is pretty big and he still struggles against lefties..

Threads : 85
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Alvarez, classic corner power hitter

Quote Originally Posted by PittFaninVa View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He still is pretty big and he still struggles against lefties..
    he is still big, but he worked off 12 to 15 lbs in the offseason, and as far as lefties time will tell if he can figure them out, i got my fingers crossed

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information